Do the ships offer excursions for Huatulco?

dongordon

Princess no longer is calling on Huatulco but then they did, shore excursions were offered. We considered one of the catamaran sails offered by the ship ... but decided to go to the beach right there both times.

Feel sure your cruise line will offer excursions there.

Nice port stop for water lovers .... Expect to have a great time! :D

LuLu

Do the cruise ships offer excursions in Huatulco or must I look for a private tour?

I would love a Beach Tour / Party Boat Tour. :)

Don

I see you are on the NCL Star in January. I am on the Pearl this October. If you log into myNCL you can see the offered excursions. For my crusie, NCL is offering 18 excursions for Huatulco. You can also explore on your own as there is a beach right their at the port.

On our Celebrity cruise they did offer a few excursions, but we did not hear anything positive from crusiers who took excursions. I recall the most popular was simply taking folks into town and driving them around the region. Since we were there on a Sunday, most of the shops in the small city were closed. There were also taxis at the port terminal who offered trips into the nearby city for a lot less then the excursion cost.

But keep in mind that the infrastructure near the port is quite good. There is a small shopping area (on the way to the nearby beach) and some cafes/restaurants. The tourist industry in this part of Mexico is primarily about the very good weather, beaches, and sea. They might have some kind of excursion that takes you to see some of the regions "ruins" but we think this stuff is underwhelming. Use this port as a beach/lunch stop and you should be happy. Try to turn it into something more then it is and you will be disappointed.

We also noticed that the port was quite popular with the crew. Even with a few hours off, they could easily get to the beach...which is where we saw a lot of crew.

Hank

If you want a beach you can simply walk from the pier over to a nice beach (where they also have some pretty decent food and drinks). The cost of this walk is zero!

Hank

Hank...Thanks for the information.

Is the beach near the pier really nice or are there nicer beaches in Huatulco that I might find better? I may make the pier beach a stop on my way back to the ship and have some Tequila beverages before I board. My last Mexican Riviera cruise (30 years ago), getting up the gang plank in each port was a challenge! :D

Don

Hank...Thanks for the information.

Is the beach near the pier really nice or are there nicer beaches in Huatulco that I might find better? I may make the pier beach a stop on my way back to the ship and have some Tequila beverages before I board. My last Mexican Riviera cruise (30 years ago), getting up the gang plank in each port was a challenge! :D

Don

The beach near the pier is pretty decent, although there are some nicer beaches in the region (reachable by taxi or tour). In our case we thought the convenience outweighed other issues. I think one could wait until they get to the port and then make their own decision. There was no shortage of taxis that would take cruisers on tours or to other beaches. Given the small number of cruises that stop at this port we were surprised that their tourist infrastructure was so well developed.

Hank

Playa la Entrega is another beach--it is on the left in a cove as you head toward the dock. If the cruise ship docks without turning around, the water may be pretty clear allowing good snorkeling in a roped off area. There are lots of restaurants and chairs and umbrellas to rent, etc. It is about $5 each way by cab and probably at least $5 per person each way by water taxi.