QM2, sea day attire info for a newbie, please

starryuk

Hello Everyone,

We are trying out QM2 for the first time. I am excited to go onboard this famous ship, especially as I visited her predecessor when she was berthed in LA many years ago. I haven't sailed on a Cunard ship since 1969 when I was a child!!!!!

Up to now, we have always cruised on P and O, but could not resist a mini break on QM2 in November.

'Cocktail dress' is one of the options given for informal evenings, which is making me wonder how smartly people dress during the day, when just pottering round the ship.

Any advice please?

'Cocktail dress' is one of the options given for informal evenings, which is making me wonder how smartly people dress during the day, when just pottering round the ship. Any advice please?
Hi starryuk,

Please do not worry about day-time attire, you'll see people dressed in a wide range of clothes. From "country-club casual"/Marks and Spencer's best, to denim jeans, t-shirts and "sports" clothing. I suspect it is very much as you've experienced on P&O.

A "mini-break" will only give you a very small taste of what makes QM2 so special in many people's eyes. A transatlantic crossing will give you the full flavour.

There are photos of QM2's interiors, a "tour" of the ship, and pictures taken on cruises and crossings via the link below. I hope they help.

(I board QM2 again in a month's time :) )

Have the most wonderful time, Bon Voyage! :)

Edited by pepperrn

Hello Everyone,

We are trying out QM2 for the first time. I am excited to go onboard this famous ship, especially as I visited her predecessor when she was berthed in LA many years ago. I haven't sailed on a Cunard ship since 1969 when I was a child!!!!!

Up to now, we have always cruised on P and O, but could not resist a mini break on QM2 in November.

'Cocktail dress' is one of the options given for informal evenings, which is making me wonder how smartly people dress during the day, when just pottering round the ship.

Any advice please?

Whatever you wore on P and O during the day will be equally fine on Cunard. It's a holiday, not the Queen's Birthday Parade.

J

Pepperrn

Thank you for the advice and pics.

A "mini-break" will only give you a very small taste of what makes QM2 so special in many people's eyes. A transatlantic crossing will give you the full flavour.

Oh dear, I have just read a thread about these mini cruises:eek:. I hope it won't be a 'bad' taste. Never mind, I shall enjoy the ship no matter what.

Yes, a TA would be lovely...:) I love the sea days (if it is not too rough).

You didn't mention destinations of your voyage.

In my experience, daytime dress is also climate specific. In warm water, people wear (nice) shorts. Cooler weather and you see warmer--still casual--clothing.

How exciting for you to be anticipating a return to Cunard after so many years!

I hope you have a great time and do join "us" for a transatlantic sometime in the future. So many sea days in a row--with such good entertainment--is superb!

Bon Voyage !!!!!

Most people dress fairly nicely but there are still a minority in "pseudo-pajamas" i.e big white t-shirts (with or without writing on the front), sweats and sneakers/trainers, or maybe that's just gym wear.....but it's in the restaurant.....not the gym :(

Edited by juicyjuju

Daywear on board depends on your activities. If you are going to the pool area, and having lunch in Kings Court or the Broadwalk Café, attire is very casual. Alternatively, if you are going to the library, or attending lectures, and then having lunch in the MDR, the attire is different - obviously, due to the occasion and the environment.

I'm remembering one occasion where we had lunch in the main dining room. The maître d asked what size table we preferred, and we replied in the usual form:whatever is most convenient. We were sited at a table for 8, all dressed in various types of attire. One memorable couple was dressed in jogging suits, and showing signs of excessive perspiration. During the course of lunch, that couple spoke of their appreciation about being able to jog around the ship on the Promenade Deck which they did every day and immediately after completing their mile or so of jogging, they enjoyed lunch in the MDR. It was apparent that they wasted no time in showering and dressing for lunch, but not doubt their cardiovascular system looked beautiful!

Different strokes for different folks. But it general, it normally doesn't take a hill of brains to figure out what to wear and when during the day on QM2.

Cheers,

Salacia

Edited by Salacia