Dawn Aft penthouse 8670

bbryan5

Just to update my previous thread, I went ahead and booked aft facing penthouse suite 8670 on the dawn. I really wanted to try an aft suite, as we have never done one before. I think decks 9-10 have bigger balconies, and I also understand that my cabin will be above the spinnaker lounge. Unfortunately the only aft penthouse suites that were available for my sailing were on the 8th deck. I'm not worried about the noise from spinnaker, as we tend to stay up till at least 2am when on vacation. We have done ncl balconies before, and even a mini suite, but this will be our first real penthouse suite. I see that the aft penthouse balconies on deck 8 look smaller than those balconies in similar cabins on higher decks. I was wondering, is the balcony in my room at least going to be noticeably bigger than mini suites and regular balcony rooms? This is for my honeymoon, and I just want everything to be perfect. I could really use some reassurance from you all. I joined cruisedeckplans.com but of course as my luck would have it, there's only 4 small pictures of cabin 8670 and they are poor quality, and not much help. If anyone has any insight about this room, pictures, videos, etc.. I would GREATLY appreciate it! Thanks so much!

Just to update my previous thread, I went ahead and booked aft facing penthouse suite 8670 on the dawn. I really wanted to try an aft suite, as we have never done one before. I think decks 9-10 have bigger balconies, and I also understand that my cabin will be above the spinnaker lounge. Unfortunately the only aft penthouse suites that were available for my sailing were on the 8th deck. I'm not worried about the noise from spinnaker, as we tend to stay up till at least 2am when on vacation. We have done ncl balconies before, and even a mini suite, but this will be our first real penthouse suite. I see that the aft penthouse balconies on deck 8 look smaller than those balconies in similar cabins on higher decks. I was wondering, is the balcony in my room at least going to be noticeably bigger than mini suites and regular balcony rooms? This is for my honeymoon, and I just want everything to be perfect. I could really use some reassurance from you all. I joined cruisedeckplans.com but of course as my luck would have it, there's only 4 small pictures of cabin 8670 and they are poor quality, and not much help. If anyone has any insight about this room, pictures, videos, etc.. I would GREATLY appreciate it! Thanks so much!

You will love your choice. Remember to go to Cagney's for breakfast. It is a perk of being in the suite.

The view from and aft room is the best. Enjoy.

I have not seen mini suite or regular balcony but we cruised with friends who had that suite and the balcony was great! Very private... great for relaxing w 2 really nice lounge chairs with cushions, and a small table between for a book, a snack, a drink. Not a whole lot of "walking around" room but more than adequate. I think balcony is 78 sq ft (we've been doing a lot of comparison shopping lately LOL ).... It was longer than it was wide... and I believe they had the "wraparound". Bottom line you will not be disappointed!!!

Sent from my KFSOWI using Tapatalk

Edited by welove2cruise2014

We are in 9736 for a 2nd aft balcony visit on the Dawn. Believe everything you read about once you have gone aft, you will never go back. Aft balconies let you fall asleep at 1 AM on your chaise lounge as the sea passes. Breakfast on the balcony during sea days with zero wind. Best view when in port. Oh, and by the way enjoy some apps that you worked out with the butler for happy hour on the balcony.

Could I ask if you'll be sailing during busy times, i.e. school vacations? I've got a few suggestions to make your honeymoon extra special. For some reason seeing the "bryan" I'm thinking you're a man, but you could be a woman with that last name.

Forgive me if some of these are way too obvious, but for some reason I think this might be one of your first cruises or maybe your first "romantic" cruise.

Since you'll be sailing when school is back in session, I don't think you'll have quite so many kids to deal with, but still, I'd suggest booking the specialty restaurants at least for 1/2 your dinners if you can swing it. I really enjoyed the food in Moderno, Bistro, and Cagney's and the atmosphere is great. The main dining rooms can be very noisy and I'm thinking you might like some intimacy on your honeymoon.

Take advantage of having breakfast served on your balcony some morning. The butler will move the table and chairs from your suite out there. When are ya gonna get to do that at home. At lunch, cheeseburgers, fries, and a cold beverage all taste better out there too.

We had great luck with the pre cruise concierge. You should get a letter with an email address with your luggage tags. You'll be able to select your pillows, what you'd like for your Lavazza, any special requests. You might want to think of what afternoon or evening snacks you'd enjoy. We especially liked chilled fruit slices after a hot day.

The balcony is a wonderful opportunity to see all sorts of amazing sights - rainbows, lightening at sea, dolphins, whales, just the stars are amazing away from the "light pollution." If you're sailing during a full moon, look for the moon path on the water.

Sneak away from your wife and go to the gift shop. Buy a Norwegian Dawn Christmas ornament for your first married Christmas tree if you celebrate Christmas. It will be a great surprise for her Christmas stocking and win you major brownie points.

