UDP reservation times are TERRIBLE :(

Dear BermudaBound2014,

We provide a portion of our main dining and specialty dining capacities for pre-booking. So that we can continue to offer freedom and flexibility for our guests once onboard, we set aside additional capacity for onboard reservations and/or walk-ins.

We hope this helps!

Dear BermudaBound2014,

We provide a portion of our main dining and specialty dining capacities for pre-booking. So that we can continue to offer freedom and flexibility for our guests once onboard, we set aside additional capacity for onboard reservations and/or walk-ins.

We hope this helps!

Thank you very much for addressing my concern about the lack of availability for pre-booking. Is it possible for you to confirm that you only allow 10% of restaurant capacity to be pre-booked as has been mentioned multiple times on cruise critic? In other words, does NCL set aside 90% of the capacity for on-board reservations and walk-ins?

If so, we are much more likely to purchase UDP and only make reservations for the smaller venues of LeBistro and Teppanakki (thanks for the suggestion Starry). We'll do walk-in for all other restaurants and won't mind waiting as long as we there is reasonable reassurance we will not be turned away.

Final question: In contemplating pre-purchasing UDP, I noticed that Cirque is no longer available to reserve online the first night. Can you confirm that there is reasonable assurance we would be able to attend your the complimentary Cirque performance on the first evening if we made reservations immediately upon boarding?

Thank you to all who posted you don't book restaurants in advance and manage not to starve during your cruise. :D

I just booked a few shows for my upcoming Getaway cruise, and almost got sucked in to making dinner reservations after reading reports here of full venues, waits, and undesirable times. But I've never been on this ship before. I have NO IDEA where/what/when I will want to eat each evening.

But then, like a white knight (white ship?) came NCL to my rescue. When I clicked number of persons, there was no option for 1 person. Nor would it allow me to select times. In ANY restaurant.

WTH? Singles need not apply?:confused:

Decision made. If NCL expects me to commit to a day and then let them notify me WHEN I'm allowed it eat, screw it. I'll take my chances as a walk-in anywhere, whenever I want to dine.

With all this pre-plotting and planning for shows and dining they'd like us all to do, they should rethink the word "freestyle" in their advertising. The truth is, this is way more work and uncertainty than traditional seating and entertainment EVER entailed.

Thank you to all who posted you don't book restaurants in advance and manage not to starve during your cruise. :D

I just booked a few shows for my upcoming Getaway cruise, and almost got sucked in to making dinner reservations after reading reports here of full venues, waits, and undesirable times. But I've never been on this ship before. I have NO IDEA where/what/when I will want to eat each evening.

But then, like a white knight (white ship?) came NCL to my rescue. When I clicked number of persons, there was no option for 1 person. Nor would it allow me to select times. In ANY restaurant.

Decision made. If NCL expects me to commit to a day and then let them notify me WHEN I'm allowed it eat, screw it. I'll take my chances as a walk-in anywhere, whenever I want to dine.

With all this pre-plotting and planning for shows and dining they'd like us all to do, they should rethink the word "freestyle" in their advertising. The truth is, this is way more work and uncertainty than traditional seating and entertainment EVER entailed.

I agree. Why am I stressing about where my family of 4 might want to eat 3 months from now? I reserved some shows but hopefully the Getaway can handle us going freestyle in November.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Forums mobile app

How unfortunate :( I was under the impression that NCL was the "free-style" line. If I'm understanding you correctly, on NCL the only truly free-style is the buffet?? It appears that even the free restaurants report extremely long waits at popular times for those without reservations, so that doesn't seem like free-style to me :(

We recently sailed on the Getaway and saw none of the reported long lines for any of the 3 main dining rooms. The buffet gets crowded around main meal times but again there was never any problem finding a table.

