Teachers... advice for when to travel

Thank you for all of the responses! I live in Jersey so we only get off for a week at Christmas and Easter. We start after Labor Day and end late June. I wish I could use personal days before/after a holiday since we sometimes have long weekends, but we're not allowed per contract. I guess there's no trick since most people travel similar times of year. Maybe the end of August wouldn't be too bad, although I will have to worry about the heat and hurricanes. Maybe I will just have to look into Christmas or Easter times and suck it up! Lol I look forward to retirement, but have a long way to go!

As a teacher (35 years) I have found February President's Week has slightly lower prices than other vacation times. (look at my signature - all peak vacation period sailings!) Looking forward to the future when I can book those wonderful deals for non-school vacation time periods, and literally cruise for 1/2 of what I pay now for peak periods. Also - booking far in advance gets you the lowest price - and if the price drops on certain lines, you can get obc or a refund depending on what "code" you book under- sometimes up to three days before sailing! Summer is a great time to sail from NY/NJ. While prices are higher, you would save alot on airfare/pre-cruise hotel costs.

Edited by pe4all

Thank you for all of the responses! I live in Jersey so we only get off for a week at Christmas and Easter. We start after Labor Day and end late June. I wish I could use personal days before/after a holiday since we sometimes have long weekends, but we're not allowed per contract. I guess there's no trick since most people travel similar times of year. Maybe the end of August wouldn't be too bad, although I will have to worry about the heat and hurricanes. Maybe I will just have to look into Christmas or Easter times and suck it up! Lol I look forward to retirement, but have a long way to go!

We're also in NJ and we have Christmas break, then Easter (which is either the week into or out of Easter Sunday) and we didn't finish this year until June 27. So we go the last week of August (this year sailing on Freedom on August 24th) or during the Easter break.

For our August cruise, like I said, I booked air back in October and waited. Both this week and last, my Freedom sailing went on the Tuesday sale (GGG) and balcony cabins were going at $749/pp (and that is for D1 cabins). If you wanted an OV or an inside, they were even cheaper.

So think about that strategy as an option. Our April sailing on Oasis also had some significant price reductions the closer you got, and if you had air already in place, you can wait it out.

I am a teacher as well and will go on my second Thanksgiving week cruise. I go this week due to the fact I have 3 kids two are in high school swimming so that week does not really disrupt their sports schedule. Wish I could travel at other times for price especially but we had a great Thanksgiving cruise once and hope Allure delivers also. Good luck making your cruise choice!

Barb

Do you think there are as many kids during Thanksgiving week as during Christmas, spring break, or mid-summer? I have taken a Thanksgiving 3-nighter out of Port Canaveral because it leaves on Thursday and returns on Sunday, but this year I booked a 5-night (Monday through Saturday) and wonder what to expect.

I'm a teacher in Florida. Most all public schools in Florida start between 8/7- 2 weeks before Labor Day. The best way to get the lowest prices is too book your airfare first way in advance and don't be too picky on the cruise line or itinerary and you will probably snag a great deal. You might fly in and out of Orlando, but cruise out of Tampa, Ft Lauderdale or Miami. The cost of the rental car will be minimal to what you can save on the cruise.

You will probably get a good deal 3 weeks before you actually fly here.

I didn't think I was going to get to cruise this March as the prices were crazy high. 3 weeks before I could cruise, the Allure had balcony cabins $879 pp D1.

Many Florida public schools have Spring Break scattered over March and the first week of April. The week is set and may or may not fall on Easter.

Worse case scenario is you take a 3 or 4 night cruise and then just hang out the other nights somewhere in Florida. You can get good deals on hotels if you are willing to be 10 or more miles away from the beach. I live on the east coast, but the west coast water is so calm. No shark bites on the west coast.

If you come in August, I would avoid the Daytona Beach area if you plan on going in the water. They usually have the most shark bites in this month. More people in the water......

3 weeks ago I snagged an Enchantment cruise 3 nights 259 pp inside for August and I also booked the Majesty 199 pp inside for Labor Day weekend.

I watch the RCCL site daily. I hope this helps.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I am a teacher and am seeking advice on when to travel on another RCI cruise. I obviously only get off when school isn't in session. This is mostly holidays (Thanksgiving, Christmas, Easter) and summer. Taking this into consideration and the influx of children on cruises during this time as well... when would be the best time to take a cruise? I know some cruises only leave certain days/ports so it can be limiting. I am currently booked for a 3 NIGHT cruise in December, but would like to experience a week long cruise. Any advice?

Thanks for being a teacher. I am a parent, and ironically, I have exactly the same issue!!!! As a parent, we need to plan our vacations around kids, just like a teacher. For example, we go on school breaks, and summer breaks.

We always try to book immediately after the last week of school. If you live in the South, pick the first week of June. If up North, than pick the last week of Summer. Both weeks have "less" kids on vacation.

Generally speaking, you questions is a good question, buy why did you tell us you are a teacher? We all have the same issues and many others have other work issues to work around.

Thanks for being a teacher. I am a parent, and ironically, I have exactly the same issue!!!! As a parent, we need to plan our vacations around kids, just like a teacher. For example, we go on school breaks, and summer breaks.

We always try to book immediately after the last week of school. If you live in the South, pick the first week of June. If up North, than pick the last week of Summer. Both weeks have "less" kids on vacation.

Generally speaking, you questions is a good question, buy why did you tell us you are a teacher? We all have the same issues and many others have other work issues to work around.

Agree -- parents who don't take their kids out of school for vacation have the same exact issue. My stepson is 13 and has perfect attendance and we don't intend to change that any time soon...plus he's my step son...which means I not only have to work around school, but also his mom's schedule; so first or second week of August it is! Ideal - nope. Pricey - yep. Full of kids, hot as heck, and threats of hurricanes -- absolutely. But I love to cruise and want my stepson to experience fun family vacations.

Agree -- parents who don't take their kids out of school for vacation have the same exact issue. My stepson is 13 and has perfect attendance and we don't intend to change that any time soon...plus he's my step son...which means I not only have to work around school, but also his mom's schedule; so first or second week of August it is! Ideal - nope. Pricey - yep. Full of kids, hot as heck, and threats of hurricanes -- absolutely. But I love to cruise and want my stepson to experience fun family vacations.

As much as it's a PIA, you are right- it's worth it to have this time with the kids! At 13, it's only 4-5 years before you can travel on your own time, and you'll find your SS probably won't be able to travel with you at all due to work, school or military obligations :( It happens so fast!