Hoping for a bargain on the Armonia in December

bobstheboy

The prices last year for the Canaries cruise in December were very cheap, particularly at the last minute. In preparation for a bargain this December, I have booked my flights to Tenerife for 5th - 19th, so if the prices are too good to miss, I have my flights booked. I see MSC are promoting this cruise and giving incentives but they still not as cheap as they were last year when a balcony could be had for £249 pp pw. If the prices don't meet my expectations there is always accommodation available in Los Cristianos !

Anyone else out there that does similar ?

The prices last year for the Canaries cruise in December were very cheap, particularly at the last minute. In preparation for a bargain this December, I have booked my flights to Tenerife for 5th - 19th, so if the prices are too good to miss, I have my flights booked. I see MSC are promoting this cruise and giving incentives but they still not as cheap as they were last year when a balcony could be had for £249 pp pw. If the prices don't meet my expectations there is always accommodation available in Los Cristianos !

Have been thinking along similar lines but for Jan-Mar! I want to wait until after my initial cruise on MSC so I can avail of club discount. Wife is concerned about weather and waves in the Atlantic in Jan-Mar.

Have been thinking along similar lines but for Jan-Mar! I want to wait until after my initial cruise on MSC so I can avail of club discount. Wife is concerned about weather and waves in the Atlantic in Jan-Mar.

Ken, I was on Fantasia in Nov 2011 to the Canaries - out of the 11 nights we had 2 rough ones. The following Feb on Splendida west Med we had 1 bad night. My dad has Meniers and we couldn't believe he managed to get thru them and still did another 3 cruises since! Mind you, he's on meds for the condition so that helped.

It was quite fun most of the time trying to walk the corridors without bumping or rolling into people. As for trying to play the slots while rocking back and forth on the seat :rolleyes:

I see MSC are promoting this cruise and giving incentives but they still not as cheap as they were last year when a balcony could be had for £249 pp pw.

I'd say MSC are hoping there'll be a take-up on the current offers before reducing the prices further. If you're not too concerned about having a specific cabin in a particular location you'd be right to wait and see.

Having said that, I've noticed that the sale prices for winter cruises overall are dearer than previous years. Also the "included drinks package" is usually the Cheers one which I would have no interest in and unfortunately MSC doesn't allow an upgrade to Allegrissimo for the difference.

I'd say MSC are hoping there'll be a take-up on the current offers before reducing the prices further. If you're not too concerned about having a specific cabin in a particular location you'd be right to wait and see.

Having said that, I've noticed that the sale prices for winter cruises overall are dearer than previous years. Also the "included drinks package" is usually the Cheers one which I would have no interest in and unfortunately MSC doesn't allow an upgrade to Allegrissimo for the difference.

I'm sure you are right that MSC are hoping for more early bookings than last year when some early cruises were only about two thirds full according to reports I have heard. The Cheers package is not for me either, it's got to be the Allegrissmo.

I'm confident that there will be last minute deals on the cruise I want, just before Xmas is always a good time for a bargain and as long as it is a balcony at a good price I am not worried where it is.

Ken, I was on Fantasia in Nov 2011 to the Canaries - out of the 11 nights we had 2 rough ones. The following Feb on Splendida west Med we had 1 bad night. My dad has Meniers and we couldn't believe he managed to get thru them and still did another 3 cruises since! Mind you, he's on meds for the condition so that helped.

It was quite fun most of the time trying to walk the corridors without bumping or rolling into people. As for trying to play the slots while rocking back and forth on the seat :rolleyes:

Hi Bea. Rocking no appeal to us at all!! Looking at Divina in Caribbean for January but airfares and times and connections a problem! It passes the time on this glorious bank holiday weekend!:-)

Hi Bea. Rocking no appeal to us at all!! Looking at Divina in Caribbean for January but airfares and times and connections a problem! It passes the time on this glorious bank holiday weekend!:-)

I'd really like to experience Divina as I've been on the other 3 ships in her class but I will NOT travel stateside despite the pre-clearance done this side of the pond. Been there, done that and resent being treated like a criminal by US.

I'm hoping to achieve Black clubcard level next April and will then look at Divina in the Med with 20% discount :D So glad she's spending next Summer in the Med. I like the itinerary, too.

