Early, late or your time dining ? Pros and cons

Master98

Until this upcoming cruise (B2B), I have always opted for late dining. However, I think I am ready for a change. I am going with early dining this time. I find the late dining is a bit late for such a heavy meal and will try the 6:00 to see if I like it better. Have never done any time dining. I kinda like the stationary tablemates, wait staff.

Before we switched to anytime dining we did late dining but always felt it was too late. Although we tend to go before 6:30 now with anytime, we like the flexibility to go within the 6-7 hour. We've found the service to be good to excellent and definitely prefer it to traditional dining.

My DW and I have always did late dining until our last cruise where we did your time dining.

On the first night, we were seated very quickly as it was just the 2 of us.

But as the week went on, we met several people that also had YTD and wanted to eat together.

When you try to seat 8 people, you might have to wait 45-60 minutes.

I prefer late dining. Personally, I like sitting with new people and being able to build relationships over the course of the week. It's nice not to have to go through all the introductions every night. I also like having the wait staff get to know my preferences.

Late is nice because I don't have to rush in to get ready for dinner after a port.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It is an easy decision for us. I am diabetic and part of my regimen of care includes eating at about the same time each day. Since we usually eat dinner at about 6:30 P, early dining is our option. We like having the same table, the same waiters and the same folks around us.

Doc

I've always went to Late Dining (because all of the past cruises were with a large group of people that followed a local New Orleans cover band). For the Dec. 14 cruise that I am planning on booking on Carnival Dream (that will be just my family) I am choosing Early Dining so we can catch the Saints @ Bears game afterwards which is on Monday Night Football.

Edited by QNTMLPR

We usually opt for late dining. Being from the West (usually 3 or 4 hours later than the Caribbean, that means we are eating at about 6P according to our natural circadian rythyms. But that means that we can enjoy the ship before dinner. Sometimes catching the comedy show before dinner and then the adult show after.

Your opinion please !

Have never done my time. Between earlier and late, I prefer late. When we book early dinner, we go to bed early because the late night activities that we enjoy are several hours away. When we have late dinner, we go from dinner to the late night activities that we enjoy.

for all the folks that have mentioned that they pick a time (late or early) instead of anytime and one of the reasons is to have the same waitstaff, you can definately have the same waitstaff every day while using anytime dining. you just have to request them. I did it without any issue (didnt even have to wait at any point). Yes, you will not get the same people to sit with unless you hit it off the first night and discuss it with them but ALL 3 dining options gives you the ability to have the same waitstaff so they can get to know what you like and dont like.

the good flexibilty comes in if you dont like your tablemates or dont like your waitstaff... you can have a different waitstaff and different set of people (or you can sit with just your guests) each night.

Edited by hftmrock

As a note, even at set time dining (early or late) you can request a different table if you don't get along with your table mates. Had this problem on our Liberty cruise last year, halfway through dinner I walked over the the Matre'd and requested a new table. Worked out great, new table, better view, much better table mates.

While one can request the same dining staff in ATD, it was not meant to be done that way and I have to assume they only allow a few people to do that. Could you imagine if everyone requested the same waiter? That person would be so overworked while the rest just stood around and did nothing.

All options have pros & cons, as mentioned. When just my DH & me YTD is a great way to meet other people. When the kids are with us, we prefer a set time & and the table is ready & waiting for us when we show up...since it's a larger group (6-7), it's much simpler.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

While one can request the same dining staff in ATD, it was not meant to be done that way and I have to assume they only allow a few people to do that. Could you imagine if everyone requested the same waiter? That person would be so overworked while the rest just stood around and did nothing.

I think it probably was meant that way. I think most if not all the wait staff is great so I am sure the requests for the same waitstaff are pretty even. Usually its the same staff you got on the first day. I have heard countless people do this without issue. I assume if your scenario comes true, it just means you have to wait until that waitstaff is available. The others would definately not be waiting around. not everybody does it. It is, however an option if you like your waitstaff. I even think John Heald mentioned it once or twice.

We do late dining for some of the reasons listed above... first of all, when I'm on a cruise, I STUFF myself.. so 6pm dinner is too early for me. I'd still be full! HAHA!! Also, I like not having to rush to get back to the room after a day at port to get ready for dinner.

We have tried them all.

Early: too rushed after being in port all day

Late: too late for us. I don't like eating that big of a meal that late.

Anytime: Perfect! We love anytime dining. The flexibility of being able to choose each day is wonderful. We have always had a group of 4 and have never experienced a long wait time. Also, you can definitely ask to be in a certain waiter's section. We have done that several times and were always accommodated. As for not having the same wait staff each night....the dining experience is not what it used to be anyway. We have found that the waiters don't have time to spend talking to the guests like they used to so I don't feel like we are missing anything.

for all the folks that have mentioned that they pick a time (late or early) instead of anytime and one of the reasons is to have the same waitstaff, you can definately have the same waitstaff every day while using anytime dining. you just have to request them. I did it without any issue (didnt even have to wait at any point). Yes, you will not get the same people to sit with unless you hit it off the first night and discuss it with them but ALL 3 dining options gives you the ability to have the same waitstaff so they can get to know what you like and dont like.

the good flexibilty comes in if you dont like your tablemates or dont like your waitstaff... you can have a different waitstaff and different set of people (or you can sit with just your guests) each night.

I really like the social aspect of traditional dining. Last time, we really liked our tablemates and our conversations evolved over time. I don't think I would get that same experience with anytime. It's hard enough to coordinate plans with people you're traveling with. Trying to do that with people you've just met would be harder.

The other benefit of traditional dining is no lines! I refuse to wait in the line to get into dinner. I wait with my drink while I people watch until the doors open.

That's just my opinion though. Obviously, some people love ATD and that's why we're all different. I think it's great that Carnival offers all 3 options to make everybody happy.