Carnival Safe to Cruise

koss78b2

I feel safe on a Carnival cruise. I watch my young son carefully, but no more so than I would at a local park.

Tapi, you talk about the enhancements to security Carnival has made in recent years. What are they? I can't say that I see them-- far from it.

But I probably am wrong here. What has Carnival been doing? Whatever it is, I applaud it (if it is in fact happening).

One thing that I noticed as an improvement. They are starting to put backup generators on the ships to cover power failures such as was on the Triumph. Even if they don't get full power, they would not necessarily be stranded at sea for 5 days.

Carnival is no more or less safe than any other major cruise line. It's a floating city, so don't leave your common sense behind.

And look at the major incidents clouding Carnival's record:

Costa Concordia happened as the result of one stupid captain showboating.

Carnival Triumph was disabled by an engine fire. Engine fires and complete system failure have happened on many ships on several lines, but Carnival was unfortunate enough that the Triumph incident happened in the middle of the Gulf of Mexico, just about as far from shore as you can get anywhere in the Caribbean or Gulf basins.

The rest of the "bad press" is just baseless scaremongering developing from these incidents.

Edited by gtalum

With some of the bad media Carnival as gotten

would it be safe to do a carnival cruise these days? thinking of one in October? Anyone still recommend Carnival?

I have been on 4 different cruise lines. Carnival is my first choice and my best recommendation. The last 3 cruises were alone and I was very comfortable and am booked on another one in 26 days. Go and relax and enjoy.

would it be safe to do a carnival cruise these days? thinking of one in October? Anyone still recommend Carnival?

No worries. You'll be fine. But keep an eye open for this guy, Just in case.

sea-monster.jpg?w=590

We took our first cruise in April. I felt safe the entire time. The staff was wonderful. The only place I felt unsafe was Nassau and that was a scary place to me.

My in-laws had a similar experience as us there as well last week.

. . . If your post is in reference to the silly article CNN posted the other day, the only reason they drummed up that old news was because they feel the need to mention a few bad stories about cruising each time they post an update about the Concordia. The video they made was just silly.

The news video article posted on CNN's web site on Thursday, July 24 (and still active there today) was of a Senate Commerce Committee Hearing that took place on Wednesday, July 23, one day prior to the video upload.

I'm not taking sides whatsoever on the "Am I safe?" question posted, but wanted to clarify that CNN's posting was of current, not old, travel news information . . . though the hearing was about past events.

*putting on flame suit*

I would not permit my family to sail Carnival or likely any Carnival Inc. line because of years of safety issues, fires, etc.

I would also point out feeling safe and being safe is not always the same thing.

Seems many of you folks have forgotten the Concordia, which was not just due to the Captain, poor and dangerous operational and safety polices contributed to that disaster.

Add the Splendor, also a major fire and loss of power. The Costa Millindum (SPL?), major fire and scrapped. Queen Mary II, also a major fire, but the training of the Cunard crew put it out quickly.

That is not counting all the minor fires, groundings and issues.

http://www.cruiseshipfires.com/Fires/cruise_ship_fires.html

Please note long list of Carnival line vessels.

Yes of course other lines have had there issues, but not to the % that Carnival has had even when taking into account the number of ships they run

http://cruisejunkie.com/

Then of course Carnival Inc. has been know just to ignore the USCG

http://www.examiner.com/article/coast-guard-blasts-carnival-splendor-for-fire-negligence

So to say its *just* bad press because Carnival Line and Carnival Inc., is just disgénue and plain wrong.

Carnival history of short cuts in building and design has cost them.

Now in fairness.....yes they are spending most of that $350 million you heard about on thier vessels is mostly to correct the problems and add back up systems not the gen 2 updates(different funding). Right now I would bet the Triumph and Splendor and Sunshine are pretty safe.

I would also add that the conduct of the Triumph Crew member during and after the fire was excellent.

So the bottom line with our families and the friends who have asked is no, Not to sail Carnival. So far no one has.