Watch out for real bargains like this one I found in March

you have to read it carefully to notice that if you add flights on it becomes

£111 CHEAPER. So FREE flights and a 15% cut in the price

BARGAIN ( and it's 11 nights, less than £60 pppn)

Unfortunately it isn't that price any longer

But I have got an 11 night E med on Sinfonia in a balcony suite on deck 12 (that's the best cabins there are on the ship; with the Aurea experience, ie Allegrisimo + Spa session) in Nov for less than £70pppn. I've had to add on flights (£100pp return), so it's still less than £80 pppn for everything except grats.

ANOTHER BARGAIN!!!

Here's the first bargain i mentioned

cs1.jpg

Pete

pS the best bargain I ever saw was Lirica, march 2012, Dubai to Southampton 22 nights £199 , A oneway flight to Dubai would have cost £345

Total £544 less than £25pppn

Edited by Skier52

icon1.gifHoping for a bargain on the Armonia in December

I wish you good fortune with your "hoping for a bargain"

At the moment both cruises ( if you were thinking of B2B) are £599 for an inside with Bella (cruise only) that's over £85pppn; It'll have to come down along way to be the bargain you're wishing for, add on allegrissmo and it's over £108pppn

I'll keep everything crossed for you just in case it helps

It makes me feel good about my bargain above (Which has now gone UP in price)

armonia.jpg

Pete

pS It's £599 on 3 TA sites as well, so TAs are not cheaper than booking directly wih MSC

Edited by Skier52

Hi Skier

Thanks for your good wishes !

I see by your listings that you like cruising. It is our favourite holiday and have just had a count up and have done 26 on 8 different lines, MSC will be our 9th if it comes off.

As for bargains, they were are well below brochure price but the best has to be 28 nights on the Sunbird ( now with Thomsons). 14 nights form Majorca to Barbados and 14 nights around the Caribbean, AI £800 !! We also got the Norwegian Jade, 14nights from Southampton around the Med for £500, so I am used to bargain hunting.

I booked a one way flight to São Paulo, Brazil in anticipation of a cheap repositioning cruise on the Preziosa 15th March. Sadly, the fares started high and have since repeatedly increased. Then, the final straw, MSC stopped taking bookings for sole-occupancy. I have now cancelled the flight and made alternative holiday arrangements.

I get the impression that MSC are 'repositioning' themselves in the English-speaking markets as a more upmarket brand with far higher fares than before. They appear to be willing to take a short term hit as they lose many past customers - as evidenced by pulling out of all UK departures - with the expectation that they will acquire more well-heeled clientele over time.

The one exception appears to be the U.S.-oriented Divina as MSC are keen to break into the biggest cruise market of all.

In short, don't hold your breath. My feeling is that MSC would rather sail with empty cabins than compromise their new marketing strategy. Talk of cutting off one's nose to spite the face....

Edited by Skipper Tim

In short, don't hold your breath. My feeling is that MSC would rather sail with empty cabins than compromise their new marketing strategy. Talk of cutting off one's nose to spite the face....

If it comes off - great, if not we have a couple of weeks in Tenerife, in the sun, pre Xmas, so either way I won't be in tears !!

We booked this last week (Well we are sailing from Santa Cruz but prices are similar) for €359-We took a balcony upgrade bringing total cost to 1038 for the two of us.

I looked at many other sites including MSC sister sites TA etc and could not beat this.

I have no idea how to post a pic here so I will link to it instead.

Cruise.jpg.8f52201ec03b52ef13235778763ed95c.jpg

There are always bargains to be had - especially off-peak and particularly Wintertime so, if you're free and willing to travel at these times you will pick up some choice offers.

It can be very frustrating, though, to see a bargain being offered in one market and you can't avail of it :mad: This applies to all the cruiselines. (Although to read some comments on this forum you'd be forgiven for thinking this is only an MSC policy!) I know, for instance, of some Australians who are travelling in the Yacht Club on the Preziosa from Brazil next March for little more than I'm paying for a balcony cabin - I can't even get a quote for YC on that sailing and the Allegrissimo package is the Classic which will cost €35 pppd even though it's the same as the basic which will be €26 at the time of sailing.

