Transfer from the port of Amalfi to Sorrento

midwestchick

What is the best way to get to Sorrento from Amalfi on your own? I just realized the day I'd planned on spending in Sorrento is on a Sunday so many of the shops will not be open.

I'm trying to rearrange our schedule. Also, how long does it take to get to Sorrento from Amalfi and vice versa? We're only in port 8 hours that day and I want to have enough time to enjoy Sorrento.

Depends on when you are going to be there and how many people are in your party. I'd recommend a car service or taxi. We used a taxi driver. Depending on how busy they are, it could be fairly reasonable. I recall it was about 150 euros for six of us last August to go from Amalfi to Sorento. I'd allow at least an hour. Depends on traffic on the coast.

The bus ride (SITA) takes too long IMO although it runs a lot; it is about 1 hour and 40 minutes. The ferry, which does not run much, takes about an hour. If the times are right for you, this would be a lovely boat ride.

In May, six of us hired a speedboat with Captain for the day from Amalfi and went to Capri for a few hours and back again. The 50-mile trip was gorgeous.

Edited by CintiPam

The bus ride (SITA) takes too long IMO although it runs a lot; it is about 1 hour and 40 minutes. The ferry, which does not run much, takes about an hour. If the times are right for you, this would be a lovely boat ride.

In May, six of us hired a speedboat with Captain for the day from Amalfi and went to Capri for a few hours and back again. The 50-mile trip was gorgeous.

I'll look and see if I can find the ferry schedule. We will be there in Sept. on a weekday. I love the boat rides along the Amalfi Coast...have done them before. You're right...the bus takes too long and we are only in port 8 hours that day. It seems like a very short port day for ACC. :confused:

Tommycputts....since it's just the 2 of us, we do not want to hire a private driver...far too expensive.

Its kind of funny because most folks who stay in Sorrento are always looking for ways to get out of Sorrento to places like Positano and Amalfi. Your best bet is going to be by car, which will take a little over an hour each way. Since you have ruled out a car/driver you really have no options other then the SITA bus...which is not very practical since it would take about 1:40 each way (sometimes longer). And there is a risk with the SITA bus that a bus could be totally full. I am not aware of any rental car offices in Sorrento (this would be your lowest cost and fastest option).

Hank

I'll look and see if I can find the ferry schedule. We will be there in Sept. on a weekday. I love the boat rides along the Amalfi Coast...have done them before. You're right...the bus takes too long and we are only in port 8 hours that day. It seems like a very short port day for ACC. :confused:

Tommycputts....since it's just the 2 of us, we do not want to hire a private driver...far too expensive.

We used Johnny Maresca (sp.?) for our driver--it was about $250 or so for the 2 of us. The van was on time, clean, and air-conditioned. That's about as cheap as it may get, but you're there and who knows when you'll be back......We did Amalfi, Ravello and Positano with a lunch stop halfway to heaven from Positano....La T----something or oher--where they just brought out food--and the absolute best mozzarella you'll ever eat.

I would absolutely NOT take a bus or drive yourself--the roads are very winding and very narrow. When we went, 2 busses sideswiped each other and we were stuck for an hour....The driver knows what's going on and can take other roads--we took the fwy back to the ship....Hope this helps.

Edited by 24butterfly

We used Johnny Maresca (sp.?) for our driver--it was about $250 or so for the 2 of us. The van was on time, clean, and air-conditioned. That's about as cheap as it may get, but you're there and who knows when you'll be back......We did Amalfi, Ravello and Positano with a lunch stop halfway to heaven from Positano....La T----something or oher--where they just brought out food--and the absolute best mozzarella you'll ever eat.

I would absolutely NOT take a bus or drive yourself--the roads are very winding and very narrow. When we went, 2 busses sideswiped each other and we were stuck for an hour....The driver knows what's going on and can take other roads--we took the fwy back to the ship....Hope this helps.

We've been there before and I'm trying to switch a DIY with another tour and really wanted to get back to Sorrento....I'm on a shopping mission. ;) :D

I would not hesitate about the $250 for the two of us for the full day to those towns but we have done that before and may be revisiting Ravello and Positano again.

Bus is out of the question.

I'm trying to figure out the hydrofoil schedule.

Has anyone used this for transportation?

I'm trying to figure out the hydrofoil schedule.

Has anyone used this for transportation?

I've found only schedules ending on 13th September 2014 - which is insufficient for me (and perhaps for you either) as I'd like to go back to Amalfi from Salerno on 18th September in the afternoon.

http://www.ravellotime.it/public/orari/Collegamenti%20marittimi%20TRAVELMAR.pdf

Perhaps you've found something better?

Reading one of the posts got me thinking. We have driven the Amalfi Drive many times (having spent two 1 week vacations not far from Positano) and did not find driving this road to be very challenging. It looks a lot worse from a bus then it is when you are driving a car. In fact, with all the times we have driven on this road (day and night) we have never seen a serious accident. And yes, "bus standoffs" do happen in a few spots (especially near Positano) where the tight curves and parked cars (along side of the road) can make it impossible for two large tour buses to get passed each other. When this happens it can become quite comical as you might get a few Italians out on the road waving wildly (in different directions) as too many people try to move traffic so they can get 1 bus to back up.

But none of this is relevant for the OP because, as we said earlier, to the best of our knowledge there are no rental car agencies in (or near) Amalfi.

Hank

Edited by Hlitner

I have found ferry timetables from Amalfi to both Positano and Capri, but none from Amalfi to Sorrento.

That's what I've found too.

gcmv...no problem...easy to do.

Hlitner...we are only in port 6 hours that day so even if a rental car was available, it wouldn't give us a lot of time.

We've been on that drive before. It does seem rather undaunting when you're up on top.

I've driven through Rocky Mountain National Park so I could probably handle it. ;)

That's what I've found too.

gcmv...no problem...easy to do.

Hlitner...we are only in port 6 hours that day so even if a rental car was available, it wouldn't give us a lot of time.

We've been on that drive before. It does seem rather undaunting when you're up on top.

I've driven through Rocky Mountain National Park so I could probably handle it. ;)

You were very specific on wanting to go to Sorrento, so we never mentioned other options. We assume you have a reason to visit Sorrento (our least favorite place on the entire coast). But given your time we would probably recommend just going up to Ravello. If you are hikers there are options from that city (including hiking all the way back to Amalfi). Short port days can really make life difficult when you try to go afar...or do too many things.

Hank

You were very specific on wanting to go to Sorrento, so we never mentioned other options. We assume you have a reason to visit Sorrento (our least favorite place on the entire coast). But given your time we would probably recommend just going up to Ravello. If you are hikers there are options from that city (including hiking all the way back to Amalfi). Short port days can really make life difficult when you try to go afar...or do too many things.

Hank

Yes, I was specific about Sorrento and that is where I would like to spend some more time. What I meant was there really isn't enough time for us to bother renting a car, IF that were an option as a means to get us to Sorrento. We are definitely not hikers.

Curious...why is Sorrento your least favorite port?

I'm trying to juggle this short day around so we can share another tour to Ravello, Positano, Amalfi and the coast and our original plan for the day of the tour was to do Sorrento on our own and just take a laid back, slow day. I know it probably sounds a little confusing. :confused:

Edited by midwestchick