Carnival Sunshine or RCCL Independence?

dcgrumpy

I'm posting this on both the Carnival and RCCl boards

I'm trying to decide between Sunshine and Independence of the Seas. I've sailed on Freedom of the Seas and enjoyed it very much. My kids (9,11 &13) keep asking is we can sail on a ship with water slides.

Sunshine is 8 days with stops in St Kitts, St Maarten, San Juan and Grand Turk

IOS is 7 days, St Kitts, St Maarten and San Juan

IOS is about $100 more for the 5 of us

I'm worried about Sunshine after reading some reviews that have said it feels crowded.

Has anyone sailed on both Sunshine and a Freedom class ship?

I love Royal ships for the Royal Promenade, the many pools, the Flowrider, mini-golf, ice skating and ice shows. The Sunshine does have the WaterWorks, and the Ropes course, and Sports Square, but also a small pool. Both have clubs for all ages of kids. This would be a tough one for me, although I would lean closer to the 8 days over 7. If its not a surprise, why not go to YouTube or Google, along with both cruise line websites, and show the kids the amenities on both ships and let them decide?

Edited by sjcruiser

Bigger, newer ship with much better space to passenger ratio and layout, or refurbished 18 year old ship with hundreds of cabins added and public space reduced....hmmmm, decisions, decisions....

IMHO, Independence is well worth the extra $100. I'd pick Sunshine only if the price difference was substantial.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Haven't been on either. Does IOS have a waterpark? Just asking since the kids have waterslides and such as a priority. They won't care about the Sunshine being refurbished and it is an extra day with one more port stop. But if the IOS was comparable with water activities and amenities for the kids, I would choose her over the Sunshine only because it has a better spacing layout since that's a concern of yours. How much of a difference does the location of the ports make? May be something to consider. Good luck.

Bigger, newer ship with much better space to passenger ratio and layout, or refurbished 18 year old ship with hundreds of cabins added and public space reduced....hmmmm, decisions, decisions....

IMHO, Independence is well worth the extra $100. I'd pick Sunshine only if the price difference was substantial.

Newer?

I have been on transatlantic cruises on both ships, and I would DEFINITELY choose the Independence over the Sunshine. The Sunshine does have a crowded feel and the Independence doesn't. IOS is a much newer ship and it shows. Carnival calls Sunshine a "new" ship, but it's obvious that it's a refurbishment of the aging Destiny. Well worth the extra $$$ and one less day to go on IOS.

I have not been on these 2 ships but have been on both line and similar ships and both are very very good.

Although the promenade on the RCCL ship are great it actually does nothing to kids. I think the new remodel Sunshine will be very good for your family.

To those you think this ship is old yes it might be but what is wrong with an older ship if it has been updated with todays standards.

Kudos to Carnival to actually update an older ship instead of just scraping it for a new bigger one.

Vacation on a cruise ship is always fun no matter what.

Have fun

sea ya

Eric

TBA November 2014

Golden Princess & Grand Princess Sep2014

Cunard Queen Elisabeth Jun2014

Golden Princess May2014

Royal Princess Jan 2014

Caribbean Princess Feb 2013

Carnival Liberty Nov2012

Hal Westerdam March2012

Ruby Princess Nov2010

Sapphire Princess Sep2010

Rccl Adventure Of The Seas April 2010

Carnival Miracle Feb2010

Rccl Oassis of the Seas Feb2010

Rccl Majesty of the Seas Nov2009

Rccl Navigator of Seas Sep2009

Hal Westerdam Nov&Dec2008

Caribbean Princess Nov2007

Sea Princess Nov&Dec 2006

Diamond Princess Apr2005

Rccl Navigator Dec2004

NCL SUN Nov2004

Visit of QM2 Oct2004

Carnival Victory Nov2003

Golden Princess Apr2003

Celebrity Mercury Nov2002

Carnival Elation Nov2001

NCL SKY Nov2000

I see you fell for the "brand new" marketing campaign...

A renovation is just that, a renovation. It's the same hull, no?

