Rio de Janeiro Carnaval Samba Parade

Howasaur

The Samba Drome is without a doubt the best (and safest - Rio's got some very bad areas!) place to see the characters, costumes and floats of Rio's Carnaval. The place is usually packed and tickets are hard to come by as the Carnaval dates approach. As has been stated, the parade easily goes on 'till 0400 but it's a once in a lifetime experience

Just to point out, you don't have to stay until the end. Buses leave between each school. The schools take about 45 minutes each. We are signed up to go next Feb. And will probably stay for three school.

Few more questions they say we are in Section nine are we in a secure location and how safe are the washrooms is the food safe to buy and eat . Are we seated on seats with backs? they say we are assigned seats and what currency do they take?

Edited by Howasaur

Rio is a fairly dangerous city, especially at night. You will be safe, however, if staying with your HAL group.

The washrooms should be no problem, not too clean, but safe. I have a small bladder and hence made several visits without issue.

As I recall, the sections have seats with backs near the bottom and grandstand seating further up. I'm guessing you will be up in the grandstands.

Buying food and drink is a bit of a crapshoot. I bought food from vendors on Ipanema Beach without incident, but I did have issues (to put it delicately) the day after visiting the Sambadrome. Could have been my delicate constitution or the very late hour that screwed up my system, but suggest you use caution ordering food or drink there. There will be people coming by your seats with food and beverages. The beverages will be in coolers filled with ice.

Do NOT buy the water. It will most likely be a bottle filled from a tap with local water which I guarantee your belly will not appreciate. Be sure to wipe your beer, soda, whatever of all water before you drink them.

Other than that, have fun. You will have a great time. Fantastic experience.

Few more questions they say we are in Section nine are we in a secure location and how safe are the washrooms is the food safe to buy and eat . Are we seated on seats with backs? they say we are assigned seats and what currency do they take?

I believe the part of section 9 HAL uses (it is the tourist section) is just concrete bleachers. Look at his link under grandstands.

http://www.rio-carnival.net/sambodromo/sambodromo_tickets.php

Thank-you to all who replied Once In A Life Time Experience Sold Me I have booked thru Holland. We are on the 49 day Cruise

Are you on the Maasdam cruise from Fort Lauderdale round trip? You should join our roll calls. They are in two sections, a 23 day one and a26 day one.