Pros, Cons of Buying Celebrity's Travel Insurance?

jasm8449

We have purchased the cruise insurance offered by Celebrity in the past, but I'm wondering if there is anything about their coverage that is lacking compared to other insurance providers. What I've liked about Celebrity's is that they offer 75% of the trip cost if you cannot sail for uncovered reasons.

BTW we're from Canada, and while Celebrity's insurance provider will cover us, perhaps some other US based insurance companies won't.

In the past we've purchased the Celebrity insurance at times when we've been concerned about contingencies that were not covered by most travel insurance policies just for the 70% cancel for any reason benefit. But do be aware that this benefit only gives a future cruise credit and only covers the cost of the cruise paid to Celebrity.

In general most of the important coverage limits for items other than cancellation are lower on the Celebrity policy than on similarly priced policies from independent travel insurance companies. For example the medical evacuation coverage limits are lower in most cases and many view this coverage as one of the most important as the actual costs, in the unlikely event you need it, are extremely expensive.

I'm pretty sure that all travel insurance must be tailored to the laws of where you live and/or the companies must be registered where you live to sell you policies. I know when I've bought insurance one of the questions on the form, before the insurance is even quoted, is our country and state of residence. If you Google travel insurance you'll find some web sites that quote and compare travel insurance from many insurers. You can fill out a short form on their web site and it will list several polices with different options that will be available to you if they can sell to residents of your country. The only way you'll know who can sell you travel insurance is by checking it out.

Edited by Lsimon

We often buy an independent insurance policy so we can cover our whole trip ---- cruise, airfare, hotels, anything prepaid. In the US, there is a website called insuremytrip.com that guides you in comparing different policies as to coverage, cost, and so on. I'm thinking there must be something similar in Canada if you do a little digging. However, if we are taking a trip which is mainly just the cruise, like out of NYC where we can drive to the port, we are more likely to go with the Celebrity policy for their cancel for any reason feature.

Edited by cynbar

I think you have to look closely at the amount of coverage for medical and evacuation costs. $10,000 medical and $25,000 evacuation coverage is, IMHO, quite low. For those that might wind up in a US hospital, that $10,000 might cover the first day. While the cost of evacuation from the ship to a hospital may be free depending on the country (e.g. The US coast guard does not charge for emergency medical evacuations), the cost to get you back to your home can be significantly higher if you need to travel with a doctor at your side or in a chartered plane.

Don't assume that just because Celebrity sells the policy, it's a good policy for you.

Our personal view is that we need at least $50,000 medical and $100,000 evacuation insurance and even then, we have an annual MedJet Assist policy that covers getting us home. The only advantage we see in the cruise line offered policy is that they often have some sort of "cancel for any reason" and get a credit for a future cruise...and in some cases, they are not priced by age so if you are elderly, they may (sometimes) cost less than if you bought a comparable policy independently.

I'd advise going to insuremytrip, squaremouth or some other on-line travel insurance site and seeing what an independent policy offers.

Fellow Canadian here...

We buy our Medical Health Insurance separate from Travel Insurance... As we tend to travel a lot over the course of a year (including many side trips across the boder to the USA). We buy an annual plan with good coverage that covers us for up to 15 / 30 days out of the country at a time (which plan depends on our Big Trip plans for that year... Although top ups can be bought for extra days... Ie going to be out of country 35 days not 30)

Travel Trip Insurance we purchase when we've made a significant investment that is difficult to cancel refund... So not for road trips (hotel cancellations tend to be easy) but YES for Cruises, All Inclusives and Air Travel.

Generally speaking... Celebrity's Insurance has been great for our cruises and works for the cruise & fly portions when we book flight thru ChoiceAir (i am also another one that likes the "any reason clause")... Or if we've used a TA or in particular a Loyalty Program then we buy insurance thru the (ie Airmiles.ca in that way we insure both the trip and our points used)

I agree with the others you need to be very aware of what your coverage is and how it is applied... Especially so when it comes to Medical Health Insurance... Because god forbid if something was to happen you want to get out of a Foreign / US Hospital and get home to Canada ASAP (LSIMON mentioned buying Med Insurance from some one here in Canada... That is extremely important IMO because of our Medicare System and for example how OHIP would apply costs / dovetail for expenses)

So ya evac and return are key clauses to look at understand

In the past we've used big name companies for our Med Insurance... Blue Cross & CAA. Felt safe & secure as we did have a relative once who had a serious issue while abroad and they were covered 100%.

