Alaska cruise port recommendations

Grumpyoldpair

We are on the Celebrity Solstice Alaska cruise with a pre cruise stopover in Seattle and post cruise in Chicago (with a two day 'Empire Builder' train across from Seattle to Chicago post cruise)

Our stops are Ketichan, Junneau (after cruising Tracy Arm Fjord), Skagway, Victoria.

Ideas, suggestions and recommendations for our destinations (what we can do on foot, recommended Celebrity tours, recommended solo tours) would be very welcome.

We are experienced cruises and are not averse to early starts and lots of walking!

Many thanks - hoping for lots of ideas!!

I would start with reading Frommer's and Trip Advisor online to research your cruise ports. The best book I have found for walking destinations and tours in Alaska cruise ports is "Inside Passage Walking Tours" by Julianne Chase Patton. It is available on Amazon. I see that you are in the UK so perhaps this would be a mail option for you.

The city of Seattle has many sites to visit, but my most favorite place is Mount Rainier. Allow a full day for touring the mountain. There are tours that depart from Seattle. The mountain is just so beautiful that the early native Americans called it "god."

A good hotel choice in Seattle is the Edgewater. It is well located on the waterfront and in a nice walking area. Prices aren't budget, but it is a local favorite.

I always suggest that people read thru trip reports. They are a great resource for sights, activities, excursions. Many contain photos as well. The reports are in STICKYs near the top of the page. For 2013, start with reply #45 where the reports are sorted by cruiseline.

Also, each town has a web site to promote tourism and local vendors.

www.skagway.com

www.experienceketchikan.com

www.traveljuneau.com

If you are staying downtown, taxis are available for about $45. The downtown core is about 20-30 minutes north of the airport. Or check Shuttle Express.

In Seattle, I would suggest a trip to the Chihuly Glass Museum. It's at the base of the Space Needle and you can get combination tickets for both attractions. You can easily do the Chihuly in an hour, but I think you would be doing yourself a disservice IMO.

I also love Pike Place Market. I could spend HOURS there! Since you are boarding the ship in Seattle, consider getting one of the GORGEOUS bouquets of flowers to take on board with you. You will have to leave it at the end of the cruise, but the ones we saw were HUGE and CHEAP! I almost wished I had booked a cruise out of Seattle so that I could have gotten one for my mom to have in her cabin (maybe next time!).

Many thanks for your swift response. This is really helpful and getting us in the mood for our exciting trip. Is it easy to transfer from Seattle Airport to downtown? We are in the crowne Plaza.

hi, you didn't say when your cruise is, but we are doing the last AK run of the season on NCL Pearl this year and are also staying at the Crowne Plaza. Currently our plans are to take the light rail from the airport and walk the few block from the station. I say currently because those plans may change when we actually get to Seattle, depending on the weather and my travel partners mood. :rolleyes: I'll let you know how the transfer goes.

Since you mention walking, also pack light. Then you can take the Light Rail, from Seatac to your hotel. less than $3 pp.

As for your port activities, there are hundreds of choices, and my favorites aren't going to be yours. :) So, I suggest you look over a shore excursion lists. Then narrow down your interests, then ask for more details on the specific tours. Otherwise, you are going to get a list of what other people took. :) And you will find that people enjoy tours in Alaska with mostly rave reviews. Key is to find YOUR preferences. In my opinion, this isn't the place to skimp.

I do recommend the add on ship tours in Tracy Arm. This is grossly superior compared to the cruise ship transit.

Since you're travelling from the UK and on to Chicago post cruise, I assumed you wouldn't be travelling light, BUT if you are, the Light Rail is a good budget option to get from Seatac to downtown.

There is some walking involved.The Light Rail station is a 7-10 minute walk from the airport. It's level and covered, so quite easy as long as you can manage your luggage.

Watch for overhead signs from the luggage carousels that will direct you to the station. (there is a ticket machine at the station)

To reach the Crowne Plaza, exit the train at the University St station on 3rd & Seneca, then you have about 3 blocks to walk, mostly uphill.

Trains leave every 10 minutes or so, so no need to worry about the schedule.

http://www.soundtransit.org/Schedules/Central-Link-light-rail

Edited by mapleleaves

Since you're travelling from the UK and on to Chicago post cruise, I assumed you wouldn't be travelling light, BUT if you are, the Light Rail is a good budget option to get from Seatac to downtown.

[/url]

You'd be surprised. :) I am just back from a 4++ week in Alaska, and only had 1 medium bag and a backpack. :) Laundry is my friend with my travels.

We are on the Celebrity Solstice Alaska cruise with a pre cruise stopover in Seattle and post cruise in Chicago (with a two day 'Empire Builder' train across from Seattle to Chicago post cruise)

Our stops are Ketichan, Junneau (after cruising Tracy Arm Fjord), Skagway, Victoria.

Ideas, suggestions and recommendations for our destinations (what we can do on foot, recommended Celebrity tours, recommended solo tours) would be very welcome.

We are experienced cruises and are not averse to early starts and lots of walking!

Many thanks - hoping for lots of ideas!!

Skagway, try to rent a car to drive to Emerald Lake in Yukon, Canada