What Carnival & Royal ships are equals?

BLAMBKY

Sorry - let's be real here.

You guys talk like Carnival is Holland America or something. How in the World can you say RCI is like an amusement park or a land based vacation and not say the same thing about Carnival with all the things Carnival is adding - like massive waterslides, 4D theaters, ropes courses, etc?

By the way, all those things you mentioned about RCI, other than the rock wall, do not exist on 3 classes of RCI ships, yet aren't waterslides on or being added to every single one of CCL's ship classes?

You can't act like Spirit Class is so nice and so much like "being at sea" and not say the exact same thing about Radiance or Vision Class. Likewise, you can't say Oasis or Freedom Class is like an amusement park and not say the same thing about Dream Class.

Not to let this become a RCI vs CCL thread but it is all based on opinion!! Just because one says oasis and freedom of the seas are the best thing since slice bread or that the breeze is the best ship at sea doesn't make it true, it is our opinions. People here shouldn't degrade somebody for there opinions. However I could make an argument that the breeze is comparable to freedom of the seas. Then again that would only be my opinion.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Not to let this become a RCI vs CCL thread but it is all based on opinion!!

I get the opinion thing. But again, let's be real. Is it really someone's opinion that a rock wall and Flowrider equates to a floating amusement park, but a ropes course and waterslide doesn't? See what I mean? It would be like saying it's my opinion that Carnival ships float better than other cruise lines. It just doesn't make sense.

I get the opinion thing. But again, let's be real. Is it really someone's opinion that a rock wall and Flowrider equates to a floating amusement park, but a ropes course and waterslide doesn't? See what I mean? It would be like saying it's my opinion that Carnival ships float better than other cruise lines. It just doesn't make sense.

You can find a rock climbing wall, a Flowrider, a ropes course and a waterslide at an amusement park.

People love amusement parks and they also love cruising. There's nothing wrong with being able to do both, at once.

That said, in answer to the OP's specific question about Carnival ships in the same class as FOS, there is none.

FOS - 154,000 tons

Dream class - 128,000 tons 17% smaller

Conquest class - 110,000 tons 29% smaller

Sunshine - 101,000 tons 35% smaller

Sorry - let's be real here.

You guys talk like Carnival is Holland America or something. How in the World can you say RCI is like an amusement park or a land based vacation and not say the same thing about Carnival with all the things Carnival is adding - like massive waterslides, 4D theaters, ropes courses, etc?

By the way, all those things you mentioned about RCI, other than the rock wall, do not exist on 3 classes of RCI ships, yet aren't waterslides on or being added to every single one of CCL's ship classes?

You can't act like Spirit Class is so nice and so much like "being at sea" and not say the exact same thing about Radiance or Vision Class. Likewise, you can't say Oasis or Freedom Class is like an amusement park and not say the same thing about Dream Class.

First of all, I never said anything about Holland America...you pulled that one out of thin air.

Next, the OP asked which Carnival ships are comparable to FREEDOM OF THE SEAS. I didn't think we were talking about the "3 classes of RCI ships" that don't have the amenities I mentioned. Having sailed on LIBERTY OF THE SEAS and the BREEZE – which are the only two classes remotely similar (and that's a stretch) – all I can say is that the BREEZE gave me more of a cruise experience, and more of a connection with the sea. The LIBERTY OF THE SEAS, which was also a great experience, felt more like I was at a land-based resort instead of on a ship.

If your experiences were different, I guess your opinion will obviously be different. Doesn't me I'm right and you're wrong...or vice-versa.

People love amusement parks and they also love cruising. There's nothing wrong with being able to do both, at once.

That said, in answer to the OP's specific question about Carnival ships in the same class as FOS, there is none.

FOS - 154,000 tons

Dream class - 128,000 tons 17% smaller

Conquest class - 110,000 tons 29% smaller

Sunshine - 101,000 tons 35% smaller

I don't like amusement parks on land sure as heck don't like them on the water. Royal has earned the amusement park tag and have been progressing steadily down that path for many years. I think I can make the case that quantum has double digit "rides" on it. Not my cup of tea.

For the record, bigger is not better either in my book.

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app from my IPhone

Edited by jimbo5544

Next, the OP asked which Carnival ships are comparable to FREEDOM OF THE SEAS. I didn't think we were talking about the "3 classes of RCI ships" that don't have the amenities I mentioned. Having sailed on LIBERTY OF THE SEAS and the BREEZE – which are the only two classes remotely similar (and that's a stretch) – all I can say is that the BREEZE gave me more of a cruise experience, and more of a connection with the sea. The LIBERTY OF THE SEAS, which was also a great experience, felt more like I was at a land-based resort instead of on a ship.

Then why did you mention zip lines if you were speaking specifically about LIBERTY OF THE SEAS. Come on, that's not what you were saying and you know it. The paragraph of yours that I quoted was a generality you were making about the 2 cruise lines, not 2 specific ships.

So then, why do you cruise Breeze over and over and over?:confused:

Surely not for ropes course or 4d theater or the slides. I think the Breeze is a much better value and the best ship in the fleet. Bead my review of the oasis to get my thoughts on that ship.

