Anyone Try to Cancel Hours After Booking?

VoyagerHS

If someone makes and pays for a booking for which there would normally be only a 50% refund by the time it is made, and then they want to cancel 20 hours after they have paid for it, would they still charge you 50% of the fare when you have just made the payment? They should at least give you a 24 hour grace period.

Has anyone tried this?

If someone makes and pays for a booking for which there would normally be only a 50% refund by the time it is made, and then they want to cancel 20 hours after they have paid for it, would they still charge you 50% of the fare when you have just made the payment? They should at least give you a 24 hour grace period.

Has anyone tried this?

Why should they give you 24 hours?

Has anyone tried this?

No I haven't but isn't there some regulation that says if you sign a contract online you get a cooling off period. Can't remember exactly but I think it's 7 days. If you sign a contract in person there is no cooling off period. Not sure if a holiday booking is a 'contract' in the same sense though I'm afraid.

This is in the UK incidentally.

Why should they give you 24 hours?

So if I pay them, say $5000 and an hour later I have an emergency and have to cancel, they should be awarded $2500 for a stateroom that will be booked immediately anyway (trust me it will)? I really find many business practices these days to be ....

No I haven't but isn't there some regulation that says if you sign a contract online you get a cooling off period. Can't remember exactly but I think it's 7 days. If you sign a contract in person there is no cooling off period. Not sure if a holiday booking is a 'contract' in the same sense though I'm afraid.

Yes, I wonder about these rules. Are they actually legally binding? Can they legally charge you $2500 for a payment you made an hour or 15 hours ago?

So if I pay them, say $5000 and an hour later I have an emergency and have to cancel, they should be awarded $2500 for a stateroom that will be booked immediately anyway (trust me it will)? I really find many business practices these days to be ....

What if the emergency happened 25 hours afterwards? A contract is a contract.

The amount charged as a cancellation penalty depends on how far in advance of the sail date the cancellation is made... for details see

http://www.cunard.com/legal-information/

Also quoted from that web page:

"You are not entitled to any refund, payment, compensation or credit except as otherwise provided in this Section. Any refunds will be made directly to Your credit card account or Your travel agent and You must receive Your refund directly from these sources. You may cancel by telephone or electronic advice via a Carrier-approved Computer Reservation System, provided Carrier immediately receives written confirmation of cancellation."

As MeridithFairfax mentioned previously, consumer protection laws vary by State/Country. If you made payment via credit card, perhaps your credit card company may be able to offer further advice. -S.

The amount charged as a cancellation penalty depends on how far in advance of the sail date the cancellation is made... for details see

http://www.cunard.com/legal-information/

Also quoted from that web page:

"You are not entitled to any refund, payment, compensation or credit except as otherwise provided in this Section. Any refunds will be made directly to Your credit card account or Your travel agent and You must receive Your refund directly from these sources. You may cancel by telephone or electronic advice via a Carrier-approved Computer Reservation System, provided Carrier immediately receives written confirmation of cancellation."

As MeridithFairfax mentioned previously, consumer protection laws vary by State/Country. If you made payment via credit card, perhaps your credit card company may be able to offer further advice. -S.

Thanks. It's just nice to know what your options are, even though it may not even come to that.

Yes, I wonder about these rules. Are they actually legally binding? Can they legally charge you $2500 for a payment you made an hour or 15 hours ago?

The consumer rule about buying online is called 'Distance Selling' and yes, in the UK it is legally binding. There is a seven day cooling off period. However, it is quite interesting what is covered and I'm not sure cruises would be covered. Package holidays and hotels accommodation for instance, aren't.

In the US, I think it's called the 'Cooling Off Rule' and generally has a three day period. To what extent it covers online purchases such as a cruise, you'd have to investigate.

The consumer rule about buying online is called 'Distance Selling' and yes, in the UK it is legally binding. There is a seven day cooling off period. However, it is quite interesting what is covered and I'm not sure cruises would be covered. Package holidays and hotels accommodation for instance, aren't.

In the US, I think it's called the 'Cooling Off Rule' and generally has a three day period. To what extent it covers online purchases such as a cruise, you'd have to investigate.

Apparently there is a 3 day Cooling Off Rule in the US, but I think it does not apply to online or telephone purchases.

This is an EU regulation (14 days), but unfortunataly it does not apply to travel arrangements.

Edited by cunardaddict

Maybe if the "emergency" is genuine then your insurance should cover it.

