Jamaca/Key West your opinion on these ports.

I just saw someone on this board say that Jamaca "is a dump". I would like other opinions on these ports (Jamaca/Key West). We are booked going to Jamaca on Enchantment On the Seas 12/09/06 and I am wondering if this is a port worth seeing. I personally would rather see Key West but I don't see Key West offered during this time of year.

Thank you

Minybear

I can only speak to Key West as I've never been to Jamaca.

Key West is like no other place, everything is different there. It is so laid back and nobody is in a hurry (the locals). Shirt and Shoes NOT required. I've vacationed there 5 times and it usually takes me about two days just to wind down enough to get to their speed. From a cruise ship stop perspective, you wont be there long enough to really get the 'feel' of the island, but you will love the culture, diverse population, and the sights.

I have not been to Key West, so can't comment on that. However, I was in Jamaica last year and really enjoyed it. Found it to be very beautiful. Climbed Dunn's River Falls and took a tour of the island. Peat Taylor was the tour guide and I highly reccommend him. Jamaica is a very poor island and they do have a certain amount of crime. If you stay with a tour group, you shouldn't have any problems at all. I found the people there to be very friendly.

I was in Jamaica with RCI cruise about two years ago -- had a wonderful day with Guide Carolyn Barrett (Barrett Adventures) -- went to some older "way stations" in the mountains -- stopped to get Red Stripe beers, and to eat jerk chicken at a place the locals go ...toured, via van, some of the older towns.

We probably are in the minority on this Board, as we really like Jamaica. I like Key West (totally different atmospheres) too!

Key West is great. We have been there several times and going again in September. Lots to see. Just walk all over the place. Good bars and restaurants. Mallory Square at sunset.

Been to Montego Bay once. Beautiful island. Pushy vendors. I would not want to just walk around on my own there. That being said I would not stay on the ship at any port.

Key West is great. We have been there several times and going again in September. Lots to see. Just walk all over the place. Good bars and restaurants. Mallory Square at sunset.

Been to Montego Bay once. Beautiful island. Pushy vendors. I would not want to just walk around on my own there. That being said I would not stay on the ship at any port.

I agree, liked Key West. We rented scooters and had a great time. In Jamaica the people are to pushy, tryed to sell me drugs dozen or more times. They don't like to take a no thank you. Still would not stay on the ship in any port.

We visited Jamaica on the Enchantment this past January. Second time there and would easily go back again. We used a private tour guide this time, Peat Taylor. www.peattaylor.com He treated us wonderfully and we did everything we wanted to for a great price. River Tubing, climbed Dunns River Falls. These are must dos when in Ocho Rios. Have fun and get off the ship. Check out the Jamaica boards on the Ports of Call section here and you can get many varying experiences.

I've been to both places several times including this year and like them both for different reasons.

Jamaica has been much maligned on these boards but if you're careful there is a lot to see and do. At first we took ship tours and then last winter decided to book the river tubing on our own through Peat Taylor. It was much less costly, less crowded and more personalized. I would highly recommend him. To be on the safe side, I wouldn't go wandering around on my own. However we have only met gracious and friendly people when there.

Key West, while a great stop has changed a lot over the last few years. It is laid back and casual for sure. Definately a late night town. But the independant feel that was so prominent has faded with the arrival of so many cruise ships. Instead of unique shops on Duval Street, there are all the usual stores you'll find in any Caribbean port. That's not to say it isn't an enjoyable stop because it is. My problem is that I loved the Key West of old and it's fast becoming a thing of the past.

Beth

have been to Ocho Rios area on a land based vacation and just got back from 4 days in KW. Completely agree with all the other posters above. Key West is fantastic, but did not feel particularly safe outside the Sandals resort in Jamaica. Suggest an organized shore excursion in Ocho Rios, in particular, Dunns River Falls. Just stay away from the shopping area there.

Thanks everyone for your replys. Looks like Jamaca is "ok/safe" if you stay within your tour group. Other then that looks like it may be a little unsafe to adventure out by yourselves or go even to their shopping area. (yikes)

I really want to see Key West but I don't see if offered for 5 night Western cruise in Dec/2006. Right now sticking with Jamaca and staying with the tour group.

Thanks everyone.

Minybear

Thanks everyone for your replys. Looks like Jamaca is "ok/safe" if you stay within your tour group. Other then that looks like it may be a little unsafe to adventure out by yourselves or go even to their shopping area. (yikes)

I really want to see Key West but I don't see if offered for 5 night Western cruise in Dec/2006. Right now sticking with Jamaca and staying with the tour group.