True, but a hull does not a ship make.;) Been on her before and after and she sure as heck looked new to new in everything we saw, and a pretty darn good job of "redo". Loved what they did with Lido aft and serenity.

Haven't been on either. Does IOS have a waterpark? Just asking since the kids have waterslides and such as a priority. They won't care about the Sunshine being refurbished and it is an extra day with one more port stop. But if the IOS was comparable with water activities and amenities for the kids, I would choose her over the Sunshine only because it has a better spacing layout since that's a concern of yours. How much of a difference does the location of the ports make? May be something to consider. Good luck.

Independence has the H2O Zone which is a pretty nice kids waterpark (you can go to the RCI web site and look at the IOS deck plan for deck 11 and get a virtual tour). There isn't any water slide in the H2O Zone that I recall however.

Newer?

Let me see...

Independence built in 2008.

Sunshine built in 1996.

Yes, newer.

Making a ship look pretty doesn't make it new (specially when you add a couple of hundred cabins while eliminating public space, giving it one of the most horrendous space to passenger ratio in the industry). There's a good reason why Carnival canceled all further "Sunshining" of other ships, and it's not because the Destiny's refurb was a wild success...

And while we are at it, let's not forget that Independence also received a refurb in 2013 (without gimmicky name changes). Also Independence is 154,000 tons while Sunshine is 102,000 tons less. That's a lot more ship for your money!

Edited by Tapi

Let me see...

Sunshine built in 1996.

Yes, newer.

Making a ship look pretty doesn't make it new (specially when you add a couple of hundred cabins while eliminating public space, giving it one of the most horrendous space to passenger ratio in the industry). There's a good reason why Carnival canceled all further "Sunshining" of other ships, and it's not because the Destiny's refurb was a wild success...

And while we are at it, let's not forget that Independence also received a refurb in 2013 (without gimmicky name changes). Also Independence is 154,000 tons while Sunshine is 102,000 tons less. That's a lot more ship for your money!

Bigger is better? I have been on the Sunshine, have you? You can call it a gimmick if you want, from the hull in it's a new ship TOTALLY. Can't talk about IOS.

Independence has the H2O Zone which is a pretty nice kids waterpark (you can go to the RCI web site and look at the IOS deck plan for deck 11 and get a virtual tour). There isn't any water slide in the H2O Zone that I recall however.

I'm gonna do that. Thanks for the tip. Not that this is my thread. Lol. Always looking for ships the kids will enjoy. Thanks.

BTW OP I hope you're looking at both of the threads you put up on this question. The one on the royal board is short but much more to the point, objective, and void of the same insulting drivel about the Sunshine that you always seem to get anytime anyone asks a question about her for comparison. Plus someone posted a link to a review from a cruiser whose actually been on the Sunshine whose also sailed on RCI . May give you some objective opinion although she didn't take kids. Enjoy whatever choice you make.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk

The one on the royal board is short but much more to the point, objective, and void of the same insulting drivel about the Sunshine that you always seem to get anytime anyone asks a question about her for comparison.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk

Insulting drivel...LOL, I like that albeit maybe a tad over the top. Good point on the reviews.

I have a 14 year old and we sailed Freedom of the Seas last summer. After having experienced the Waterworks on the Carnival Dream and Magic, he really missed the water slides and ropes course on RCCL. He had a great time on FOS, but we will be doing the Carnival Sunshine at Thanksgiving. We don't hang out at the pools, so the small pool size on Carnival is not a big deal although we were impressed with the pools on RCCL. He also had a really great teen club experience on FOS, on Carnival it is usually so-so. I'm not sure I helped, but for my teen he wants the slides!

I have a 14 year old and we sailed Freedom of the Seas last summer. After having experienced the Waterworks on the Carnival Dream and Magic, he really missed the water slides and ropes course on RCCL. He had a great time on FOS, but we will be doing the Carnival Sunshine at Thanksgiving. We don't hang out at the pools, so the small pool size on Carnival is not a big deal although we were impressed with the pools on RCCL. He also had a really great teen club experience on FOS, on Carnival it is usually so-so. I'm not sure I helped, but for my teen he wants the slides!

