Cellar Master Package - opinions?

Vineyard View

I am looking at the Cellar Master Package and wondering if anyone has purchased this and would recommend it? It states 'a premium wine tasting experience is available throughout your cruise'......how does this work?

We like good wines, and this has peaked my interest. On the other hand we could buy wines in port and pay corkage fees. Thank you

Can be a bit of a rip-off for no and low-status. You have to know what the wines are in advance and you can't. Focus is generally on U.S. wines. If you can buy good wines at your local port, it may be a better bet and you get to choose what you want.

The game changes somewhat for 3* who get 25% off (but pay service charge on full price) and even better for 4 & 5* who get 50% off (but still SC on 100%).

On my last HAL cruise 2 years ago, nothing caught my eye but I had over a case of wine. We drank a lot of Brunello de Montalcino that I had bought (gave HAL some $250 in corkage). One of the bottles I bought was, with corkage, less than 1/2 what HAL wanted, before service charge.

Well according to our TA if 2 sign up you have 2 wine tastings, 5 bottles of wine that are chosen not by you, PG dinner, commemorative HAL bottle of wine.

We did the math and for us we would rather have the opportunity to choose our own wine and pay for PG. Clearly this works for some or it wouldn't be offered.

That said, if anyone knows differently from this we are sure open to more info.

Well according to our TA if 2 sign up you have 2 wine tastings, 5 bottles of wine that are chosen not by you, PG dinner, commemorative HAL bottle of wine.

We did the math and for us we would rather have the opportunity to choose our own wine and pay for PG. Clearly this works for some or it wouldn't be offered.

That said, if anyone knows differently from this we are sure open to more info.

The 5 bottles of wine are your choice and are from the Navigators' pack on board. The last I heard, there was a commemorative wine gift, not an additional bottle of wine.

It is fair value for anyone who is below 3* status. After that you have to look at the numbers since wine packages and PG dinners are discounted and 1 wine tasting is free for 4*

Edited by kazu

We bought this package on our 11 night Med cruise last year.

It included 5 bottles of wine that we selected from a list in the MDR each night we wanted a bottle of wine with dinner. There was also a bottle of wine in our cabin (selected for us).

We also got a gift (wine charms).

It included 2 dinners at the Pinnacle, and we had no problem making reservations once we boarded.

The package included 3 wine tastings that were priced at $15, $25 and $35 per person if paid separately. They were very enjoyable.

We are only 2 star mariners, so no discount for us. It was a splurge as it cost over $300, not sure if we would do it again, but we did enjoy it.

I thought about it one time, too, but I was told here on CC that there was no discount for 3, 4, or 5 stars. If I had to pay full price there was no benefit at all. We stick with the wine packages, and book our own PG dinners and get our discount! :)

Thanks for all the input. I have removed this package from my list of ideas! The Brunello de Montalcino sounds like the perfect wine to take on board. We had some in Italy and every once in a while here in CA, but finding it in Athens may be tricky!