Alaska - Aug 30

Shaf143

My DW and I are looking forward to the Crown in Aug. This is a bucket list trip and will have many firsts, some of which I have not found answers to.

1. This is the first time we have flown to a foreign country, Vancouver. Do we just pack meds in 7 day packs, like we do here or do we need bottles?

2. When we get to Whittier, what is the drill?

3. We have a mini-suite on the Crown, D614. What are the power outlets in the stateroom?

Thanks in advance for all your help. I know from the posts some of you are dedicated Princess sailors. This will be our first.

I'll try to answer some of these.

1. As for Rx medications, my husband usually uses a pill-minder or little plastic packets for each day that you can get at a pharmacy. He has never been questioned. The bottles would probably be the safest, but if you have many meds, I know this can be a bit of a hassle. I am not an authority on this one. Just have never had it be an issue .... yet. Maybe carry a written prescription from your doctor, if you're going to use a pill-minder?

2. It's been 10 years since I've been to Whittier, but there will be a terminal there where the ship docks. And there will be plenty of Princess personnel to direct you. They staff this very well. If you have checked luggage, there will be porters to take your luggage. Make sure you have your Princess luggage tags on your bags before getting to Whittier. It's cumbersome to try and do it at the dock. You will then have to fill out a health questionnaire that basically asks a couple of questions regarding any illnesses in the past seven (?) days (for Noro-Virus issues).

Then, you will be directed to a counter where you will present your Boarding Pass, Passport, Credit Card, etc. Sometimes these are broken up by Deck (Dolphin, Caribe, etc.), depending on your cabin location. If you are early, you will be directed to a waiting area, and are usually given a group number for when they start boarding. If you go directly on board, you will go through security (similar to an airport, but not as extensive). And then you will be on board and directed to your cabin. Your checked baggage will arrive your cabin shortly before (sometimes after) sailing.

If you can, taking the train from Anchorage to Whittier is a wonderful way to make that transfer. It picks you up right at the airport. Highly recommend it.

3. Outlets are standard US 120V. However, there is only one outlet at the desk and one behind the TV. Because we are now connected to so many devices, we take a short power-strip with us. And, if you use a C-Pap, the desk outlet would probably be a pretty long stretch without an extension cord, unless the C-Pap has a long cord.

Alaska is still one of our favorite cruises. Enjoy.

I just realized that you are sailing from Vancouver and that you were probably asking about disembarkation. You will receive detailed information during the cruise regarding disembarkation. In a nutshell, they divide the passengers in to color coded groups to leave the ship. It is usually based on your post-cruise plans, flight times, etc. Nothing to worry about. You will receive all of this information all too soon while on the cruise.

But I still recommend taking the train from Whittier to Anchorage!

When flying, you're supposed to have prescriptions in the original container. However, that can be bulky and take up room. I use a 7-day pill dispenser and put extras (always at least 5 days more than I need) in small pill baggies. I make sure I bring the prescription information receipt from the druggist with me for "just in case."

A few days before disembarkation, you'll receive disembarkation forms to fill out with your preference. You can sign up for a transfer or indicate you have independent transportation.

There are two 3-prong outlets at the desk that are standard US outlets. They are pretty close together so I bring a 3:1 adapter although I'm now bringing an adapter that takes four USB plugs. Most phones and cameras have a USB cord. Some people bring power strips but I've found them too bulky and heavy.

My DW and I are looking forward to the Crown in Aug. This is a bucket list trip and will have many firsts, some of which I have not found answers to.

1. This is the first time we have flown to a foreign country, Vancouver. Do we just pack meds in 7 day packs, like we do here or do we need bottles?

3. We have a mini-suite on the Crown, D614. What are the power outlets in the stateroom?

Thanks in advance for all your help. I know from the posts some of you are dedicated Princess sailors. This will be our first.

It would be rare for Canadian customs to hassle you about prescription meds. The only time that comes up is if they had another reason to take a closer look at you. IF anyone in your party has any kind of a criminal record, smells like illegal drugs, etc then you will have a problem YVR is probably the toughest entry port in the country and the busiest.

FYI we are on your cruise also, there is a roll call for this cruise over on the roll call boards.

Also a two prong in the bathroom which is meant for shavers.

Can also be used for a night light or charging camera batteries.

(There will be a hair dryer at the desk in the cabin which will not require the use of an outlet.)

As far as pills, except for one country in Africa where we were told in advance we had to have prescriptions in original containers, we have never worried about doing so. (And that one country did not check them anyway.)

I take my pills in their original containers and only take the amount I need + additional 2 day supply. (You never know what may happen) I do not take very many meds. Hubby does the 7 days pill containers, one for day and one for night. He has his Dr. run his meds from their computer and takes that as proof of use. Never yet have been asked. Do not pack in your luggage, put them in your carryon.:)

We have never been asked about our medications at any foreign port of entry or exit.:cool:

Why are you giving this a thumbs down when you are not even there yet?

My DH and I always take our meds in the daily pill reminder...doesn't matter if it's to the Caribbean, Europe, South Pacific, etc. Never had a problem. If you feel uncomfortable then bring the bottles instead. Just pack any meds in your carry on not your checked luggage. You will receive instructions in your cabin before you get to Whittier for disembarkation. If you are from the US then you will have no problem with your power outlets, otherwise bring the proper plugs to fit a US outlet. Relax and enjoy your cruise. Alaska cruises are so beautiful!!

I think the op thought the thumbs down was a question mark. people have made that mistake before.

I don't notice any difference flying into vancouver from the states as any other city. I smiled when you said you hadn't been to a foreign country. it doesn't look much different than the u.s. :) so on August 30, welcome to Canada and enjoy your cruise! no worries at the terminals; there are lots of princess employees directing you or answering your questions.