I know its a FUN ship and all, but what about the hull?:confused:;):D

I'm trying to decide between Sunshine and Independence of the Seas. I've sailed on Freedom of the Seas and enjoyed it very much. My kids (9,11 &13) keep asking is we can sail on a ship with water slides.

With the highlighted part, let me tell you, the comedy club is really small on the Sunshine and lunch in the Italian venue is free.

Oh sorry, I got caught up as a normal CC poster giving you absolutely nothing that you asked about.

I've never been on FOS but I'm sure you'd have a great time.

But specific to your question and concern, the Sunshine does have a very fun waterworks slide area. There are many pictures of this area you can search. It's a nice and fun place to hang out, especially for your 9 and 11 year old.

The vast majority of notes regarding crowding have come from the loud mouths who have never been on the Sunshine. They've made their bed that it's going to be crowded and by God, it's going to be crowded. Just keep repeating it and it will become reality for some.

Edited by fuddrules

I'm posting this on both the Carnival and RCCl boards

Sunshine is 8 days with stops in St Kitts, St Maarten, San Juan and Grand Turk

IOS is 7 days, St Kitts, St Maarten and San Juan

IOS is about $100 more for the 5 of us

I'm worried about Sunshine after reading some reviews that have said it feels crowded.

Has anyone sailed on both Sunshine and a Freedom class ship?

Considering you've already been on Freedom which is very similar to Independence; I'd change things up a bit by going with the Sunshine, which has been newly renovated and is for all intents and purposes a new ship. Not only that but you get an extra day, not to mention there are loads of things for your kids to do.

I looked at the IOS cruise and the port times are horrible - San Juan is 4pm - midnight - essentially leaving a 7 day cruise with 2 ports. For kids, the Sunshine looks like it packs in a lot - the waterslides look great, as does the Splash area, and ropes course. I am not sold on the diminished theater and lounge, however. It would be a tough call, but I would probably try the Sunshine. Another possibility for kids is to look at Norwegian Getaway - the amenities for kids (and us big kids) look amazing on there (combining the best of Carnival and RCCL).

My kids are big waterslide fans, and we are trying our first ship with them in September without a "Waterpark" - I am curious to see how it goes.

Edited by jcearth

I have been on the Freedom of the Seas, many Voyager class cruises and twice on the Sunshine. Some of the cruises were with grown children and grand kids and some just with the DW. I really like the Voyager class layout and by extension the FOS but the Sunshine also has its strong points. The Serenity area on the Sunshine is, I think, the best one that Carnival has. The grand kids have had a great time on both the Sunshine and the Navigator of the Seas during the last eight months. In general I like the interior layout and flow of the Voyager class better but it is not a deal breaker. The décor of the Sunshine is far better than any other Carnival ship I have been on.

Given the two trips being considered I would go with the Sunshine primarily because of the ports. Plus Guy's burgers are really good when you are out by the pool.

Let me see...

Sunshine built in 1996.

Yes, newer.

Ok we heard you stop repeating yourself.

Quick question have u been on it ?

Eric

Let me see...

Sunshine built in 1996.

Yes, newer.

Heck the new vista won't be much bigger then a freedom class ship from royal.

Definetly the Independence of the seas!

Ok we heard you stop repeating yourself.

Quick question have u been on it ?

Eric

Eric:

To answer you question, yes I have BEEN on the Sunshine. Also, I did sail on her as the Destiny before they added 200 cabins and downsized public areas.

I was invited onboard the Sunshine when it first came to the US after the refurb. I was on the ship with Carnival employees as well as other travel industry professionals. We were shown the new areas and given the before and after. Lots of "this is nice!" comments, along with "what were they thinking" comments and even the occasional "oh sh.." comments :o

Although some people want to say that the only ones that complain about the Sunshine are those who haven't sailed on her, that's not true. "Overcrowding" is a recurring theme among many who have sailed on her. Carnival is not rushing to "Sunshine"other ships after they had made plans and even secured names because they know that, even though the Sunshine looks beautiful, it has serious design flaws that they don't want to replicate on other ships.

There you go. You made me repeat myself again! :D