Hope this helps,

Cheers!

Edited by Sloop-JohnB

You might want to take a look at http://www.kanetix.ca. It will provide you with quotes from a number of different Canadian companies.

If you are a federal government employee or retiree with PSHCP coverage, you should also look at Medoc travel insurance. I recently had to make a claim due to a medical issue that required us to return to Ottawa half way through a two week cruise and I was extremely satisfied with the claim process and outcome.

.... Celebrity's Insurance has been great for our cruises and works for the cruise & fly portions when we book flight thru ChoiceAir (i am also another one that likes the "any reason clause")...

I'm fairly sure that, at least on the USA Policy, Celebrity's covers airfare for cancellation and trip interruption/delay to the amounts stated in the policy no matter who you buy your airfare from. At least that is my read on the policy terms. But I do not believe that any airfare or other costs, beyond the basic non-refundable cruise cost paid to Celebrity, is covered under their "any reason" clause.

Always a good idea to check the actual policy terms and a copy of the terms is on Celebrity's site or other insurers site if buying elsewhere. A lot of people make incorrect presumptions on what is covered and what is not. It isn't too unusual to see a post on cruise critic about a problem where someone says "I hope they had cruise insurance" when the event being discussed is something travel insurance would never cover.

I'm fairly sure that, at least on the USA Policy, Celebrity's covers airfare for cancellation and trip interruption/delay to the amounts stated in the policy no matter who you buy your airfare from. At least that is my read on the policy terms. But I do not believe that any airfare or other costs, beyond the basic non-refundable cruise cost paid to Celebrity, is covered under their "any reason" clause.

Always a good idea to check the actual policy terms and a copy of the terms is on Celebrity's site or other insurers site if buying elsewhere. A lot of people make incorrect presumptions on what is covered and what is not. It isn't too unusual to see a post on cruise critic about a problem where someone says "I hope they had cruise insurance" when the event being discussed is something travel insurance would never cover.

True enough.

You said what I was trying to say much better than I did (just couldn't find the right words for some reason)

When it comes to Insurances (any type travel or other) it comes down to Buyer Be Ware in my book... You have to know 100% exactly what you are purchasing... Hoping you are covered is not enough.

Cheers!

Ps... Last Celebrity Cruise we were on the Summit in an Aft Sunset Veranda... LOVED IT. We booked it partly due to your recommendation / photos here on CC. So a big heartfelt THANKS for all you do to help others on this Forum.

Edited by Sloop-JohnB

Would suggest that you consider what for us is one of the most important items...namely does the insurance cover pre-existing conditions. Many, if not all of the cruise line policies DO NOT provide this coverage.

Happy cruising!

Do you really have pre-existing conditions AS DEFINED BY THE POLICY...or do you just have chronic conditions that you know are pre-existing? Let me explain. The first thing to find out BY READING THE POLICY is whether you have a pre-existing condition you should worry about....most policies have a "lookback" period that ranges from 60-180 days. Many of us have long term conditions where we visit the doctor annually or semi-annually for routine test..and a routine test can include a stress test, echocardiogram, etc. If you have not changed medications (or dosages) or had a non-routine visit to your doctor related to the issue, then you DON"T have a preexisting condition. Let me say it another way...you have high blood pressure...had it for years....taking medication that controls it with no changes in the past 60-180 days....and you have a heart attack on the ship, you would be covered because you don't have a pre-existing condition. Another example..if you have afib and you are on coumadin where the dosage changes based on blood tests then you probably have a pre-existing condition; if you take Xaralto/Pradaxa/.... where there aren't dosage changes, then you may well not have a pre-existing condition even though, in both cases, you have the same medical condition.

If you actually do have a pre-existing condition as defined by the policy, then you should take travel insurance when you first book the ticket because most policies (check this for the specific policy you are offered) waive the pre-existing condition exclusion if you buy within 14-21 days of booking (it varies).