AKK

Edited by Tonka's Skipper

In the first half of this year alone almost 700+ people have been killed in airplane crashes/accidents/disappearances. The aviation industry is going through the "bad press" right now because of it. Will you not fly on a plane right now? Are planes unsafe?

Yes Carnival did get put through the news wringer last year due to the multiple incidents. If you were to look at those incidents how many people were killed as a direct result of the incident? All cruiselines and all ships have incidents throughout their existance some so minor you don't even notice to the major ones such as Carnival had and Royal Caribbean had with the Grandeur fire and propulsion issue with the Allure.

I would say Carnival is just as safe to cruise on as any other line out there. Due to the incidents that occured steps have been taken to improve the ships and the ships systems where problems were identified.

Happy Cruising!

Edited by Eng23

Yes of course other lines have had there issues' date=' but not to the % that Carnival has had even when taking into account the number of ships they run.[/quote']

The list on the website you linked to is far from complete, and a lot of the info is just dead wrong. The most glaring error is listing the first QUEEN ELIZABETH. At the time of her demise in Hong Kong harbor, she had already been rename SEAWISE UNIVERSITY and was owned by the C.Y. Tung group, not Cunard. While this has nothing to do with Carnival, it demostrates that the info provided on the site is not correct.

There have been numerous, non-Carnival ships that have suffered fires, breakdowns, etc. that are not listed.

I have been sailing with Carnival since the 80's and currently have a cruise booked with them. I have always felt safe. I also had a cruise booked with Carnival at the time of the Concordia incident for later in the year ~ I never once hesitated on taking that cruise nor did I feel unsafe at any time.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I have looked at all the web sites posted by the guy above. What it tells me is that there is not a bucket of warm spit difference between RCCL, Disney and Carnival. Go figure that he will not allow his family to cruise on Carnival. Could there be some bias in his thought process? Mass market cruise lines are all pretty much safe these days.

Doc

*putting on flame suit*

I would not permit my family to sail Carnival or likely any Carnival Inc. line because of years of safety issues' date=' fires, etc.

I would also point out feeling safe and being safe is not always the same thing.

Seems many of you folks have forgotten the Concordia, which was not just due to the Captain, poor and dangerous operational and safety polices contributed to that disaster.

Add the Splendor, also a major fire and loss of power. The Costa Millindum (SPL?), major fire and scrapped. Queen Mary II, also a major fire, but the training of the Cunard crew put it out quickly.

Yes of course other lines have had there issues, but not to the % that Carnival has had even when taking into account the number of ships they run

http://www.examiner.com/article/coast-guard-blasts-carnival-splendor-for-fire-negligence

So to say its *just* bad press because Carnival Line and Carnival Inc., is just disgénue and plain wrong.

Now in fairness.....yes they are spending most of that $350 million you heard about on thier vessels is mostly to correct the problems and add back up systems not the gen 2 updates(different funding). Right now I would bet the Triumph and Splendor and Sunshine are pretty safe.

I would also add that the conduct of the Triumph Crew member during and after the fire was excellent.

So the bottom line with our families and the friends who have asked is no, Not to sail Carnival. So far no one has.

AKK[/quote']

Not flaming but then you wouldn't want to to sail on any cruise ship. Concordia aside. All cruise lines have had there issues. Ive seen mutiple news stories on sea trade insider of royal caribbean (corporate) owned. Ships with propulsion problems, noro, and other problems. Dont forget about there own fires and groundings. Yes carnival has had issues in the past, but your reasoning is completely wrong. If you feel that unsafe on a carnival corp ship then you should feel the same about other cruise operators.

Probably safer than walking the streets of Chicago or Los Angeles. 99% of the stuff we worry about never happens.

TONKA's SKIPPER

I see from looking at your other post you are a huge fan of Disney and can care less for Carnival. An example being the following post you wrote.

"Sorry, totally disagree here. We find the Disney Experience, the Disney magic to continue to impress us and we find sailing yearly not a problem at all, in fact we enjoy DCL more and more with each cruise.

Carnival does not hold a candle to DCL and the cheap prices Carnival charges reflect the quality of their cruises and the hard time carnival is having trying to get passengers."