Why. Is it hard to believe that people want a cruise vacation to be a cruise vacation and not a trip to Disney or six flags?

Why. Is it hard to believe that people want a cruise vacation to be a cruise vacation and not a trip to Disney or six flags?

It isn't and by asking that question, you're indicating you didn't get the point I was making. Either that, or you're trying to change my context.

The point I made was, it makes no sense to put a title on another line, used in a derogatory manner, when the line of your choice does the exact same thing.

For the record, I love the Breeze also. It's my favorite CCL ship and it renewed my faith in Carnival. But if I'm going to call, say, Freedom of the Seas an amusement park, I'm going to also say Breeze is an amusement park because they both have amusement park type amenities on board.

Edited by Cruzaholic41

It isn't and by asking that question, you're indicating you didn't get the point I was making. Either that, or you're trying to change my context.

The point I made was, it makes no sense to put a title on another line, used in a derogatory manner, when the line of your choice does the exact same thing.

For the record, I love the Breeze also. It's my favorite CCL ship and it renewed my faith in Carnival. But if I'm going to call, say, Freedom of the Seas an amusement park, I'm going to also say Breeze is an amusement park because they both have amusement park type amenities on board.

So by that you mean you agree the breeze is comparable to freedom of the seas? Like the op was asking? ;)

I did not bring up the subject. I was referencing a past post. I guess you missed point. I don't sal Breeze because of the ropes course or the other 3. Likewise I will never sail quantum for this and other reasons. I sail to cruise and explore places. Rides don't cut it. Double digit rides on a ship less so. They are going for the people that want that.

I did not bring up the subject. I was referencing a past post. I guess you missed point. I don't sal Breeze because of the ropes course or the other 3. Likewise I will never sail quantum for this and other reasons. I sail to cruise and explore places. Rides don't cut it. Double digit rides on a ship less so. They are going for the people that want that.

I see you still don't get my point - and I do recall a similar conversation with you recently that was very similar, so rather than going down the road of wanting to bang my head against a wall again, I'll just bow out. Enjoy your Breeze cruise. Just, do yourself a favor and stay far away from the amusement park up on the Lido. ;)

Edited by Cruzaholic41

So by that you mean you agree the breeze is comparable to freedom of the seas? Like the op was asking? ;)

The title of the thread is which Carnival ships are equals of FOS. The simple answer is: none of them.

If you want to compare them feature for feature, sure there are similarities between almost any cruise ship.

The title of the thread is which Carnival ships are equals of FOS. The simple answer is: none of them.

If you want to compare them feature for feature, sure there are similarities between almost any cruise ship.

I know you are the authority when it comes to where carnival falls short. However this is your opinion only. Just the same if somebody says there is no royal ship that equals a Norwegian ship. It is all opinions.

Many more similarities than differences.

Many more similarities than differences.

Of course, but equal to FOS, no. Now, if the OP had asked about NOS, it would be the Dream class.

I know you are the authority when it comes to where carnival falls short. However this is your opinion only. Just the same if somebody says there is no royal ship that equals a Norwegian ship. It is all opinions.

Don't let your feelings of inadequacy muddy the OPs very clear question.

Did not mean to open a can of worms.....all that aside, thanks for the input. I liked that there was a lot to do on FOS but did not know if Sunshine or Liberty would compare. I guess now I know that for what I enjoy, I probably need to keep a watch for Dream, Breeze and Miracle (newer ships?) Thanks!

No Carnival ships have ice rinks, rock climbing walls and flowriders.

However the Carnival Breeze has a similar passenger base and size.

Quite like the FOS she also has things like:

- Adults area (Serenity)

- Water park

-Sky rope course

-4D Cinema

-Red frog pub

- 3+ restaurants and Guy's burgers

- Sports area etc

There is also the Sunshine which is smaller but has all of Carnival's bells and whistles on board (except the cinema) and the Dream and Magic (not the Miracle although shes great it seems) which are the same size as the Breeze with slightly less stuff.

Edited by Velvetwater

Did not mean to open a can of worms.....all that aside, thanks for the input. I liked that there was a lot to do on FOS but did not know if Sunshine or Liberty would compare. I guess now I know that for what I enjoy, I probably need to keep a watch for Dream, Breeze and Miracle (newer ships?) Thanks!

You can do a comparison using royal and carnivals websites. Dont pay any attention to us. Lol when it comes to amenities breeze, dream, and magic would have most in similarity with fos. With the breeze having more aince it is newer and has 2.0 uogrades like guys burgers and it has a 4d movie theather. Sunshine also has a lot of the same amenities as the breeze and the new decor and waterworks. It is just smaller then the breeze.

Then why did you mention zip lines if you were speaking specifically about LIBERTY OF THE SEAS.

I wasn't speaking specifically about LIBERTY OF THE SEAS, I was speaking of the types of things that some RCI ships have that make the experience similar to a land-based vacation. I didn't mention LOTS until a fews posts later.

If you want to read more into it, well, that's your sticky wicket, not mine.