Questions about lanyards & dining rooms.

Vacationdreamer<><

I never used to use a lanyard but bought one with lots of "bling" to use on the Royal since you use your cruise card in the slot by the door for cabin lighting. It makes it easier to see immediately whether it's in the slot or not. Now I use it on all my cruises.

I remember that lanyard! Sparkly! :)

Of course some people use a lanyard just to make sure everybody knows they are carrying a black card... :rolleyes:

I use a lanyard from my alma mater just to make sure that people know I'm a big-time smartypants with a degree from Hoity-Toity University. How else can I con people into letting me be on their trivia team, since I look more like a dumb blonde than Einstein reincarnate (I'll never forget in high school having one of the other girls in the AP English turn to me and say, "Oh, I didn't know you were one of the smart kids." It's amazing anyone gets out of high school alive. . . . well, amazing that she did.).

Edited by rdsqrl

I use a lanyard from my alma mater just to make sure that people know I'm a big-time smartypants with a degree from Hoity-Toity University. How else can I con people into letting me be on their trivia team, since I look more like a dumb blonde than Einstein reincarnate (I'll never forget in high school having one of the other girls in the AP English turn to me and say, "Oh, I didn't know you were one of the smart kids." It's amazing anyone gets out of high school alive. . . . well, amazing that she did.).

In my experience with the Princess trivia games, amount of formal education is a weak predictor of trivia game success. Most of the questions are pop culture, travel, etc, or literally "trivial" subjects. The winning teams USUALLY have a mixture of different nationalities (not just Americans) and ages AND are frequent Princess cruisers (since some of the same questions are asked almost every cruise). A good memory is the best asset, of course.

I had made a comment on my Facebook wall some months ago that my daughter was about to take her AP exams, one thing I didn't do in high school. One of the guys from my high school said, "I thought you were in a couple of my AP classes." I said, "Nope. Closest I came to an AP course was to talk to the AP World History teacher about taking his class." I guess I should consider it a compliment he thought I took a couple of those classes.

I use a lanyard from my alma mater just to make sure that people know I'm a big-time smartypants with a degree from Hoity-Toity University.

Well, get this. My team won the cumulative trans-Atlantic trivia challenge on the Royal's inaugural TA, and we won Super-Duper Yellow Commemorative Lanyards. Bow down, plebes!

Ooh' date=' you just gave me another reason (besides the higher cost) for not going on a Disney cruise. I would truly start screaming if I had to endure several days of listening to Disney music.[/quote']

It's a small world after all.

In my experience with the Princess trivia games, amount of formal education is a weak predictor of trivia game success. Most of the questions are pop culture, travel, etc, or literally "trivial" subjects. The winning teams USUALLY have a mixture of different nationalities (not just Americans) and ages AND are frequent Princess cruisers (since some of the same questions are asked almost every cruise). A good memory is the best asset, of course.

Agreed. I've been playing trivia competitions since college (I was a two-time national College Bowl all-star) and Princess's are not really designed to test knowledge. There are very few questions in academic subjects, for example. I think the reasons for this are basically three: given the mix of cruisers from different nations, it would be unfair to concentrate on, say, history, they don't want the same team to win all the time as that rapidly ceases to be fun for everyone else, and the dancers/cruise staff who put the quizzes together tend to cater to their own interests. The repeat of questions, while often decried, is another leveler.

I manage to muddle through and give some help to my teams, and we do OK unless there are those who taught curious twelve-year-olds, as such academics have much better credentials than mine.

Back in '74 we took our 2 sons to Disneyland! I still can't stand to hear that tune! :mad::eek:

I want a medallion card for my collection. I've never had one.

I didn't even know that I was Medallion until I wasn't one anymore! :o:eek: But I did call and demand my Medallion pin! :D And they sent me 2 pins for my DW & me! ;)

A keen sense of competition, an interest in the trivial and patience with fellow players are the key indicators of trivia game success. Despite lots of educatin', I possess NONE of these, and, except for Seinfeld trivia (which we won), I've never played.

Unless they come up with a new more exclusive level & color almost half the ship had the same thing so why bother. :p

Not in Alaska. On my recent cruise, blue cards FAR outnumbered those with any Captain's Circle level.

Not in Alaska. On my recent cruise, blue cards FAR outnumbered those with any Captain's Circle level.

Yes, I suppose there are some itineraries that the Elites do only a few times & move on. Alaska seems to be one that many people want to do at least once in their life. We notice that on a Panama canal trip that there weren't that many higher Elites. I'll bet the new Regal has some high numbered cruisers.

Heh. The only time I even noticed music was the rare time I walked alone on Deck 5. Simple conversation drowns it out otherwise. And it's all instrumental.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

A keen sense of competition, an interest in the trivial and patience with fellow players are the key indicators of trivia game success. Despite lots of educatin', I possess NONE of these, and, except for Seinfeld trivia (which we won), I've never played.

I'm not in the least patient with my fellow cruiser! If you blurt the hard-won answer out loud and broadcast it to adjacent teams, you will get a look from me!

I cruise regularly and never bother with lanyards. I have done over 22 cruises in the last 12 years with many long voyages of over 30 nights and have no desire to show off my status.

Some people wear them, some done. I have perfectly good pockets and find it more convenient to use a pocket.

Well, get this. My team won the cumulative trans-Atlantic trivia challenge on the Royal's inaugural TA, and we won Super-Duper Yellow Commemorative Lanyards. Bow down, plebes!

Congratulations on this most auspicious achievement! I am in awe of both you and your Yellow Commemorative Lanyard of Super-Duperness. Should we ever cruise together, I will approach you on my knees and humbly touch the hem of your garment -- but only after permission, of course.

Congratulations on this most auspicious achievement! I am in awe of both you and your Yellow Commemorative Lanyard of Super-Duperness. Should we ever cruise together, I will approach you on my knees and humbly touch the hem of your garment -- but only after permission, of course.

And I will indeed receive your fealty....but only on Formal Night.

I certainly appreciate everyone's answers' date=' but an extra thank you for this one!

I am going into this cruise fully expecting a different experience than the DCL one. And I don't see it as a "less than" experience that I know many DCL cruisers might suggest. This was SIGNIFICANTLY less expensive and if the videos and photos and reviews are truthful, it is a beautiful ship with lots of places to lounge and read. I can tell the staterooms are not as well-appointed as DCL, but we were barely in them except to sleep and there are only two of us sharing this one. (My DCL cruise found me, DH, and our six kids split across two staterooms.)

Thanks for spelling out the dining room set ups. We opted for 6PM dining and I'm going to try to dig out my reservation to see if I can tell any more info from it re: dining. I'm looking forward to 5 days of no cooking and NO DISHES. I'm no foodie, so I am sure I will be more than delighted with what is available for dinner.

Especially if I can get milkshakes and hot chocolate with the ultimate soda package. :o[/quote']

Yup - Princess is around half price than Disney and less frantic onboard. Showers are, shall we say, tight.... But the passion fruit souffle definitely beats the popcorn soup. Have a great trip!

Yup - Princess is around half price than Disney and less frantic onboard. Showers are, shall we say, tight.... But the passion fruit souffle definitely beats the popcorn soup. Have a great trip!

I kind of like frantic-ness. :p (I have 6 kids.;) )

But I LOVE 1/2 price and think passion fruit soufflé sounds yummy!!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums