Sailing into Miami, flying out of FLL

JediMom

Our flight options are 11:25am and 7:30pm.

Is the 11:25 flight too tight to get off the ship (docks at 8am), through customs and drive to FLL?? We're Canadians, but flying domestic to Buffalo.

We're doing this in February if that makes a difference.

Can you carry all of your bags off the ship? :confused:

For an 11:25 flight you need to be at FLL by about 10:00 (earlier is much better!); with a 40+ minute shuttle trip that means you need to be rolling from POM by about 9:00.

To ensure that you are off the ship and clear of customs by then I would self disembark with all of my bags and maybe consider an $80+ cab instead of a cheaper shared shuttle that may wiat to pick up other passengers.

Last Dec we did it with an 11:50am flight and the other family on MJS shuttle had a 10:30am flight we all made it. We caught our shuttle about 9am, we got off as soon as we could and the lines through customs were very short because we were some of the first off the boat. We got to FLL to earlier and had to wait 20 minutes to check our luggage. When you get to the security line and it is extra long, let the agents know your flight time so if its gets close they will move toward the front of the line.

Is the 11:25 flight too tight to get off the ship (docks at 8am), through customs and drive to FLL?? We're Canadians, but flying domestic to Buffalo.

I think the 11:25 flight would be ok if you fly out of Miami. Getting to Fll might be a close call. We recently got off a ship in Fll at 8am and by the time we got through customs which was a nightmare it was 10am. You would have to get yourselves to Fll by 10:25 for a 11:25 flight and checking in at the airport took a long time too. Of course this all depends on how many cruise ships are returning that day.

Is there any way you could fly out of Miami?

Are you returning on a weekend or weekday? It will always take longer on a weekday. You will also be leaving Miami which has less traffic than going into Miami. That is in your favor. I think there will be plenty of time if you take the shuttle even on a weekday. February won't really make a difference for travel time.

Can you carry all of your bags off the ship? :confused:

For an 11:25 flight you need to be at FLL by about 10:00 (earlier is much better!); with a 40+ minute shuttle trip that means you need to be rolling from POM by about 9:00.

To ensure that you are off the ship and clear of customs by then I would self disembark with all of my bags and maybe consider an $80+ cab instead of a cheaper shared shuttle that may wiat to pick up other passengers.

Did you price the cab ride? I haven't since we always drive back and forth from Ft. Lauderdale to Miami. We are 5 miles from the Ft. Lauderdale port. We have a friend take us to the ship, but always take a cab back. For that short distance cab fare and tip is $25.00. Maybe from Miami to Ft. Lauderdale they have a set fee? I don't know. If you are thinking of taking a cab I would definitely get a firm price.

Did you price the cab ride? I haven't since we always drive back and forth from Ft. Lauderdale to Miami. We are 5 miles from the Ft. Lauderdale port. We have a friend take us to the ship, but always take a cab back. For that short distance cab fare and tip is $25.00. Maybe from Miami to Ft. Lauderdale they have a set fee? I don't know. If you are thinking of taking a cab I would definitely get a firm price.

Cab fare between Miami and Ft Lauderdale is about $80

In that situation I'd definitely gamble on the 11:25 a.m. flight. I'm not waiting around 8 more hours if I don't have to.

Carry your bags off and schedule as early as possible with the shuttle. I think you'll be fine but realize that it is a tight window and definitely let the agent in the security line know you have an upcoming flight if time gets tight . . . they'll bump you in front.