Thanks everyone.

Minybear

The Island Village is a shopping area that contains Margaritaville among other places. That place is very safe to go to on your own. Also only a short walk from the pier.

Key West, while a great stop has changed a lot over the last few years. It is laid back and casual for sure. Definately a late night town. But the independant feel that was so prominent has faded with the arrival of so many cruise ships. Instead of unique shops on Duval Street, there are all the usual stores you'll find in any Caribbean port. That's not to say it isn't an enjoyable stop because it is. My problem is that I loved the Key West of old and it's fast becoming a thing of the past.

If you want to see the Key West of 'old', you need to stay off of Duval street and head north along the shore. There you'll find where the locals hang out and the restaurants and bars they frequent. Such a difference from the hustle of Duval street. Nothing like eating fantastic food with chickens running around inside the restaurant and the owner's dog sacked out in the middle of the floor. Again, like no other place!!! My advice is to get a scooter and venture off the beaten path. You'll find an entirely different Key West than you are used to.

If you want to see the Key West of 'old', you need to stay off of Duval street and head north along the shore. There you'll find where the locals hang out and the restaurants and bars they frequent. Such a difference from the hustle of Duval street. Nothing like eating fantastic food with chickens running around inside the restaurant and the owner's dog sacked out in the middle of the floor. Again, like no other place!!! My advice is to get a scooter and venture off the beaten path. You'll find an entirely different Key West than you are used to.

I'm pretty familiar with KW and visit fairly often and I know where you mean. But I still miss some of my favourite shops the used to be on or near Duval Street.

Beth

Key West is beautiful and a lot of fun... Jamaica IS a dump, it's the armpit of the Caribbean!

Do the EASTERN Caribbean, the islands are a lot nicer and prettier than the Western.

Wow, that's pretty harsh. If you really get down to the nitty gritty the couple of bahama islands I have been to and cozumel were right "trashy"....but the people were friendly and the waters are gorgeous! We spent a week in Montego Bay and visited Ocho Rios and Negril....we didn't find it to be a "dump"...The vendors are pushy, but no different that many other islands, they rely on tourists and their cash...We have loved all the islands we have visited, some more than others. The bottom line is you always have to be cautious.

Personally, I really dislike Jamaica. I have been to Ocho Rios and Montego Bay. The people are VERY pushy - and it leaves you feeling very uncomfortable. Everything they do they do for money. However, Jamaica is a beautiful, lush tropical island. I just like other islands so much better. The last cruise we went on, we took a snorkel trip off the dock for a few hours and never even went onto the island, even though my children had never been there before.

Key West is wonderful!! I got married there last November and had time to really explore the island. It is nearly impossible to compare the 2 islands - they are absolutely nothing alike. Key West is an American tropical island with history and fun things to do. People either love Jamaica or hate it. Me - take me ANYWHERE but there.

Stacy

My post an hour ago never made it to the site. When I hit submit the screen froze. Instead of retyping everything I will give you the cliff notes.

Vendors are pushy.

Outside of Island Village there is a fenced in area with Vendors. They are very pushy. DO NOT GO THERE!!!!!!!!!! Only 1 or 2 exits and once in there it reeks like pot.

If you do end up here DO NOT SHAKE ANY ONES HAND. I know this sound rude but vendors will shake your hand then pull you into there tents and will not want to let go until you buy something.

We were off the ship for 1.5 to 2 hours and were offered drugs over a dozen times, however the Drug dealers are less pushy then some vendors. If you "just say no" (I know it sounds funny) they will leave you alone and bother the next person they see.

DO A TOUR either a ship tour or someone CC trust. Pushy vendors and drug dealers for the most part stay away from these.

As the previous poster -- my Reply never made it to the site -- some minutes ago.

Nosnowbunny, good to see you on the Boards ;)

It must have been great to see Key West in the old days -- before all the cruise ships started calling ...

I would not go about Jamaica without a guide, or go on a ship's tour -- if nothing else, the guide can help run interference with the vendors. Also, if you want to see some remote spots, as we do, I feel safer with the guide. All in all, the history of Jamaica is very interesting.

Jamaica is definitely not a "dump". Like many have said , there are some unsavory types you should avoid and some very pushy vendors. Go with someone like Peat Taylor or Carolyn Barrett (she is an American married to a Jamaican, knows everyone, and gives an excellent tour--I think her website is barretttours.com). Jamaica has beautiful mountains and beaches and a lot of interesting history. Unfortunately, like a lot of other places including some in the good ol' US of A, there are creepy types who have become more visible in recent years. DH and I visited Jamaica 25 years ago and roamed all over (on a motor scooter) with no problems. We even became very friendly with a restaurant owner and was invited to his home. To this day, Jamaica is DH favorite island. Just use common sense and enjoy all your ports of call!!!

