Gem - facelift?

din2play2

I just got an email from NCL via my TA. Our Nov. 1, 2015 cruise is cancelled due to dry dock of the Gem. Sorry to loose the NYC/NYC Carrib. 12 day. Just wish they could have used another ship. I guess that's easier said than done...

I just got an email from NCL via my TA. Our Nov. 1, 2015 cruise is cancelled due to dry dock of the Gem. Sorry to loose the NYC/NYC Carrib. 12 day. Just wish they could have used another ship. I guess that's easier said than done...

That stinks. So sorry

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Hi, I believe they are doing some refurbishing in Nov. 2014.....We are on here sailing Dec. 1..from NY .That is according to my T/A....Are you sure the date is 2015? I have reading all over the place it is NOV. 2014?

Wish NCL/TA would know what going on and when.

Edited by UandMe4Ever

NCL seems to be famous for canceling cruises for "dry dock" purposes.

This happened to us many years age - with no compensation!

We were not happy campers.

Hi, I believe they are doing some refurbishing in Nov. 2014.....We are on here sailing Dec. 1..from NY .That is according to my T/A....Are you sure the date is 2015? I have reading all over the place it is NOV. 2014?

Wish NCL/TA would know what going on and when.

So it is Nov of 2015 - not 2014? Cause someone posted here the other day that they are on Gem now and said they have already started replacing carpets and one of the lounge areas while they are on it

Edited by din2play2

That did seem a bit strange that they would be doing all that work with the drydock originally scheduled for Nov 2014 although sometimes they do start replacing some things ahead of time.

If it did change dates, maybe NCL should not call the program "NEXT" but "LATER".

"To accommodate the dry dock, we are canceling 3 sailings in 2015:

2-night Halloween Cruise departing from New York on 10/30/15

12-day Southern Caribbean Sailing departing from New York on 11/1/15

22-day Eastern & Southern Caribbean Sailing departing from New York on 11/1/15"

Was looking forward to our deck 10 aft balcony on the Nov 1/2015 cruise...:(

NCL offered us $50 OBC per person (or $100 OBC per person for suite guests) if you book by August 21st.

No other itineraries from North-East appealing to us around then so think we'll try an all inclusive resort for a change of pace....

Edited by cdnmr

22-day Eastern & Southern Caribbean Sailing departing from New York on 11/1/15"

So earlbird - does that mean it will NOT dry dock in 2014 like posted everywhere? Is that why they are doing some refurbishing now, then do the major work in Nov 2015? Are we all who travel now till November 2015 to expect work going on as we cruise/port?

Edited by din2play2

I'm sad to see this since I was planning on booking the Nov 1, 2015 cruise. I just went to the website and did a dummy booking, it will still let you book that date....hmmm. Also, I noticed that it looks like they have added 2 cruises for Nov 2014. Time to start looking at another Nov 2015 cruise...or we will end up taking the RC Anthem of the Sea cruise that we already have booked.

So earlbird - does that mean it will NOT dry dock in 2014 like posted everywhere? Is that why they are doing some refurbishing now, then do the major work in Nov 2015? Are we all who travel now till November 2015 to expect work going on as we cruise/port?

Sorry, I don't know the answers to your questions. The dry dock information came from my cruise consultant at NCL. I just booked the Gem for next February, and didn't want any last minute surprises.

Well shucks. :( I have the same exact questions.

I am booked on the March 2015 sailing and I was looking forward to some new digs, since I just cruised the Gem in January.

Our TA called this morning. Unfortunately for those, like us, who were booked on the rare 12-day Southern Caribbean cruise from NYC November 2015, NCL is moving back dry dock from November 2014 to November 2015. They will be adding 2 new cruises this November, when the ship was supposed to be in dry dock. We booked early to get the best price for our suite cabin next year; now we're back to the drawing board, as we can't cruise this November (already cruising September & December 2014). We must rebook a cruise any time through December 2015, so we can't just push back the date to sometime in January or February 2016. Still, it's not as bad as having a wedding cruise cancelled. Was very sorry to hear about that. Guess we'll take some time to work out new plans for 2015, if they fit our schedule.:(

I booked and thought I was going to be on an update ship for my birthday. There was no other ncl cruises that had this itinerary around the beginning of Nov. So I looked elsewhere and the only thing I found was a 7 day cruise on Carnival out of San Juan with a very similar itinerary leaving Nov 1 so I am seriously considering it. Actually its so cheap I can have a land all inclusive vacation also. It's kind of a step down but that's the way it goes.

Good luck to all of you as you look for alternatives.

Lucy of Lucy and Lon aka Pastrychef

So it is Nov of 2015 - not 2014? Cause someone posted here the other day that they are on Gem now and said they have already started replacing carpets and one of the lounge areas while they are on it

They replace carpets on all the ships all the time - no way the carpets in elevator lobbies and other high activity areas would last 5 years of 24/7 usage - or would the dry dock crew able to replace all the carpets at once. :)

I can't even remember last cruise on which they weren't fixing carpets somewhere.

Edited by Demonyte

Ahhh, so we're not the only disappointed people. cdnmr, PatJim, pastrychef were cancelled too. We had a aft cabin also. NCL doesn't seem to be offering this cruise at all in 2015. It's the NYC/NYC appeal that won us. We'll go elsewhere...

We are on the 12/1/14 cruise-they were supposed to replacing the blue lagoon during drydock nov 14-does this mean it will still be there December??

Yes, Blue Lagoon will still be there. I just got off the Gem this morning and was talking to the Hotel Director and they learned during our voyage of the changes to the dry dock.