st marteen planes landing takeoff

Scuba

Anyone ever go to st marteen airport the edge of runway to see planes land and take off ? I seen videos and seems like a wild sight to see... Is it worth the trip to go see this from ship?

Actually, the place you would want to go is called Maho Beach. If you happen to be there when a large plane lands (or takes off) it is an interesting experience. Personally, there are other beaches on the island we prefer to spend our time, but Maho is something that many folks want to do at least once in their life. Some like to go there at about 1:30 to wait for the big aircraft that comes from Paris.

Hank

Anyone ever go to st marteen airport the edge of runway to see planes land and take off ? I seen videos and seems like a wild sight to see... Is it worth the trip to go see this from ship?

This may interest you. the Sunset bar is on Maho beach right at the end of the airport runway and the big jets go right over you. They post the flight schedules at the bar.

http://sunsetsxm.com/

Well worth it.

There'll be vans shuttling to Maho beach, and back to the ship from the bar on the right-hand side of the beach looking inland.

The little planes are no fun, they land well down the runway.

The big jets need every inch and arrive vaguely around noon to 2.30pm.

If you're gonna hang from the fence when they take off, be aware that as well as the wind, noise, smell & heat, the jets kick up a lot of grit

JB :)

Well worth it.

There'll be vans shuttling to Maho beach, and back to the ship from the bar on the right-hand side of the beach looking inland.

The little planes are no fun, they land well down the runway.

The big jets need every inch and arrive vaguely around noon to 2.30pm.

If you're gonna hang from the fence when they take off, be aware that as well as the wind, noise, smell & heat, the jets kick up a lot of grit

how long is van ride from ships port to Maho Beach ?

how long is van ride from ships port to Maho Beach ?

Since Maho is on the opposite side of Phillipsburg from the port, the transfer time is very dependent on traffic. But as a basic idea you can figure on 15-20 min.

Hank

Since Maho is on the opposite side of Phillipsburg from the port, the transfer time is very dependent on traffic. But as a basic idea you can figure on 15-20 min.

Hank

Yep, that's my recollection too. Though still on the Dutch side.

I also highly recommend seeing a few of these planes land and take off. Many of the large planes come in between 1 & 3pm. I do not recommend staying in the path of a plane's takeoff and being sandblasted which you will see others do.

There are plenty of taxis in the back of the Information Booth on the pier which will take you to Maho Beach. The more people in a taxi, the less money it will cost you. We have also taken Bernards tour many times and one of their stops is at Maho Beach.

http://www.bernardstours.com/

http://www.tripadvisor.com/Attraction_Review-g147346-d1840452-Reviews-Bernard_s_Tours-St_Maarten_St_Martin.html

Edited by Life is Good Cruising

Hank

Thank Youuuuuu

Once is enough but many go back several times.

I've been to St. Maarten before and can't believe we didn't do this. Will be going there on my next cruise in October. Since I work for an airline I want to get a pic of my airline's plane coming over lol.

I've been to St. Maarten before and can't believe we didn't do this. Will be going there on my next cruise in October. Since I work for an airline I want to get a pic of my airline's plane coming over lol.

Here is the flight schedule only for today. Once you know the day you'll arrive, then you can check the flight schedule for that day of the week.

http://sunsetsxm.com/index.php/about-us/flight-schedules

Enjoy!

Don't dare plan on making it back to the ship in 20 minutes....it's not going to happen especially if there is more than one ship in. There is a convergence of roads and Phillipsburg to cross between Maho Beach and the new cruise pier.

http://m.youtube.com/results?q=Airbus%20landing%2C%20filmed%20from%20Maho%20Beach%2C%20St.%20Maarten%20%20&sm=3

I filmed this back in 2012, it's a nice experience but it don't think that I will go back next year when we go back to St. Maarten.

Yikes, Kim!!!!! I don't know about that! Scarily exciting?! :)

Barbara