1st I have nothing against Disney, but for you to think all things are perfect, What about the chain of molestations on Disney with the most recent being this past April?

Since you like to post articles...

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/disney-cruise-line-worker-accused-of-molesting-teen-passenger/

In your mind this is ok and safe because its Disney and Carnival is the bad boy? ALL cruise lines have their issues and its good to see Carnival dealing with theirs to make them safe to cruise.

TONKA's SKIPPER

I see from looking at your other post you are a huge fan of Disney and can care less for Carnival. An example being the following post you wrote.

"Sorry, totally disagree here. We find the Disney Experience, the Disney magic to continue to impress us and we find sailing yearly not a problem at all, in fact we enjoy DCL more and more with each cruise.

Carnival does not hold a candle to DCL and the cheap prices Carnival charges reflect the quality of their cruises and the hard time carnival is having trying to get passengers."

While I don't doubt that a Disney cruise is super duper faboo, you're paying a premium in large part for the Disney name. Have you ever even been on Carnival?

1st I have nothing against Disney, but for you to think all things are perfect, What about the chain of molestations on Disney with the most recent being this past April?

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/disney-cruise-line-worker-accused-of-molesting-teen-passenger/

In your mind this is ok and safe because its Disney and Carnival is the bad boy? ALL cruise lines have their issues and its good to see Carnival dealing with theirs to make them safe to cruise.

OP, Carnival is perfectly fine. This forum wouldn't be alive and well if so many people didn't like the Carnival experience.

TONKA's SKIPPER

Hello Gregg.

Thank you for a fair response.

I stand by all I said and as a retired Ships Officer and a Marine accident and cargo surveyor and inspector I have the background to back it all up.

First, I never said line is perfect, they all have issues , but Carnival has had more then their number of ship warrants.........as to your article............every line has had those CM issues as you well know. I was the first to complain about DCL handling of it. Go check the Dsb posts.

Carnival for years has been the *big bull* in the cruise industry and has gotten away with a lot. The various insurance groups, Lloyds especially, class and P and I groups and Maritime government agencies have given in to them because frankly they can take their business to the next guy

However after the Splendor and Triumph fires things changed, these 2 incidents especially could have been major loss of life events if any number of things happened. As it was they were lucky and were able to tow them in port safety.

As I pointed out earlier the ships, as the go into the yards are now being fully reviewed and the mechanical systems are being upgraded and back up systems being put in place. No one is backing down anymore.

MY POST above was referring to, if I remember correctly was someone saying Carnival was at the same level as DCL, In my opinion and I believe most cruisers that is not correct. In fact reading on this site I hear more complains about carnival then anywhere else.

Please note the below:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1821057

I have also followed the Concordia tragedy and the more that is learned the more I see a company that was out of control, cutting corners, with the office staffs also responsible for the loss of life. Two office mangers in Costa have been charged and plead guilty to criminal charges over this tragedy. Yes I know that is not Carnival Line, but its all run out of Miami

So am I bias about Carnival???....NO.... bias would mean to be against them without proof or reason...As my first post said, they are making the needed changes and I pointed out the 3 ships that have been correctly upgraded. If was bias I would not have included that.

If you go to the dsb and check back, You will find a long thread I managed about the Triumph. That thread was limited only to what was happening on the ship before and during the tow and explaining to folks why where doing what they were doing and why some things could not be done. No one was allowed to comment for or con about Carnival in general.

That Crew and office mangers did as good a job as possible to protect the vessel and make the passengers as comfortable as possible,

I stand by my comment:

I will not sail on them because I don't trust them and don't believe that they are on the same level as most main stream lines.

AKK

Edited by Tonka's Skipper

Hello Gregg.

Thank you for a fair response.

I stand by all I said and as a retired Ships Officer and a Marine accident and cargo surveyor and inspector I have the background to back it all up.

First' date=' I never said line is perfect, they all have issues , but Carnival has had more then their number of ship warrants.........as to your article............every line has had those CM issues as you well know. I was the first to complain about DCL handling of it. Go check the Dsb posts.