Edited by ghstudio

Do you really have pre-existing conditions AS DEFINED BY THE POLICY...or do you just have chronic conditions that you know are pre-existing? Let me explain. The first thing to find out BY READING THE POLICY is whether you have a pre-existing condition you should worry about....most policies have a "lookback" period that ranges from 60-180 days. Many of us have long term conditions where we visit the doctor annually or semi-annually for routine test..and a routine test can include a stress test, echocardiogram, etc. If you have not changed medications (or dosages) or had a non-routine visit to your doctor related to the issue, then you DON"T have a preexisting condition. Let me say it another way...you have high blood pressure...had it for years....taking medication that controls it with no changes in the past 60-180 days....and you have a heart attack on the ship, you would be covered because you don't have a pre-existing condition. Another example..if you have afib and you are on coumadin where the dosage changes based on blood tests then you probably have a pre-existing condition; if you take Xaralto/Pradaxa/.... where there aren't dosage changes, then you may well not have a pre-existing condition even though, in both cases, you have the same medical condition.

If you actually do have a pre-existing condition as defined by the policy, then you should take travel insurance when you first book the ticket because most policies (check this for the specific policy you are offered) waive the pre-existing condition exclusion if you buy within 14-21 days of booking (it varies).

I agree with everything said here, and would add another thing to double-check with respect to stability. Under some policies, a medical condition must be stable both 90 days before the booking and 90 days before the date of departure. So if your doctor has just changed or given you a new prescription, don't book for another 90 days, even if the cruise is a year and a half away. I'm not sure that I understand the rationale for this, as you are ensuring yourself for the cruise, not the cruise booking, but perhaps others can suggest a reason.

I agree with everything said here, and would add another thing to double-check with respect to stability. Under some policies, a medical condition must be stable both 90 days before the booking and 90 days before the date of departure. So if your doctor has just changed or given you a new prescription, don't book for another 90 days, even if the cruise is a year and a half away. I'm not sure that I understand the rationale for this, as you are ensuring yourself for the cruise, not the cruise booking, but perhaps others can suggest a reason.

I've never seen a travel insurance policy with both 90 day periods...all that I've seen in the US only look at the 60-180 days before you purchase the policy. Perhaps this is a Canada thing???

I've never seen a travel insurance policy with both 90 day periods...all that I've seen in the US only look at the 60-180 days before you purchase the policy. Perhaps this is a Canada thing???

I suppose that's possible. :(

Big PRO - FANTASTIC!!!!!!!! We bought the insurance on Summit. I though the insurance was only if something happened when we were on the ship. We booked our air and hotel independent of Celebrity so did not think the insurance would cover anything pre-cruise - BUT THEY DID:)

I fell in San Juan when doing my power walk. Ended up going to the ER in San Juan and getting a bunch of stitches. They paid for the entire cost of the ER plus the cost of getting the stitches out on the ship.

We always buy the ship insurance, and will continue to do so after having such a fantastic experience with it when I needed it.

Big PRO - FANTASTIC!!!!!!!! We bought the insurance on Summit. I though the insurance was only if something happened when we were on the ship. We booked our air and hotel independent of Celebrity so did not think the insurance would cover anything pre-cruise - BUT THEY DID:)

I fell in San Juan when doing my power walk. Ended up going to the ER in San Juan and getting a bunch of stitches. They paid for the entire cost of the ER plus the cost of getting the stitches out on the ship.

We always buy the ship insurance, and will continue to do so after having such a fantastic experience with it when I needed it.

That is great news, but how did you get around the "secondary" coverage provision -- or has that requirement changed?

How were you charged for getting the stitches out on the ship?

When a member of our party had a similar situation, they billed the charges for his medical treatment on the ship to his shipboard account, so he needed to pay them himself and then get reimbursed later.

He was informed that he would need to file a claim with his own insurance company first because the ship's insurance provided only "secondary" coverage, and they needed to receive proof of rejection from his own insurance carrier before they would pay anything.

So he first had to submit the claim to his own insurance company, then wait until he received a written statement from them of what they were refusing to pay in order to submit it to the ship's insurance company.

They did pay eventually, but it was a hassle that involved a lot of red tape through several billing cycles before the ship's insurance finally reimbursed him.

From what you are saying though, it looks like there should be a much easier way to handle it.