No new ship for Carnival in 2017

jimbo5544

With ports like Baltimore, Tampa and Jacksonville, all limited because of bridge clearances, I wonder if Carnival (and other cruise lines) are exploring smaller newbuilds that will fit into these ports (and other ports of call currently too small for the newest ships), or I wonder if more and more ports will be abandoned altogether.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

With ports like Baltimore, Tampa and Jacksonville, all limited because of bridge clearances, I wonder if Carnival (and other cruise lines) are exploring smaller newbuilds that will fit into these ports (and other ports of call currently too small for the newest ships), or I wonder if more and more ports will be abandoned altogether.

Might be a dumb question but why couldnt a modified spirit class ship be built tht is say 1200 ft long?

I think more ports will be abandoned.

If it was a good idea they would be building them longer for awhile now. Must be more economical to make them taller and not as long but not a ship builder.

Longer hull means more steal and more weight

taller uses more aluminum and less weight

I just like the bigger better version of the Spirit class:D

Has anyone thought things out? The mega ships cannot get into many ports. The itineraries are very limited. Some will sail a big ship because it's a "destination" in itself. The smaller ships can get into channels and under bridges. If Carnival pulls them out, then people will complain they have no ships to cruise on. So, they do indeed fill a need.

See i like to read between the lines lol. It said the princess CEO said it was the only planned ship. I took it as only planned sip so far. I would think especially in light of the news about getting rid of 6 ships. A nother announcement woukd come soon to keep with the company's 2-3 ships a year policy. I would think HAL or carnival would get another new build.

I like the way you think!

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

I keep trying to tell y'all that the Caribbean is over saturated right now. Unless and until they start kicking Fantasy class to the curb in bunches, Carnival has too much capacity right now.

If they were to move some ships overseas, it might be a different story.

They need to move one to San Francisco and give people an option of cruising either on Princess or Carnival. Right now Princess is out of San Francisco. they just built a new pier for Princess. Get rid of the Inspiration and Imagination - no balconies on either ship.

April 2016

Specs not til 2016? Highly doubt that. Don't they usually release ship details like 2 Years prior to inauguration? Or is it just going to be a big surprise and have it built behind a big black curtain.

Sent from my HTC One mini using Forums mobile app

Specs not til 2016? Highly doubt that. Don't they usually release ship details like 2 Years prior to inauguration? Or is it just going to be a big surprise and have it built behind a big black curtain.

Surprised they havent really released much info on the Vista. Would think they would want the publicity and excitement of a new ship.

Not spec in April 2016, released to Carnival from Fincantieri in April with a season in Europe. I would think specs would be near the end of this year, probably tied to the release of the initial schedule.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

Edited by jimbo5544

Wonder which ship classes are most profitable. Do they do better on shorter or longer cruises.

If we knew that we could give them the answer.

Im pretty sure they already know the answer to that. :rolleyes:;)

Carnival used to be the leader in both new ship construction and innovations on these ships. Overall the past several years, Carnival has made a corporate decesion to reduce new ship construction. In that Carnival has decided to be one of the most inexpensive, if not the cheapest of the major cruise lines, they are trying to concentrate on price/cost reduction. Carnival does feel that it makes more sense to continue to do upgrades on their older ships. This will, hopefully, keep prices down, but will mean that Carnival will be way behind the curve, especially in comparison to RCCL in new and innovative ships.

If you want to sail on the new "wow" ships, I would suggest RCCL or NCL.

Carnival used to be the leader in both new ship construction and innovations on these ships. Overall the past several years, Carnival has made a corporate decesion to reduce new ship construction. In that Carnival has decided to be one of the most inexpensive, if not the cheapest of the major cruise lines, they are trying to concentrate on price/cost reduction. Carnival does feel that it makes more sense to continue to do upgrades on their older ships. This will, hopefully, keep prices down, but will mean that Carnival will be way behind the curve, especially in comparison to RCCL in new and innovative ships.

If you want to sail on the new "wow" ships, I would suggest RCCL or NCL.

It certainly does seem to be a different strategy for CCL as opposed to RCCL or NCL. I do not think that different means wrong. Personally, I cruise for interesting ports and being close to the sea. These new mega ships seem to have boring itineraries and seem to close you off from the sea. I have been told that the ship is the destination. This is fine for those that like that. Not all people do, and it does not particularly appeal to me.

You also have to remember the depreciation costs that are significant. Carnival amortizes ship purchases on a straight line basis over 30 years. So the Vista cost of $780 million for 4000 berths works out to a depreciation cost of $125 per passenger per 7 day cruise. The Fantasy, built for $225 million in 1989 (2000 berths) still has $75 per 7 days per passenger. In a few years, this depreciation will cease. In a similar vein, Oasis 3 (1.3 billion for 5400 berths) has depreciation costs of $154 per passenger per 7 day cruise. Of course, all these figures are ignoring the costs of on going updates over the course of the life of the ship.

These are significant differences in costs, which greatly affect the profitability of the cruise line. RCCL will be going into far more debt than CCL, which puts them at greater risk over the long term, and may well impact their ability to innovate (or even build new ships) in the future. In a business that is as capital intensive as a cruise line, it is a perpetual balancing act to keep the fleet refreshed and innovative while controlling capital costs and debt.

Carnival has been saying all along that passenger growth is slowing. Let the others overbuild and keep cruise prices (and their margins) low. Perhaps even overpay if the economy tanks again.

I see Carnival has scheduled a dry dock for Fantasy. A ship allegedly for sale.

It doesn't take 3 years to build a cruise ship and Carnival has been know to change decisions if conditions warrant.