TransAtlantic, Pacific Ocean etc...rough seas?

I Love NC

On our transatlantic last fall, the first 2-3 days were rough,Force10 winds, 8-10m waves. I slept so well! The last day we were supposed to stop at Coco Cay but couldn't because of the high seas and winds. All the rest was fine!

Our transatlantic was further north (CPH to NYC) and the rough waters were between Norway and the British Isles. The open ocean was fairly calm. Now, we did have to skip Greenland because we were told the waves there were too high to tender, so the captain will also have some control over the overall smoothness of your sailing.

No easy way to predict the oceans. Come prepared or go to customer service at first bad sign. Enjoy the great days.

Lol, the wording in this post gave me a chuckle.

Hopefully the OP's trip to Custmer Service won't be to complain about the state of the sea, or the Captain's driving... :eek::rolleyes: **

But to seek out some Seasick Meds which are typically complimentary.

** I post this cause you wouldn't believe some of the posts we've had here on CC in the past. One's Cruise Contract in the fine print clearly says the Captain is in charge of the vessel... And can make changes to the Itinerary at their discretion.

Fact that someone wanted to BLAME someone for an act of God / Mother Nature was quite amusing.

Cheers!

Edited by Sloop-JohnB

Eastbound San Juan to Southampton. 18- 25 foot sustained seas and 65 knot headwinds. The Summit was tossing and bobbing like a cork. The bulkheads creaked so much that my DD slept in the teeny tiny shower to mitigate the noise. It lasted 3 days. I think the farther north you go (as in to England rather than Rome or Spain) the more likely you'd meet rough seas. It was quite exciting, but we weren't allowed out on deck for a while. (not that we'd want to) They had yellow "CAUTION" tape across the doors to the outside.

I have done several of these.

The odds say you will have some rough seas for a portion of the voyage. How long and how rough varies by cruise to cruise and can vary the same time of year.

You just never know.

We love these cruises and just prepare for them. In our case, we take a mid ship room and we also bring over the counter medication with us just in case we are bothered by the sea conditions.

Again, no one knows for sure what the experience will be for the voyage(s) that are in the future.

Keith

Edited by Keith1010

If you've got the time, do it and find out. I can't wait to do a TA.

There's simply no way to predict sea states. We've done about 10 TAs and TPs. The roughest were going into Sydney and crossing the Bay of Biscayne. Really rough. Most have been very smooth, including northern Atlantic passages in October. On one very smooth trip our captain announced that a sister ship 300 miles to the north was being buffeted by heavy seas. It's a crap shoot. Personally, I like a rough day or two, just to make me feel I'm on an ocean, not a lake.