Splendor Advice Needed - What Not to Miss

gaillyn518

Hi. Last year, I went on the Glory. I found some really helpful posts about places to go/food areas that were "hidden treasures/not to be missed.

I can't find posts like that with the Splendor. Can anyone point me in the right direction or offer some advice? I am going with my 11 year old son.

TIA!!!!

On sea days, brunch in dining room.

On sea days (including first night), Tastings Bar where sushi used to be.

On sea days, various games are held in doors on the same deck as the Customer Service desk and Shore Excursion desk.

If you have kids, Dr. Seuss breakfast (small extra charge & you need tov reserve) and Dr. Seuss parade which anyone can join in. Also, special photo sessions with Dr. Seuss characters also on the same deck as Customer Service and Shore Excursions deck.

If your sailing is at least 7 days or more, 2 special buffets held at night along with deck parties at night.

MARAPRINCE

Hi. Last year, I went on the Glory. I found some really helpful posts about places to go/food areas that were "hidden treasures/not to be missed.

I can't find posts like that with the Splendor. Can anyone point me in the right direction or offer some advice? I am going with my 11 year old son.

TIA!!!!

You might want to check out this thread http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1823567

And there's a review of my cruise on the Splendor last June in my sig.

I loved the Splendor and we are booked again for Sept 1. There are "hidden" decks in the bow - access from deck 9 forward. IIRC there were 3 and you can go from one to the other.

We loved the mini-golf - such fun on a ship! You never know what's going to happen! Get the clubs and a ball by the pool at the base of the water slide - good slide! Ping Pong tables between the grill and the pizza station on the Lido (deck 9) near the mid-ship pool.

Hot tubs under cover (for inclement weather) on deck 10 balcony by the mid-ship pool.

They do Giant Jenga in the atrium on sea days. Check your Fun Times. Looked like fun, but we only watched. Also bean bag toss on the Lido by the mid-ship pool.

Always tables to be found on the rotisserie area - deck 10 just above the Lido buffet.

I love the Mongolian Wok - best food on the ship IMO! Go on day 1 or go early - there are lines, but they move fairly quickly.

Aft part of the Lido buffet has the Burrito Bar at lunch - they're yum and you pick what you want in them. Also right near there, by the stairs, they have taco chips, salsa, guacamole, sour cream, chopped onions - you can make a nice snack!

Deli and Tandoori are by the aft adults only pool.

Lots of live music to be found as well as the DJ on the Lido. We liked the El Mojito bar on deck 5/Promenade aft. You can't get frozen drinks, but you can get wine, martinis, I think beer and mixed drinks like a gin and tonic.

Enjoy your cruise!

Love the spa on the Splendor - spent tons of time there. We have a spa balcony booked again for January - can't wait.

I also love the fact that the aft pool is adults only!!! Great fun to sit there in the late morning and they come around with the bloody mary cart - heaven!!

The steak house on the Splendor is very nice -- I found it much more elegant than both the Dream and the Magic.

Happy that there's a Red Frog Rum Bar now by the Splendido pool! Looking forward to that as well as returning to Belize and Roatan -- and going to Grand Cayman for the first time.

I can tell you what to miss on Splendor. Dana in the piano bar. I thought he was pretty bad.

Sad to hear. I'm on this ship Sept. 27 for my honeymoon, and I have always loved the piano bar. It will stink if this guy sucks. Then again, reading some reviews of the guys I loved, I found some people considered them the worst ever, so I guess everyone has different tastes. Really wish I would make it to a ship with a woman piano bar player.

Kind of the same thing with cruise directors. I, for one, am not really looking forward to Malcolm Burn. I read he is one of those annoying "woohoo" CDs that think us shouting somehow adds excitement to the vacation (it only detracts, if you ask me). Hope he keeps the announcements to a minimum.

Anyway, another question: What's in the rotisserie? Is it just chicken?

Also, anyone know if the sommelier still does a wine pairing class? I did it on the Freedom and would love to do it with my wife.

Sad to hear. I'm on this ship Sept. 27 for my honeymoon, and I have always loved the piano bar. It will stink if this guy sucks. Then again, reading some reviews of the guys I loved, I found some people considered them the worst ever, so I guess everyone has different tastes. Really wish I would make it to a ship with a woman piano bar player.

Kind of the same thing with cruise directors. I, for one, am not really looking forward to Malcolm Burn. I read he is one of those annoying "woohoo" CDs that think us shouting somehow adds excitement to the vacation (it only detracts, if you ask me). Hope he keeps the announcements to a minimum.

Anyway, another question: What's in the rotisserie? Is it just chicken?

Also, anyone know if the sommelier still does a wine pairing class? I did it on the Freedom and would love to do it with my wife.

The rotisserie has mac n cheese, some salads and baked potatoes from what I remember. Best part about for me is the lack of a crowd.

Everyone has different tastes with cruise directors and none have ever ruined my cruise, but we've been on board with Malcolm a few times and he's a nice guy and does a good job. He isn't leading chants of woohoos, it's more like his closing after an announcement and I didn't think he did any more announcements than the norm. Hope you enjoy the Splendor.

The rotisserie has mac n cheese, some salads and baked potatoes from what I remember. Best part about for me is the lack of a crowd.

Everyone has different tastes with cruise directors and none have ever ruined my cruise, but we've been on board with Malcolm a few times and he's a nice guy and does a good job. He isn't leading chants of woohoos, it's more like his closing after an announcement and I didn't think he did any more announcements than the norm. Hope you enjoy the Splendor.

Yeah, a CD is unlikely to "ruin" a cruise. I just don't care to see or hear them outside of the shows. Too many think everyone is the same excitable extroverts they are. But I'm sure he will be OK at least. I just remember cringing every time the Valor's Filipe demanded a "woohoo" from me.

Really wish I would make it to a ship with a woman piano bar player.

splendor HAD a woman piano bar player - tonya scott - in january, and she was FANTASTIC!

she's one of the best i've ever encountered. video doesn't do it justice :)