All main dining rooms (I don't know what ship you are sailing on so I don't know how many will be on it) and other venues such as osheenans are free style. You come and go as you please. Specialty restaurants require reservations and seating is limited so it would behoove you to make your reservations as soon as you can nail down a desired dinner time. We made our dinner reservations for 7:30 at the 2 specialty restaurants we dined at and found that time to be agreeable as in not conflicting with other on board activities.

I hope you enjoy your trip :)

Actually the biggest ships on other lines (like Oasis and Allure) also do reservations for shows, specialty dining and my time dining. So if do not be surprised if you encounter the same elsewhere...the big ships have too many passengers to risk everybody trying to go to the same show at the sme time...it would be a nightmare and we'd all have to deal with cranky fellow guests.

It does take some planning to make reservations, but those who do not make advanced reservations can do it on the ship day one. Or just wait in the standby line and go as space is available.

On the bright side, if you are solo, you may get good seats for shows that way...there are often single seats betwen some of the groups, some are in primo locations:). It is likely to work out just fine for you.

If you decide you want to reserve restaurants for one, maybe try calling. Websites sometimes have silly bugs; I doubt they are trying to offend you. Oddly, on this thread the OP could get a ressie for 1, but not for 2. Yet we all know the same table and staff will serve whether one or two people sit down at a smallest table.

Have a great time!

That may be the reality but it's not the way NCL markets it (IMO). This is off their website;

Freestyle Dining

No set dining times, no assigned tables, a relaxed dress code and more restaurants than days in the week on every ship, so you can enjoy whatever you're hungry for, whenever you're hungry.

If I'm new to NCL, I might think that I can walk up to a restaurant and get in without reservations. I might assume that they have done it enough times and have enough different venues that they know how to feed a few thousand people over the course of 3-4 hours without anyone waiting. I'm going to assume they have implemented and advertise a concept because they know how to make it work.

Last year we did a Celebrity cruise and chose the "Anytime" dining option. Whenever we'd ask our butler if we needed reservations, he would always say no....just walk up. Every time, we ended up waiting, and on one evening for almost an hour. We chose Anytime because we didn't want to be tied to a fixed time everyday. It surprised us that the butler seemed to think we could just walk up though. We did book the Specialty Restaurants just to make sure we got in.

I understand that some people have had those experiences. As I said earlier, I've cruised with NCL quite a bit and I've been able to walk into any restaurant I wanted to eat at when I felt like eating almost every night. I've had a couple of experiences where I wanted to eat at 7:30 and had to take 8:15 at a specialty, but normally no wait. I've also had to wait once at the MDR but that was because we wanted a table for 12, so I don't count that one.

Perhaps I've been very lucky, perhaps it is that it works really well.

• 2 weeks later...

Since I am the OP I thought I should follow up on this post. Unfortunately, the reservation times continued to be a hassle the entire cruise, BUT with that said, I'm very very glad we had UDP based on many comments about poor quality and service in the complimentary dining rooms. BTW: We ate breakfast and lunch in both savor and taste and found the service and food quite good; most people were only complaining about dinner.

I did end up purchasing UDP the week prior to sailing and like suggested in this post, I made reservations for leBistro, Cagneys, and Teppanaki prior to boarding. Those evenings went without a hitch; but IMHO the need to reserve dining and lack of available dining times made this anything but a"Free-style" cruise. This ended up fine with us, but in all fairness, many may be disappointed if they are looking for the "anytime/anywhere" dining experience NCL promotes.

First disappointment: At the time I purchased UDP, I could not book the complementary cirque show for the first evening online. I called NCL and was told that the pre-boarding seats were already sold but 2/3 of the show seats were reserved for booking upon boarding. We boarded and immediately went to the box office (we actually boarded at the box office so it was convenient). We waited in a brief line, only to be told that all seats were sold out and had been sold out for 'several weeks'. The stories simply didn't match. Either 2/3 of the seats are reserved, or they aren't. If they aren't; then NCL should be upfront. If your decision to purchase UDP is swayed because of the free cirque offering, be advised there is a chance you won't be able to get into cirque regardless what you are told. We were disappointed but decided to keep UDP.