We booked this last week (Well we are sailing from Santa Cruz but prices are similar) for €359-We took a balcony upgrade bringing total cost to 1038 for the two of us.

I looked at many other sites including MSC sister sites TA etc and could not beat this.

You need a third party hosting site, most are free, pesonally I use Photobucket. So if yopu haven't got an account sign up.

When you have an account you need to

1) select the image you want to post

2) left click in the box shown in the image below ( the box will momentarily turn yellow and say "copied"

aaa.jpg

3) place your cursor in the reply box where you want the image to appear and click once.

4) left click the icon which is a small yellow square with a mountain on it (sixth from the right just above the message box).

this will open a small text box; Don't do anything to it, but simply.................

5) press Ctrl and V on your key pad together ( PASTE COMMAND)

6) press Enter (or some keyboards say RETURN)

your image should then appear

Pete

Edited by Skier52

Here is an example of different prices for the same cruise. The first is quoted on the Ireland website; the second on the UK one. Note that the UK price is almost twice the price (at today's exchange rates):

NORTHERN EUROPE

Cruise: Germany, Netherlands

Nights: 4

Ship: MSC SPLENDIDA

Departing From: Hamburg, Germany

Boarding Date: Fri 01/05/2015

Price starting from

€ 169.00*

NORTHERN EUROPE

Cruise: Germany, Netherlands

Nights: 4

Ship: MSC SPLENDIDA

Departing From: Hamburg, Germany

Boarding Date: Fri 01/05/2015

Price starting from

£ 259,00*

Unfortunately I can't do what Pete does so I can't show the images from the actual websites.

It's much cheaper on the Irish site than on the UK site

irish site €359 (£286) less than half (47.7%) the UK price

armonia3.jpg

UK site £599 (€750)

Interestingly the Irish site doesn't have the 14 day B2B starting on the 6th Dec that the UK site has which at £719 (€901) is a tad more reasonable £51pppn (€64pppn) , still not cheap, as against the £85pppn (€107pppn)

armonia2.jpg

Pete

Edited by Skier52

I wouldn't book on the UK site at the current prices.

I always use a Travel Agent so it's their problem if I miss the boat (pardon the pun). However, they will only quote me the price that's on the MSC website anyway.

Interestingly the Irish site doesn't have the 14 day B2B starting on the 6th Dec that the UK site has which at £719 (€901) is a tad more reasonable £51pppn (€64pppn) , still not cheap, as against the £85pppn (€107pppn)

Pete

Nothing "interesting" about it at all, Pete. We just don't get the same access to MSC as the UK market does. Take Divina, for eg. The Med sailings have only just been added to the .ie site and her repos to and from Miami next year aren't available either. Yet Giles Hawke is head of UK & Ireland so you'd imagine they'd have the websites in tandem (although we use € so the prices would have to reflect that).

You'd think that if they want a certain number of English-speaking passengers on board on some sailings that the offers would be for both UK & Ire. Unless they've some notion that the Irish language is widely spoken here :D:D

I'm the first one hating weird price policies of MSC, mostly different prices among markets.

That being said, I also find it absurd when people complain just because they don't find bargains. Obviously, they can't live out of bargain prices forever.

If you are lucky enough to find a bargain good for you, if not just understand they have a business to keep, and chose something else.

Last year, Armonia was repositioned to the Canaries at short notice - due to the political situation in Egypt. A massive price reduction (I paid £282 for 2 weeks) was the only way the ship could be filled.

This year, the schedule is set well ahead so I think less chance of massive discounts. Still, MSC are often good for discounts so fingers crossed.

I could get an outside for the 14 nights for £479 pp. I want a balcony but am tempted.

I cannot name the company because it sells to the travel trade and some deals are available to "friends and family" of travel trade employees, and a good friend is such an employee. This price has only just been released so I am hoping a balcony deal will come later.

Looks like MSC are going down the add-ons and freebies route type of matketting

I got this today, no reduction in the basic price of £599, But, £100 OBC offered instead. I can only presume that is per cabin , it doesn't actually say

So presumably bookings are slow at the moment, bodes well for "bobstheboy" if they have to try other marketting strategies

armonia4.jpg

Pete

Edited by Skier52