Cruising Caribbean to Adriatic ... some questions

G'day, folks!

We've just signed up to another cruise (addictive, aren't they) ... a 'Grand Voyage' in April '15.

It starts in Dominican Republic, spends a week or so sailing around the Caribbean, then across the Atlantic via Portugal, Spain, Malta, Greece, the former Yugoslavia, and ending up in Venice toward the end of the month.

It's a 25 night repositioning cruise - and at $1400pp for a balcony, we just can't resist.

So what I'm asking is

(A) Does anyone have experience with MSC and

(B) has anyone done a trans-Atlantic sail like this in April?

We already know that there will be lots of extras on board (no free water or coffee, $8/day per pax for tips, charges for ship transfers, etc) and that the European style of sailing is ... different to the US/Aus style ... but are there any traps for young players that we should know about?

Also, I'm assuming that the weather in the Caribbean in April will be warm, and in the Med should also be warm (ish) ... but that it will be cool in the Adriatic, and quite cold in the Southern Atlantic at that time of year?

Cheers!

GraC

(I'll also post this in the MSC boards - but I'm hoping that others may see this here ...)

April is a lovely time to cruise the Med. it is not very crowded and the weather is very nice, not too hot.

Haven't cruised MSC, you should look at the MSC boards at Cruise Critic and see what people have to say.

$1,400 is a terrific deal for such a long cruise, have a great voyage.

Have you seen this review of the MSC Divina, from Cruise Critic Eroller, well written and great pictures link too.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2021974

Jonathan

Edited by cruiserking

I've done two early transAtlantics, and if you have a starboard side balcony, you should have nice sun, but it might be a bit windy. The South Atlantic you will be sailing through will not be 'quite cool'. Divina practices were somewhat 'Americanized' for her season here, and there was free water and coffee in MDR. She is a beautiful ship. Suspect they will not revert to European style until she is back in the Med. EM