I don't have to tell you what to do on your balcony some night. Again, when ya gonna do that at home.

Depending on whether you think she'd like it, book a massage. It's more expensive than a land spa, but there's something about a massage as you're looking out at the sea.

If you're going to Bermuda, be sure to kiss under a moongate. There's no more beautiful place you could spend your honeymoon. Have a beautiful life together.

^Meg, THANK YOU SO MUCH!! I can't tell you how much I appreciate it that you took the time to give me so much great info! You're right, this will definitely be my first "romantic" cruise. We have sailed together on a few other ncl cruises, but this one will be different since it's our honeymoon. Your tips were great! Again, I truly appreciate you taking the time to help me out!

I agree with all of the above posts! I've sailed aft penthouse on the Dawn twice and booked for 2 weeks 9/26. It is just the best. You should be able to have a nice dinner from a specialty on the balcony while in port...It can't be beat. Any specific questions...ask away

Brian

[...]

I'd suggest booking the specialty restaurants at least for 1/2 your dinners if you can swing it. I really enjoyed the food in Moderno, Bistro, and Cagney's and the atmosphere is great. The main dining rooms can be very noisy and I'm thinking you might like some intimacy on your honeymoon.

[...]

The balcony is a wonderful opportunity to see all sorts of amazing sights - rainbows, lightening at sea, dolphins, whales, just the stars are amazing away from the "light pollution." ...

If you're going to Bermuda, be sure to kiss under a moongate. ...

La Cucina Italian Restaurant always gets rave reviews, and it is far less expensive than Cagney's etc. [btw, no one gives Bamboo, the Asian resturaunt good reviews.]

If you are going to the Main dining rooms, be aware that between 6 or 6:30PM and 8PM they get very crowded. We always ate at 5:30 or after 8PM. Make resevations through your concierge for any venue, and it will make even the Main Dining room a better experience. I have never done it, but in a suite you may be able to work with your butler to have a dinner on your balcony.

Oh yes, the Moongates..."Wedding couples who kiss under the Moongate, found all over the island of Bermuda, will receive a long and happy marriage!":rolleyes:

Oh, remember to order roses to be in your cabin on departure. As a guy, I do not understand this magic, but I respect it!;)

Edited by untailored bostonian

I like your style Untailored Bostonian. I would add - dress up one night. Good things happen to men who dress up even if you don't normallly.

Did you catch my screen name!

I was going to add that he should plan a few surprise romantic gifts, like a pair of crystal swans.

Edited by untailored bostonian

I did, but thanks! I believe that review was from before the refurb, I'd really love to talk to someone that stayed on the 8th deck in an aft facing penthouse after the refurb so I can get an idea of the noise level coming from spinnaker, which apparently is directly below. We are not early to bed type people, so I'm really hoping this doesn't affect us.

Edited by bbryan5

I'm really getting nervous about being over spinikar.. realistically, on an October cruise, how late will the lounge be open till? And do they have loud parties every night, or just a couple nights on a 7 day cruise?

I did, but thanks! I believe that review was from before the refurb, I'd really love to talk to someone that stayed on the 8th deck in an aft facing penthouse after the refurb so I can get an idea of the noise level coming from spinnaker, which apparently is directly below. We are not early to bed type people, so I'm really hoping this doesn't affect us.

The corner penthouse should be fairly Quiet .

I did draw the worst cabin on the ship as a GTY cabin 8667 directly over Spinnakers dance floor .

My bed literally thumped till the wee hour's of the morning Every night .

We also had cabin 8656 just down the hall and noticed no noise at all . Nice quiet area of the ship with very little foot traffic .

I think you will be far enough away from the noise .

In the morning you will smell the bakery though all over the aft. As we did in cabin 9077 on NCL Sun . I loved it .

Edited by biker@sea

Thanks for the info! Wow, 8667 does appear to be DIRECTLY over the dance floor, that must have been tough! I hope it didn't ruin your cruise. We will most likely not be in bed before 2am any night, so I'm not super concerned, however since this is our honeymoon, I'd like it to be as perfect as possible. I read some horror stories about the aft penthouses on deck 8, but I'm sure a lot of people go to bed a lot earlier then us. I wish there was another aft penthouse available on 9 or 10, but there ain't! Thanks again for your info! :D:D:D

Thanks for the info! Wow, 8667 does appear to be DIRECTLY over the dance floor, that must have been tough! I hope it didn't ruin your cruise. We will most likely not be in bed before 2am any night, so I'm not super concerned, however since this is our honeymoon, I'd like it to be as perfect as possible. I read some horror stories about the aft penthouses on deck 8, but I'm sure a lot of people go to bed a lot earlier then us. I wish there was another aft penthouse available on 9 or 10, but there ain't! Thanks again for your info! :D:D:D

The only thing that could ruin my cruise would be to miss it . :D