Galley tour on Silhouette?

JustAGirl79

My boyfriend and I are cruising on Silhouette in January. He's never cruised before; I was on Millennium in August 2003. On that cruise, I vaguely recall having had a tour of the galley in a very large group. Is something like that offered on Silhouette? My boyfriend is a big foodie and would love to see the galley - but I don't really want to spring for the $150 ship tour/lunch package....

My boyfriend and I are cruising on Silhouette in January. He's never cruised before; I was on Millennium in August 2003. On that cruise, I vaguely recall having had a tour of the galley in a very large group. Is something like that offered on Silhouette? My boyfriend is a big foodie and would love to see the galley - but I don't really want to spring for the $150 ship tour/lunch package....

Yes they do. It's free.

Is there a standard day/time when it's offered? Presumably a sea day? Will we read about it in the daily?

On a sea day usually about 11:00 am. It will be advertised in Celebrity Today. Ships may handle the details differently, but is essentially the same on all ships.

Thanks everyone! He's going to love this.

Just an fyi, if he's a foodie he might get some entertainment out of the chef's showdown (not sure what it's exactly called) that they do on the same morning as the galley tour usually after or before. They have two of the ships chefs compete to prepare a dish for three contestants (picked from volounteer audience members) to decide a winner. Each chef is assisted by a passenger, also picked from the audience. It's a lot of laughs with lots of friendly bantering by the chefs and it all takes place in the theater. Check for it in the daily if it sounds like something you'd enjoy.

We enjoyed the galley tour we took on the Equinox this March. It was scheduled to happen at almost the same time as our CC connections party, so I asked the CD if they would schedule another tour. He said he'd get it set up.

The party need with time for us to only catch the final tour, but another tour was scheduled and I got to hear the QA segment at the beginning and get another tour of the galley. The tour may seem short to those not interested in food prep and the detail involved, but those interested will enjoy it greatly.

There is also a book that I believe is called "Excite The Senses". I picked it up at a discount at the MDR. It's a beautiful book, with many pictures and recipes. It's pretty dang heavy too! I was surprised this book existed, as I've never read about it on this board. While it didn't have the corn soup that my sweetie enjoyed in Blu it did have some other recipes I'll be trying in the coming months.

There were 2 galley tours on Eclipse during a 14-night Caribbean sailing we took last fall. The first was on Day 2 (at-sea) and was mid-morning. The second was a couple of days before the end (another at-sea). Both were listed in the daily schedule under "Celebrity Life," if I recall correctly. It was certainly a highlight for us.

Also, watch for a cooking demonstration (not a contest). On Eclipse, they brought chefs from Murano, Tuscan and Qsine to whip up some dishes from their menus. It was intended to showcase the Celebrity cook book, but the interaction between the chefs, plus some unscripted shenanigans made it the funniest show we saw on the trip. Everyone - audience, chefs, maitre d, CD - was in tears. Granted, some of the antics couldn't be duplicated, but the demo, itself, was very entertaining. It was held in Celebrity Central (the mini-theater), so it was very intimate.

Edited by HickoryShampoo

Just an fyi, if he's a foodie he might get some entertainment out of the chef's showdown (not sure what it's exactly called) that they do on the same morning as the galley tour usually after or before. They have two of the ships chefs compete to prepare a dish for three contestants (picked from volounteer audience members) to decide a winner. Each chef is assisted by a passenger, also picked from the audience. It's a lot of laughs with lots of friendly bantering by the chefs and it all takes place in the theater. Check for it in the daily if it sounds like something you'd enjoy.

When they did that on Reflection with us (December) they billed it as a contest between the two passengers selected, whom were "assisted" by the two chefs, and IIRC the head chef was the judge. I think the truth is, however, that it was closer to what you described -- the two chefs did the heavy lifting while the contestants went along for the ride. But everybody had a good time so what the heck.

When they did that on Reflection with us (December) they billed it as a contest between the two passengers selected, whom were "assisted" by the two chefs, and IIRC the head chef was the judge. I think the truth is, however, that it was closer to what you described -- the two chefs did the heavy lifting while the contestants went along for the ride. But everybody had a good time so what the heck.

Yes, I'm sure you're right and it's supposed to be a competition for the passengers but on our last cruise, one of the passengers chosen to participate didn't have cooking basics and the chef did all the work. Was def lots of fun tho and the smells from the cooking food was amazing...think we all headed to lunch right after that:D

I will definitely look for the cooking competition - as that's something we'd enjoy...he'd enjoy taking part. Me, not so much!

I'm sure he'll enjoy it, and they usually get women volunteering so they like to see a male with their hand up! Sit near the front of the theatre for a better chance to be chosen and have your camera ready! Enjoy!