New Royal and Regal Mini-suite design

Mister White

I am going on the Regal princess early 2015 and from looking at the official video and some you tube vids - it is apparent that the layout for the mini-suite has changed

I have been in many of the old mini-suites and have gotten so used to room configuration, the amount of storage and what to expect as far as where and how to store all my stuff.

Has anyone been in the mini-suite configuration after having experienced the older layouts? What was your opinion of them - good or bad. Was there enough storage? Was the added room curtain a plus?

Just interested to see what other people familiar with the old mini-suite configuration think about the new configuration on the Regal and Royal.

Thanks.

I am going on the Regal princess early 2015 and from looking at the official video and some you tube vids - it is apparent that the layout for the mini-suite has changed

I have been in many of the old mini-suites and have gotten so used to room configuration, the amount of storage and what to expect as far as where and how to store all my stuff.

Has anyone been in the mini-suite configuration after having experienced the older layouts? What was your opinion of them - good or bad. Was there enough storage? Was the added room curtain a plus?

Just interested to see what other people familiar with the old mini-suite configuration think about the new configuration on the Regal and Royal.

Thanks.

What are you seeing that has changed? Thought they were the same. :confused:

Right, I thought they were still similar.

At least they appeared that way to me when I was researching our Regal cruise.

I believe the main difference is that the center island that held the TV's is much smaller...

What are you seeing that has changed? Thought they were the same. :confused:

The mini-suites I am used too have angled cabinets that are across from the bed and the sitting area. These cabinets had an upper shelf which accommodated the televisions. Next to the bed was another angled desk area. This configuration offered alot of storage and more privacy (in my opinion) from the bed to sitting area.

Now the rooms have a bed and sofa on one wall with no visible separation other than the curtain. Across from the bed and sofa is a single desk.

maybe it's just a case of "old dog-new tricks" but I'm so conditioned to knowing what I can safely bring and tuck away in the storage areas of this room type.

Thanks again for all your responses.

We had no problem with storage on the Royal mini and brought a significant amount of clothes (Transatlantic + Baltics). We enjoyed the curtain separation which we heretofore had experienced only in full suites, and the bathroom design. (Others had complaints about the position of the toilet paper holder but I think it would only be an issue if you had range of motion problems with your left arm.) Our only complaint was the miniscule size of the balcony. We thought we were prepared for this by reading all the negative reviews, and the size didn't stop us from enjoying ours, but it was a huge miscalculation IMO. We are booked on the Regal's maiden transatlantic this fall and expect to enjoy our mini just as much as we did on the Royal.

I loved the addition of the curtain on the Royal; however I felt like it was more cramped on the couch side than the Grand class ships. The table/chair always seemed to be in the way, and I felt like we moved furniture a lot more.

We have never had problems with storage in either mini-suite design (even with the smaller closet on the Royal).

We always stay in mini suites. I liked the mini on the Royal. I initially thought there wouldn't be as much storage but we had plenty. I don't recall us having to shuffle furniture around. We didn't use the dividing curtain but I was glad to see it. I think that is a positive addition. It will take a little getting used to having to put your card in the slot by the door to get lights but that was fine, too. You still have power to the outlets when there is no card in the slot. We brought a night light for the bathroom to compensate for the light issue.

We've had both the "old" version and the "new", and I really didn't see that much difference. Actually, I felt the television in the "living area" was easier to watch as it sat directly in front of the couch. We, too, never used the curtains other than maybe when one of us took a nap and the other worked or watched television. As has been said, over and over, yes, the balconies are smaller and I, too wish they were even just a foot more out, but it didn't keep us off the balcony at wine time or on our sea days. I think you'll enjoy the Regal. Most of us "old dogs" can learn the new tricks, it just may take a little longer.

• 4 weeks later...
I loved the addition of the curtain on the Royal; however I felt like it was more cramped on the couch side than the Grand class ships. The table/chair always seemed to be in the way, and I felt like we moved furniture a lot more.

We have never had problems with storage in either mini-suite design (even with the smaller closet on the Royal).

I have a question on the mini-suite. When we have stayed in them, we were using the couch at night for a bed for the third person in the room. It seems like with the desk located across from the sofa, there wouldn't be room to pull it out into a bed.