Jamaca/Key West your opinion on these ports.

Personally, I really dislike Jamaica. I have been to Ocho Rios and Montego Bay. The people are VERY pushy - and it leaves you feeling very uncomfortable. Everything they do they do for money. However, Jamaica is a beautiful, lush tropical island. I just like other islands so much better. The last cruise we went on, we took a snorkel trip off the dock for a few hours and never even went onto the island, even though my children had never been there before.

Key West is wonderful!! I got married there last November and had time to really explore the island. It is nearly impossible to compare the 2 islands - they are absolutely nothing alike. Key West is an American tropical island with history and fun things to do. People either love Jamaica or hate it. Me - take me ANYWHERE but there.

Stacy

This sums up my experiences in Jamaica - beautiful island, everyone after your money. It's one place - the only place - I would stick with the ship's tour. No - actually when I look at cruises, I quickly discount ones that stop there. It is just a wasted day.

What are some fun things to do with kids in Key West? We don't arrive in port until 3:00pm.

Our Rhapsody of the Sea itinerary got changed from Ocho Rios to Key West. We were going to do Dunn's River Falls. Now, we need to find something else.

What are some fun things to do with kids in Key West? We don't arrive in port until 3:00pm.

Our Rhapsody of the Sea itinerary got changed from Ocho Rios to Key West. We were going to do Dunn's River Falls. Now, we need to find something else.

GO ON THE GHOST TOUR! It leaves out of La Concha hotel at 8 and 9 p.m. Most fun you can have in Key West with your clothes on.

If you go to Key West, BEWARE of the t-shirt vendors hawking their vulgar wares. I'm no prude, but a t-shirt that says lick me and I'll cum and points down is pretty vulgar. I was simply astounded at what the t-shirts said and they are EVERYWHERE. We have teens, and they were even embarassed at some of them. They wanted to get a Key West t-shirt and so we went in multiple t-shirts shops and were just amazed at the vulgarity. Have to say it kind of ruined it for us.

Quaint and laid back atmosphere? I think not.

First Impressions mean a lot when you go somewhere:

Key West when you get off the ship: Quaint little town, historic, fishing village - translation ==> Nice little cruise stop.

Jamacia when you get off the ship: 'sluumy' looking buildings, beggars in the steets, crappy small streets, signs all over about 'gun court' and 'drug smuggling' - translation ===> SLUM.

It is what it is........

First impressions mean a lot when you read some people's posts. :rolleyes:

I was just talking to my grandma about jamaica since they went there last year. She said that when they were on the bus some of the local people swarmed there bus and she had her window open alittle and they were like "take picture, take picture" so she did using her own camera and they demanded $20. She didnt give it to him so the guy tried to take her camera away and when she pulled it out of there reach she said someone yelled out "stab her stab her". She said the same thing happen when she was in a shopping area and a guy on a donkey was there. She gave them her camera to take a pic of her and my grandfather and the guy refused to give her the camera back unless they gave them money.

We've been to Key West twice, Jamaica twice, and many other Caribbean places. To compare Key West and Jamaica is like comparing an apple to a rubber band.

Key West is caribbean USA... and one of the most affluent areas in the Caribbean and even the USA. Anyone should be comfortable here, although "laid back" gets pretty interesting in the T-shirt shops and during Fantasy Fest.

Both Ocho Rios and Montego Bay are typical Caribbean ports - they depend on tourism. There are a few well to do people by local standards, and many working at jobs that barely make it in the local economy, and many many who are very poor. Begging, aggressive selling and drugs are part of the life of these places, but so is natural beauty, culture, and friendliness.

You will find the same thing in the USVI, Mexico, St. Maarten, and other ports in varying doses. There are very few islands that are affluent - such as the Caymans and BVI - and that is usually because European & US cultures have displaced historic culture to a large extent.

Each place offers a different experience and first timers are often surprised at the experience. Use a guide or tour for your first experience, but I hope they take you to see the real people and places. We don't hesitate to walk among the locals, with care, and in the right places, at any port.

Just don't be an ugly tourist! Feel the culture, understand the pace. Don't get angry when your meal or drink takes longer than you expect - it's not the same service culture. Don't get angry at the selling - smile and say "No thank you, I am just looking around." They are competing for your spending and yes, they go overboard sometimes... enjoy it.