We ate at Teppanaki the first night since we couldn't get into Cirque. Teppanaki usually is my favorite meal in all-inclusives and cruises which offer it, but this wasn't the case on the Breakaway. Partially because the food was just OK (very subjective); but our chef was a bit 'dull' also. Clearly he was very tired. While this was my least favorite meal, it was still a very nice experience.

On Day 1 I called to reserve Cagneys for Day 2 (having been assured that 2/3 of tables were reserved for on-board reservations). Needless to say, we did sea-food buffet since we couldn't get reservations at ANY of the restaurants at times the coordinated with our show tickets. We had tickets for both burn the floor and Comedy Central which made our times limited, but still, NOTHING was available.

I did make reservations for Cagneys for Tuesday. It was fantastic! But by Tuesday I realized that I needed reservations for the entire week or things simply were not going to be available. On Tuesday I attempted to make a reservation for Cagneys on Saturday. NONE. On Friday, NONE. The only additional cagneys reservation I could get was for Thursday at 9:30 pm (and we took the last spot). This means that by Tuesday afternoon, Cagneys was already reserved Thursday, Friday, and Saturday so without reservations prior to Tuesday, your only option or Cagneys was Wednesday in port.

We made reservations for every evening the remaining cruise, but by Tuesday, the times were less than desirable. We could only get into LeBistro at 5:30 on Saturday (LeBistro on Friday was one of the reservations I made prior to boarding). And we took a 9:30 p.m. slot for the Italian on Wednesday.

In my opinion, needing to make reservations PRIOR to boarding to get decent seating times negates the entire free-style concept. I realize not all experiences are like ours, but for us, the free-style turned into "dine when we tell you" style. LOL.

With all that being said, I'd do it again in a heartbeat because the food was THAT good. Our sailing was particularly full, so dining in peace and quiet was appreciated. Based on my experience, I'd recommend booking UDP reservations LONG before sailing (remember, many of my preferred slots were sold out a week prior to my sailing).

Also, be prepared to spend a significant amount of time at dinner (fine by us, but those with kids were struggling). I made 6:30 p.m. reservations at Cagneys prior to boarding and 9:30 Rock of Ages reservations and we BARELY made rock of ages. Thursday evening in Cagneys we accepted the 9:30 reservations and finished dinner after 11 p.m . Again, I'm not complaining at all... food was terrific and we enjoyed the long meals, but twice we saw couples with children leave Cagneys because it was taking so long.

To make a long story short; I recommend UDP but also recommend making reservations LONG before boarding. IMHO, UDP on NCL is no longer a 'free-style' dining experience. Instead, it is much more like the old days with very rigid times for dinner; but on the flip-side; it was certainly excellent dining; more reminiscent of cruise days gone past when all meals were like those found in LeBistro or Cagneys.

Hope that helps someone making the decision of whether to UDP or not :)

Since I am the OP I thought I should follow up on this post. Unfortunately, the reservation times continued to be a hassle the entire cruise, BUT with that said, I'm very very glad we had UDP based on many comments about poor quality and service in the complimentary dining rooms. BTW: We ate breakfast and lunch in both savor and taste and found the service and food quite good; most people were only complaining about dinner.

I did end up purchasing UDP the week prior to sailing and like suggested in this post, I made reservations for leBistro, Cagneys, and Teppanaki prior to boarding. Those evenings went without a hitch; but IMHO the need to reserve dining and lack of available dining times made this anything but a"Free-style" cruise. This ended up fine with us, but in all fairness, many may be disappointed if they are looking for the "anytime/anywhere" dining experience NCL promotes.

