Boston info NEEDED!

bbryan5

We have a cruise booked for our upcoming honeymoon this October. We will be sailing on the ncl dawn in a penthouse suite (our first time in a real suite) since we both have plenty of vacation time, we have decided to come to Boston 2 or 3 days before the cruise and enjoy the city. We have never been there before. I have 2 questions I guess.. First is, can anyone recommend a nice hotel for us to stay in, that's not too far from the cruise terminal? Second question, any cool/unique bars/restaurants in the area around the terminal? Thanks! :D:D:D

We have a cruise booked for our upcoming honeymoon this October. We will be sailing on the ncl dawn in a penthouse suite (our first time in a real suite) since we both have plenty of vacation time, we have decided to come to Boston 2 or 3 days before the cruise and enjoy the city. We have never been there before. I have 2 questions I guess.. First is, can anyone recommend a nice hotel for us to stay in, that's not too far from the cruise terminal? Second question, any cool/unique bars/restaurants in the area around the terminal? Thanks! :D:D:D

Do you prefer ritz or regular? Packed bars or dives? Touristy restaurants or places the locals go? Are you driving or flying, and how close to the terminal?

If I was here for 2 days only, I would stay at the Boston Harbor Hotel, eat at the union oyster house/legal seafood and drink at cheers and take a duck boat tour. Why? Because I only have 2 days.

I live near Boston, and work in Boston, so I would personally do none of those (although I have). Why? Because I live here, and, as I am sure the same holds true for your area of life, you stay away from the tourist things.

I checked Oct 8-10 and Oct 15-17 (the Dawn sails on a Friday) and prices for downtown Boston hotels are pretty much $300/night and up even on Hotwire. Boston Harbor Hotel starts at $502. Then add more money for taxes. To give you good advice, you have to give us a realistic budget to work with.

Very close to the terminal is a complex of restaurants and bars. It is only about a mile or so. The "flagship" Legal Seafoods is located here along with a few other very good restaurants. It is called "Harborside" as it was the former home of a now gone restaurant called "Jimmy's Harborside" which was a Boston icon for many years. LOL, at the end the food was terrible though!

Legal's has three levels, right on the water. The top level is the bar with opening roof and fantastic views. Lot's of fun!

What are the exact dates you will need a room in Oct? That is fall foliage season and hotels can be pricey. What is your hotel budget?

We'd like to check in either the 14th or 15th. Trying to keep it no more than $250 a night.

Do you prefer ritz or regular? Packed bars or dives? Touristy restaurants or places the locals go? Are you driving or flying, and how close to the terminal?

Not ritzy. Dive bars are cool. A place the locals go. Driving. I'd like to be no more than 20 min from the terminal, if that's possible.

Thanks so much for the info so far everyone, you all are extremely helpful :D:D:D

I know you're on your honeymoon and want something spectacular, but unfortunately $250 tax included is not an adequate budget for a WOW hotel in downtown Boston for a weekday night in Oct. The best thing I could find for you is on aa.com - the Park Plaza for about $250 tax included, cancellable up until 24 hours ahead.

This is an older hotel and the rooms can be small and show signs of wear and tear. The public areas are much more impressive. My husband has stayed there several times during snow storms and found it to be clean and comfortable if not trendy. The location is fabulous - right in downtown near the Boston Common and public transit and within walking distance of many things. If you pick this hotel, I'd call them several days ahead and tell them you're on your honeymoon and ask them if they could they block out a nice room.

I think Legal Seafood is good but pricey and overrated. I would recommend the No Name Restaurant instead. Not as fancy but still a great place to eat.

Everyone has an opinion. I think the No Name is overated. No atmosphere, not clean, and I don't think the food is that good, mostly fried options.

Yes, Legal's is kind of pricey but the food and the quality is top notch. And you can't beat the view and atmosphere at the Harborside location.

JMHO

I think Legal Seafood is good but pricey and overrated. I would recommend the No Name Restaurant instead. Not as fancy but still a great place to eat.

Have you eaten at the upstairs (and very upscale) part of Legal's Harborside? It is amazingly good.