Emerald out of Houston

Sunshine81

We are on the Emerald out of Houston in February. We would like to take a 10:45 AM flight home on a Sunday. I know it will be tight and we will take our own luggage off but does anyone know if it's possible?

Pam

Princess' official guidelines for the earliest flights out of Houston is 1:30pm. There is certainly fog to be considered. A good number of cruises this year out of Houston were delayed because of fog. My cruise last December was delayed three hours before we docked. Luckily I had a later flight and all was well... but there certainly were a LOT of people scrambling to change flights. I think that later is better... to be on the safe side.

Edited by RickEk

If you are using ICH airport, it is 45 miles from the port while HOU is 21 miles away. Traffic in Houston is next to horrible so plan on extra time. The good thing is that if the ship debarks on time, it will be Sunday morning when the traffic is at its low point.

ICH is a very large airport and leave time to check in, clear TSA security and get to your gate. There are 4 terminals at ICH all connected together. HOU is considerably smaller air terminal.

If you are using ICH airport, it is 45 miles from the port while HOU is 21 miles away. Traffic in Houston is next to horrible so plan on extra time. The good thing is that if the ship debarks on time, it will be Sunday morning when the traffic is at its low point.

ICH is a very large airport and leave time to check in, clear TSA security and get to your gate. There are 4 terminals at ICH all connected together. HOU is considerably smaller air terminal.

Houston does not have a ICH airport it is IAH wich is the main Airport Houston Intercontinental Airport and the other airport is Hobby Airport

We are on the Emerald out of Houston in February. We would like to take a 10:45 AM flight home on a Sunday. I know it will be tight and we will take our own luggage off but does anyone know if it's possible?

Pam

Anything is possible, but making that flight is going to be risky at best. I wouldn't try it myself. Edited by cherylandtk

Having left from Houston before, I would suggest a flight THE DAY AFTER you are to disembark. Fog is frequent and can CLOSE the port! In addition, the port is several miles from open water.

The Houston port is in no way similar to Miami or Lauderdale. The airports are far away, with few hotels in the vicinity. In addition, you will probably have cold/cool weather for the first two, and last day of the cruise.

Edited by HUNKY

The earliest you can disembark (assuming the ship does arrive on time) is shortly after 7 AM using the self-disembarkation (carry all of your own luggage).

Immigration and customs will likely be quick, so assume you should be able to get a ride to the airport by 7:30.

Cabs should be there, but "should" may not be good enough and thus you might want to arrange for your own transportation.

Being Sunday morning, traffic should be light unless there is construction. Allow an hour to get to HOU (the closer airport) and 75 minutes to get to IAH.

So you could expect to get to HOU by about 8:30 or IAH by about 8:45.

Thus you could make a 10:45 flight if (and that's a big if) the ship arrives on time.

As Dirty Harry would say, "Do you feel lucky?"