First Impressions mean a lot when you go somewhere:

Key West when you get off the ship: Quaint little town, historic, fishing village - translation ==> Nice little cruise stop.

Jamacia when you get off the ship: 'sluumy' looking buildings, beggars in the steets, crappy small streets, signs all over about 'gun court' and 'drug smuggling' - translation ===> SLUM.

It is what it is........

Been to both on land based vacations and Key West MANY times on both cruises and land based.

When people ask me what my two favorite places in the world are, I tell them

#1 - Key West

#2 - Jamaica

So you can see why this thread caught my eye.

I went to Jamaica (Montego Bay, Ocho Rios and Negril) on vacation with 7 of my girlfriends. We had a SPLENDID time. We did not confine ourselves to the resort and we stayed as a group at all times. We were offered drugs and sex, but NEVER "hounded" about it. The vendors that tried to "lure" us in, we stayed away from and the ones that didn't we got some AWESOME souvineers. (I came home with handpainted works of art, a couple dresses, handmade sandals, a lot of rum, and a tanzanite ring (had it appraised, yes it's real) and didn't spend more than $250 american dollars). Don't venture out alone, but that's not Jamaica, that's smart travel ANYWHERE. I don't walk around Columbus, Ohio on my own either...Go for the flavor of the island. I've heard of a lot of people using Jamaican tour guides and they sseem like a great way to see the island. We're debating using one on our next cruise stop in Ocho, but we're VERY laid back people and don't want to follow a "tour". So I think we're hopping an EARLY taxi to Dunn's, shopping a bit, asking our taxi driver his favorite spot for lunch, making our way to Wassi Pottery, and spending the rest of the time at Margaritaville playing on the beach with margaritas!

Key West - a MUCH better land vacation than cruise ship stop. Sometime in your life, do what I did and rent a red convertible Mustang, put the top down, and drive down route 1 to Key West. Stay 3 days, and drive back. AMAZING little breather. I have many friends down there now. :) Yes, Duval is getting very "touristy". I perfer Capt. Tony's over Sloppy Joes for that reason. Go to Kermit's Key Lime Shop and get the Key Lime Pie. The Trolley stops and lets you off at different locations, the Conch Tour Train does not. Both are neat tours. Margaritaville is crowded and a long walk from the peir, but worth it. The Southernmost point is a longer walk, not as crowded, but also worth it. Get Flamingo's Ice Cream when at the Southernmost and check out the butterfly conservatory. I'm 27 and like a good party and LOVED the conservatory, so did DH. DO IT ON YOUR OWN do NOT take the cruise tour. They were herded through like cattle.

Either way - in my opinion, DON'T stay on the ship in either location. Have an open mind, be "aware" of your surroundings, and enjoy the fact you're not at work. I'd say both places have the attitude of "It's 5:00 somewhere... and somewhere is HERE!"

A Jamaican governor once announced to his people "Don't let the tourists change Jamaica, let Jamaica change the tourist" meaning don't let Jamaica turn into a tourist trap, but let the flavor and culture of the island open the tourists' eyes to a different way of life.

I listened to all the warnings about Jamaica and almost decided to stay on the ship,but when we arrived I was so surprised - it is really beautiful- much moreso than Key West- I didn't think much of that town at all- each person likes something different. To me it was just another T-shirt place. I didn't see anything picturesque, and I did take a tour,but........ just not for me.

Try a little tour of each and decide for yourself.:)

Never been to KW but we have been to Ocho Rios 3 times.

Yes the vendors are pushy at Dunns River Falls - my daughter was uncomfortable when she went with her husband - but my wife was not in the least when she went with me on three occassions. Liked it much better than Martinique.

NEVER had drugs offered

Bought a beautiful braclet at Jewels in Time ( I believe was the name of the place)

Now my hook to Jamaica:

1 - Jamaica Blue Mountain Coffee - USA price $56 per pound at last look

in Ocho Rios you can buy it for about $16-17 a pound. I LOVE JAMAICA BLUE.

2.If you like sipping whiskey - Appletons 21 year Rum - you will not findi t in the US - 18 yr yes 21 yr no - about $25 a bottle.

After a fine dinner - a cup of Jamaica Blue, A snifter of Appletons and a good Cigar - Life does not get much better

Have an Eirey day mon

Archived