First disappointment: At the time I purchased UDP, I could not book the complementary cirque show for the first evening online. I called NCL and was told that the pre-boarding seats were already sold but 2/3 of the show seats were reserved for booking upon boarding. We boarded and immediately went to the box office (we actually boarded at the box office so it was convenient). We waited in a brief line, only to be told that all seats were sold out and had been sold out for 'several weeks'. The stories simply didn't match. Either 2/3 of the seats are reserved, or they aren't. If they aren't; then NCL should be upfront. If your decision to purchase UDP is swayed because of the free cirque offering, be advised there is a chance you won't be able to get into cirque regardless what you are told. We were disappointed but decided to keep UDP.

We ate at Teppanaki the first night since we couldn't get into Cirque. Teppanaki usually is my favorite meal in all-inclusives and cruises which offer it, but this wasn't the case on the Breakaway. Partially because the food was just OK (very subjective); but our chef was a bit 'dull' also. Clearly he was very tired. While this was my least favorite meal, it was still a very nice experience.

On Day 1 I called to reserve Cagneys for Day 2 (having been assured that 2/3 of tables were reserved for on-board reservations). Needless to say, we did sea-food buffet since we couldn't get reservations at ANY of the restaurants at times the coordinated with our show tickets. We had tickets for both burn the floor and Comedy Central which made our times limited, but still, NOTHING was available.

I did make reservations for Cagneys for Tuesday. It was fantastic! But by Tuesday I realized that I needed reservations for the entire week or things simply were not going to be available. On Tuesday I attempted to make a reservation for Cagneys on Saturday. NONE. On Friday, NONE. The only additional cagneys reservation I could get was for Thursday at 9:30 pm (and we took the last spot). This means that by Tuesday afternoon, Cagneys was already reserved Thursday, Friday, and Saturday so without reservations prior to Tuesday, your only option or Cagneys was Wednesday in port.

We made reservations for every evening the remaining cruise, but by Tuesday, the times were less than desirable. We could only get into LeBistro at 5:30 on Saturday (LeBistro on Friday was one of the reservations I made prior to boarding). And we took a 9:30 p.m. slot for the Italian on Wednesday.

In my opinion, needing to make reservations PRIOR to boarding to get decent seating times negates the entire free-style concept. I realize not all experiences are like ours, but for us, the free-style turned into "dine when we tell you" style. LOL.

With all that being said, I'd do it again in a heartbeat because the food was THAT good. Our sailing was particularly full, so dining in peace and quiet was appreciated. Based on my experience, I'd recommend booking UDP reservations LONG before sailing (remember, many of my preferred slots were sold out a week prior to my sailing).

Also, be prepared to spend a significant amount of time at dinner (fine by us, but those with kids were struggling). I made 6:30 p.m. reservations at Cagneys prior to boarding and 9:30 Rock of Ages reservations and we BARELY made rock of ages. Thursday evening in Cagneys we accepted the 9:30 reservations and finished dinner after 11 p.m . Again, I'm not complaining at all... food was terrific and we enjoyed the long meals, but twice we saw couples with children leave Cagneys because it was taking so long.

To make a long story short; I recommend UDP but also recommend making reservations LONG before boarding. IMHO, UDP on NCL is no longer a 'free-style' dining experience. Instead, it is much more like the old days with very rigid times for dinner; but on the flip-side; it was certainly excellent dining; more reminiscent of cruise days gone past when all meals were like those found in LeBistro or Cagneys.

Hope that helps someone making the decision of whether to UDP or not :)

All this makes you wonder if tables would have magically become available if you didn't have the Udp.

Makes sense they would likely hold some good times back for some people who don't already have the package, this way they get more revenue.

Thank you for the update! We are getting the UDP for our November cruise on the Epic and I had my hubby make them at exactly 90 days out after reading of your trouble. We got every thing we wanted when we wanted it so your struggle lead to us being mega pre planners! We usually do Disney at least one trip a yr so we are used to picking dining a ways out!!

Thanks again!