I just saw someone on this board say that Jamaca "is a dump". I would like other opinions on these ports (Jamaca/Key West). We are booked going to Jamaca on Enchantment On the Seas 12/09/06 and I am wondering if this is a port worth seeing. I personally would rather see Key West but I don't see Key West offered during this time of year.

Thank you

Minybear

Have never been to Key West, so can't offer anything on that port. You can read of our experience in Ocho Rios in my linked review. We love traveling and new cultures but had a less than pleasant day there. Hopefully, if we get another opportunity to visit, will have a better experience. Any port is a port worth seeing, and worth getting off the ship for...IMO

Jamaica is a poor island. Some people were pushy and yes they have their share of crime. There are also hardworking people who, I am sure, wish they didn't have to live in such rundown conditions.

If you look beyond the "slum" you will see a beautiful island and you will meet some very nice people. We saw school children walking to school with goats walking along with them. We saw beautiful mountains and clear blue water.

I WOULD NOT VENTURE OUR ALONE - OR TAKE A PRIVATE TOUR UNLESS I HAD SOME VERY RELIABLE REFERENCES. With your tour group no one approaches to offer drugs. The tour guide also picked up any jewelry purchased just prior to the bus leaving and delivered it to the passenger on the bus.

Be safe not sorry.

Just have to second some earlier opinions for those who took tours with Barrett's. Evelyn took my wife and I to a working plantation high in the Blue Mountains - she is very well informed on the current politics and history of Jamaica and made our day there the BEST we have every had in any of the islands. Jamaica is a truly a place of spectacular beauty. We look forward to returning there .

Is this through the ship or the hotel? How scary is it?

Scarey? Oh, some of the stories get "creepy" - kind of like sitting around a campfire and telling ghost stories. It's not like a fun house or anything. He gives you a lot of history of the island. The guy is a certified paranormalist, so he takes you around telling you about who's haunting Key West, and how to "see" them. It's mostly all outside and a long walk, but SO MUCH FUN! The site I posted gives you a snippet of one of the stories...

The only thing that might not be "kid" friendly is the story about the guy who perserved his dead wife's body from wax and lived happily as "man and wife" for many years, if you know what I mean... :) There was no blatent vulgarity.

There's not much you can do with young ones in Key West at night... Just depends on how young and how much you want to explain to them for the rest of the trip... ("It's okay honey... that man LIKES painting his thong-clad body siver, that's how he makes a living...")

For more info on the ghost tour:

http://www.hauntedtours.com/LaConcha.html

P.S. my favorite T-shirt said (and I'M editing, the shirt did not...)

I got Duval-faced on Sh*t Street, Key West.

Just got back from Ochos Rios,JM. We booked a tour with www.Phil-Lafayette-tours. com, I believe that is his site. If not, search using his name. He was a lot of fun, took us to Dunn River Falls, told us about the aggressive vendors and if we wanted to avoid the pressure of sales to just exit thru the main entrance. I went to totally experience the island, so I went thru the crafts area, basically it was more sad than anything else to see such desperation. I bought a few items and that was that. We also went intertubing down a river and Phil gave us a tour of the area, neighborhoods moderate, and low income, schools, and even a tiny garden with local plants. He learned all of our names and was a lot of fun.

He is also flexible as to a schedule and I know you would enjoy it. I enjoyed Jamaica and did not enjoy Cozumel near as much. I felt the people we met during the tour were very kind and welcoming. Enjoy your trip.

I have been to Ocho Rios 4 times. Each time I have had a great day. Jamaica is a great island with lots of friendly people. Sure there is crime. Ever been to Los Angeles? Sure there are people selling drugs. Ever been to New York City? Sure there are pushy vendors. Ever been to Tijuana? You gotta use your head everywhere you go. But there is also great food, great rum, great music , great beaches, and beautiful sunsets. It has a rich history and complex culture. Don't be swayed by others, judge for yourself. Go to Dunn's River Falls, or take the Jeep 4X4 safari or go horseback riding on the beach. Eat a meat pattie or try some jerk. Don't worry, be happy, Ya Mon.

Archived