Apparently there is a 3 day Cooling-Off Rule in the US, but I think it does not apply to online or telephone purchases.

Voyager, you are correct: in the US, The Three Day Cooling-Off Rule does not apply if the purchase is made "entirely by mail, online, or telephone". Additional information about the Rule can be found here: http://www.usa.gov/topics/consumer/smart-shopping/home-shopping/3day-rule.shtml

State laws vary and may give consumers even more protection than the FCT Three-Day Cooling off Rule. -S.

Use a travel agent. Even on cruises that have to be booked "right now" we get a few days to make payment and change our minds if we are so inclined, while the cabin and price are both secured

Use a travel agent. Even on cruises that have to be booked "right now" we get a few days to make payment and change our minds if we are so inclined, while the cabin and price are both secured

I used to use a travel agent. She was great, and procured some really good deals for me. It was quite nice and convenient booking through her. She tragically passed away, so I guess I feel I just prefer to book directly now.

However, maybe I should reconsider one of these days. Having that extra time to make up your mind sounds good.

Edited by VoyagerHS

We have cancelled cruises many times, if we change our mind, well in advance of final payment, in the US that is not problem with cruises lines. Have not tried to do so with Cunard, would definitely ask before booking.

I don't think they should give a full refund. Booking a trip is not like a high pressure sales person or telemarketer came into your home. You would have had to review the itinerary, call an agent or log into a web site... in short a deliberate process initiated by you. You would certainly expect the cruise line to honor its end of the deal.

You gave the case of paying $5000, then an hour later you cancel for an emergency, so they shouldn't be "awarded" $2500 for a cabin they will re-sell. What kind of emergency can not get resolved before the sailing date? Unless you booked a really late last minute fare?

If that's what happened you have just learned the down side of late last minute, non-refundable deals. There are some great bargains out there for those who can travel last minute and are willing to take guarantee cabins. But the later you book the more money they want up front and the more money they keep if you cancel.

I'm presuming you opted not to take out travel insurance and/or it was too late to get it.

Or did you multiple book? You had the kennel question last week. Is the emergency that you cannot get your dog's paperwork in order before sailing?

Edited by BlueRiband

I don't think they should give a full refund. Booking a trip is not like a high pressure sales person or telemarketer came into your home. You would have had to review the itinerary, call an agent or log into a web site... in short a deliberate process initiated by you. You would certainly expect the cruise line to honor its end of the deal.

You gave the case of paying $5000, then an hour later you cancel for an emergency, so they shouldn't be "awarded" $2500 for a cabin they will re-sell. What kind of emergency can not get resolved before the sailing date? Unless you booked a really late last minute fare?

If that's what happened you have just learned the down side of late last

minute, non-refundable deals. There are some great bargains out there for those who can travel last minute and are willing to take guarantee cabins. But the later you book the more money they want up front and the more money they keep if you cancel.

I'm presuming you opted not to take out travel insurance and/or it was too late to get it.

Or did you multiple book? You had the kennel question last week. Is the emergency that you cannot get your dog's paperwork in order before sailing?

BlueRiband, thank you for your reference of the previous post from VoyagerHs. As far as I am concerned, the OP can go fish.

The OP stated that she had booked kennel space for her dog, and that must be done long in advance. So why the question about cancelling a booking within hours? We try to be helpful and reply to legitimate queries, but I find it disheartening when this forum is mistaken for a bunch of fools.

-S

Edited by Salacia

The OP had originally booked a longer period on the other side (I'm unsure about whether a return had been booked) and only recently decided to shorten the amount of time or just do a B2B.

Not a B2B. Four days on shore.

"I'm talking about 8 days there, 4 nights in Southampton or London, and then 7 days back to NY. At least they would have the 4 days to rest and run around, but..." quoted from http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2079309

Edited by Salacia

I used to use a travel agent. She was great, and procured some really good deals for me. It was quite nice and convenient booking through her. She tragically passed away, so I guess I feel I just prefer to book directly now.

However, maybe I should reconsider one of these days. Having that extra time to make up your mind sounds good.

e-mail me at maricich@msn.com

Here's how I see it. The OP had a crossing booked with her dog. The plans for the extended stay in the UK changed. She couldn't get a refund so she decided to do a R/T crossing with a 4 day stay in the UK. She booked the return crossing after deciding that her dog would do okay on the R/T.

Right after she booked the return crossing.....for whatever reason......changed her mind. Now she was hoping to at least get a refund for the return crossing.

How'd I do???