I hope the rest of your cruise was also great!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I think the Breakaway is still on cruises where the UDP was being given away free, so the situation on the ship and the Getaway is likely to be different to other ships.

Whilst we had more trouble than usual getting reservations on the Jade recently, it was only is we were trying to get in on the same day or the next day. The second week you could walk up pretty well anywhere at any time.

So I'd agree that it looks vert random. I certainly prebook as much as possible if I was on a sailing where the UDP was being given away, but from what I've seen and heard, the OPs experience seems to be pretty well worst case, and only really relevant to the Breakaway and Getaway.

For the record, when we were on the Epic a couple of months ago, the speciality restaurants were pretty quiet. Easy to get in anywhere.

I always book my dinners and shows in advance as soon as I can. I've sailed NCL just 4 times so far but have always took the Freestyle as meaning I don't have the set dining seatings in the main dining room like other cruise lines have. I've never thought it had to do with the specialty restaurants. If you want certain times in the nicer restaurants you need to book ahead.

We are going on the Getaway in November with 2 other couples and I know where and what time we are eating every night. We all have the UDP and using it to the fullest. Lol

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

I always book my dinners and shows in advance as soon as I can........

We are going on the Getaway in November with 2 other couples and I know where and what time we are eating every night. We all have the UDP and using it to the fullest. Lol

I totally agree. My experience is that the best way to use UDP to its fullest on the Breakaway is to make reservations as soon as possible (45 days prior to the cruise).

Unfortunately, I'm not that good at knowing when and where i want to eat a month in advance (heck, I don't even know what I want to eat tonight and it's already 2:00 lol). Sometimes I have a taste for certain food and have no idea if I'll want Italian on Monday or Friday a month in advance. I also prefer to physically see the restaurants before booking, but that's just a personal quirk.

With all that being said, should I choose to sail Breakaway again I'd still choose UDP; but next time I'd make reservations 45 days in advance and hope for the best. For me, so much scheduling takes away a bit of the 'vacation vibe", but the quiet diners on the waterfront really were worth the scheduling logistics for us.

Edited by BermudaBound2014

Reservations are guaranteed with the UDP with 24 hours notice.

Go to the "terms and conditions" and FAQ section.

Have you tried calling in as well?

Thank you for sharing. This information answers some of my question but does not solve the problem. At least I know I can't be turned away entirely IF I make reservations 24 hours in advance (which I don't really want to do but will for the small venues); however I tend to wonder if the only reservations available will be the 5:30 slot which doesn't work for us :(.

Just got off the Getaway and had a few small issues with the UDP. Booked the first 3 days online. When I got to the ship one conflicted with the past guest party. I just skipped the party, but really, how can you know what all the activities are until you are on the ship with the schedule.

One of the night's reservation was different than what I had booked. Several of my entertainment options didn't show up. A trip to the box office fixed it but I had spent a lot of time online booking things and it turned out to be a waste of time.

As I quoted above the terms and conditions clearly state that reservations are guaranteed 24 hrs in advance. Tried calling the res line Thurs morning for Friday nite LeBistro and was told it was completely full. I reminded the lady, at length, that my reservation was guaranteed. No luck. So I went down to the desk with their UDP Paperwork in hand and suddenly 3 reservations opened up.

There was no way I was going to put up with being turned away. If you sell me a product I expect you to live up to the terms.

While I kind of resent paying extra for food (I like the idea that food is included in your cruise fare) we would probably buy the UDP again.

As I quoted above the terms and conditions clearly state that reservations are guaranteed 24 hrs in advance. Tried calling the res line Thurs morning for Friday nite LeBistro and was told it was completely full. I reminded the lady, at length, that my reservation was guaranteed. No luck. So I went down to the desk with their UDP Paperwork in hand and suddenly 3 reservations opened up.

There was no way I was going to put up with being turned away. If you sell me a product I expect you to live up to the terms.