Carnival for years has been the *big bull* in the cruise industry and has gotten away with a lot. The various insurance groups, Lloyds especially, class and P and I groups and Maritime government agencies have given in to them because frankly they can take their business to the next guy

However after the Splendor and Triumph fires things changed, these 2 incidents especially could have been major loss of life events if any number of things happened. As it was they were lucky and were able to tow them in port safety.

As I pointed out earlier the ships, as the go into the yards are now being fully reviewed and the mechanical systems are being upgraded and back up systems being put in place. No one is backing down anymore.

MY POST above was referring to, if I remember correctly was someone saying Carnival was at the same level as DCL, In my opinion and I believe most cruisers that is not correct. In fact reading on this site I hear more complains about carnival then anywhere else.

Please note the below:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1821057

I have also followed the Concordia tragedy and the more that is learned the more I see a company that was out of control, cutting corners, with the office staffs also responsible for the loss of life. Two office mangers in Costa have been charged and plead guilty to criminal charges over this tragedy. Yes I know that is not Carnival Line, but its all run out of Miami

So am I bias about Carnival???....NO.... bias would mean to be against them without proof or reason...As my first post said, they are making the needed changes and I pointed out the 3 ships that have been correctly upgraded. If was bias I would not have included that.

If you go to the dsb and check back, You will find a long thread I managed about the Triumph. That thread was limited only to what was happening on the ship before and during the tow and explaining to folks why where doing what they were doing and why some things could not be done. No one was allowed to comment for or con about Carnival in general.

That Crew and office mangers did as good a job as possible to protect the vessel and make the passengers as comfortable as possible,

I stand by my comment:

I will not sail on them because I don't trust them and don't believe that they are on the same level as most main stream lines.

AKK[/quote']

So is royal caribbean corporate owned ships safe to sail on? Based on your views of carnival and carnival corp owned vessels i would say not.

So is royal caribbean corporate owned ships safe to sail on? Based on your views of carnival and carnival corp owned vessels i would say not.

Hello KY,

I don't have a problem with corporation owned lines, in fact I don't believe any of the main lines are privately held anymore.

I have a problem with the way Carnival Inc. runs there vessels for the reasons pointed out.

I had 1 carnival Line cruise, abit 12 years ago but my opinion is not based on that short cruise its based on the accident records of Carnival Inc.

We sailed on RCCL 2 times, liked them both but again RCCL has a better safety record then Carnival when comparing histories.

AKK

Hello KY' date='

I don't have a problem with corporation owned lines, in fact I don't believe any of the main lines are privately held anymore.

I have a problem with the way Carnival Inc. runs there vessels for the reasons pointed out.

I had 1 carnival Line cruise, abit 12 years ago but my opinion is not based on that short cruise its based on the accident records of Carnival Inc.

We sailed on RCCL 2 times, liked them both but again RCCL has a better safety record then Carnival when comparing histories.

AKK[/quote']

Well i woukd feel safe on royal ncl or carnival. However you want to point out carnival incidents and i would argue RCI has had just as many over thier past. Just look at the fire on granduer of the seas. You said earlier the fire on triumph and splendor could have resulted in loss of life. I would argue the fire in granduer was far more serious because of its close proximity to passagener spaces. Or how about the recent celebrity ship that had to cancel future cruises and go into an early dry dock for mechanical problems? You want to single carnival out for not being safe? Based on your maritime experience? Sounds like you just want to trash carnival and not look at the facts of all cruise line incidents. Again i would feel safe on any cruise line.

*putting on flame suit*

I would not permit my family to sail Carnival or likely any Carnival Inc. line because of years of safety issues' date=' fires, etc.

AKK[/quote']

So I have to ask, why are you on a carnival CC FORUM? If you have never been on a carnival ship than you have no reference.

However, rather than debate with ignorance I say good, stay home. But you had better not ride in a car either because by comparison, they are far more dangerous.

Sent from my XT1080 using Forums mobile app