Same here. Purchased UDP on last two cruises - one on Breakaway; other on Gem. Made no reservations in advance. Made Teppyanki the day we boarded because we know that books up. Now, recognize that we are VERY flexible, and there are only two of us. But for everything else, we called the day before for each day, told them what restaurant we wanted, and told them anything after 7:30 was fine. A couple of times we had to remind them of the 24 hour guarantee when we were initially told 'sold out," but ultimately never had a problem getting a reservation in the restaurant we wanted

terry

Same here. Purchased UDP on last two cruises - one on Breakaway; other on Gem. Made no reservations in advance. Made Teppyanki the day we boarded because we know that books up. Now, recognize that we are VERY flexible, and there are only two of us. But for everything else, we called the day before for each day, told them what restaurant we wanted, and told them anything after 7:30 was fine. A couple of times we had to remind them of the 24 hour guarantee when we were initially told 'sold out," but ultimately never had a problem getting a reservation in the restaurant we wanted

terry

I had a problem with Cagney's. Deck 6 desk said sold out. I went to the restaurant directly and spoke to a gentleman that was in charge there. He gave me the time I needed for my party of 9. AND to add when we were there....a table for 12 and several tables for four to six were empty for the two full hours we sat and ate. EXCELLENT restaurant I might add!

I totally agree. My experience is that the best way to use UDP to its fullest on the Breakaway is to make reservations as soon as possible (45 days prior to the cruise).

It's 90 days now or 100 days for suite passengers.

It's 90 days now or 100 days for suite passengers.

Interesting. By doubling the pre-booking reservation window it appears to me NCL is encouraging people to book prior to sailing. That might help to explain why so many venues were booked prior to even boarding the Breakaway. Do you know when it changed from 45 to 90 days?

Interesting. By doubling the pre-booking reservation window it appears to me NCL is encouraging people to book prior to sailing. That might help to explain why so many venues were booked prior to even boarding the Breakaway. Do you know when it changed from 45 to 90 days?
It was announced in May. Edited by LrgPizza

I'm debating about whether or not to purchase UDP. I 'think' we want it, but the reservation times available are terrible :(.

Example: On Day 2 the only time available time for LeBistro is 5:30 :(. Can this be correct? Is LeBistro entirely sold out for the first Sea day or do they hold certain amount of seats for those that just show up? In other words, if we went to LeBistro at 7:00 p.m. would we be able to eat there that night even if we had a hours wait?

Another example: on the second sea day I can't even make any reservation for Cagneys because parties of 2 are unavailable (I can make a single reservation or a party of 4). Even LaCucina only has 5:30 available for party of 2 :(.

Do you think they will open up blocks of time once onboard ship?

We don't mind waiting, but we don't want to purchase UDP if there is a chance we won't be able to dine in our chosen restaurant on our chosen date. In other words, what is the chance of being turned away from a restaurant entirely?

You were able to make your reservations for the specialty restaurants 90 days before sailing. Since you posted on Aug 9, Im guessing you are sailing much sooner than 90 days and this is the reason there arent that many choices for reservations.

You were able to make your reservations for the specialty restaurants 90 days before sailing. Since you posted on Aug 9, Im guessing you are sailing much sooner than 90 days and this is the reason there arent that many choices for reservations.

Yes, totally my fault. I had no idea where I wanted to eat 90 days out from sailing, let alone WHAT I wanted to eat on any given day. In fact, I'm such a non-planner that I didn't even decide to purchase UDP until a week prior to sailing due to the consistently poor reviews about the complimentary dining choices. I didn't realize free style meant making so many choices PRIOR to even boarding. Should I choose breakaway again I'll be sure to make my reservations 3 months in advance :).

thank you for coming back to share your experience.

Plenty of people share your vacation style (would rather play it by ear than make reservations way in advance). When they read this thread, they might decide, as you have, to make the BA UDP reservations early, even if it is not their initial inclination.

glad you made into the venues and enjoyed the package.