Wonderful Week on Jewel August 2-9

Gasdoc

Just returned from a wonderful Southern Caribbean cruise aboard the Jewel. I am 54, my 19 year old son and I traveled together. My wife and daughter had another commitment and were unable to travel on this cruise. This was our first Royal Cruise. Previously four Celebrity cruises and one Holland America. Our Elite status with Celebrity translated to Diamond with Royal.

Arrived to port in San Juan around 1130 and embarkation was quick and easy.

Cabin

We were in 7598 a starboard almost center hump balcony. View was straight down here as the lifeboat covers do not extend over the hump. We had no noise from Centrum.Great location. Near elevators and stairs. Schooner Bar was very close. Quick elevator up to Windjammer. Cabin was smaller than our Aqua Class cabin on Reflection. However space was adequate for two. Room was in very good order. Beds were extremely comfortable. Linens were very good. Shower pressure was excellent. No smells in bathroom, or anywhere on ship for that matter.Cabin steward kept room serviced twice a day.

Food

The food overall was probably not as good as some of our early Celebrity cruises ten years ago, however I enjoyed almost all of it. The Windjammer had a wide variety of choices for breakfast and lunch. A previous reviewer commented negatively on the bacon. I thought it was very good.

I ate breakfast in the dining room several mornings and had some of the best Eggs Benedict I have had anywhere, including Brennan's in New Orleans.

We had dinner every night in the main dining room. Overall I felt the starters were better than the main entrees. Some nights I had three or four starters because they sounded good. And they were. Escargot was available every night and was delicious. The entrees ranged from ok to very good. Only one night did I not like my entree. However after a late lunch and several starters, I did not ask for a replacement. Lobster was available second formal night and was very tasty. Desserts were not as imaginative as some earlier cruises, however this is probably true across all lines. Our waiters did a good job. Maybe not as crisp as some earlier cruises, but no complaints.

The Seaview Cafe was excellent. Grouper Caesar Salad was great.

Bar Service

We had drink packages. Premium for me and Royal Replenishfor my son. We had great service throughout. No avoidance since we had the package and definitely no short pours. Waylon and Kevin in the Schooner bar were outstanding. As I drank more than the daily cost of the package I frequently added an additional tip.

Entertainment

Two production shows were very good. Two comedians were very funny.A wide variety of entertainment throughout the ship.

Staff

Captain Thore is the current master. He has been with Royal for 44 years. Very personable. he runs a good ship.

Dennis Charles is the current CD. He did a great job. Probably our favorite.

Overall the crew seemed in good spirits. I always try to be appreciative of their efforts and respectful and have never had any problems with poor attitudes. These folks work very hard to help us enjoy our holiday.

Ports

St. Thomas- took the ship excursion to St. John. Highly recommend. Went to beach at Trunk Bay- beautiful. Rum Punch on the return- delicious.

St. Kitts- Did an Island tour with a taxi driver. Poor island. Brimstone Fortress definitely worth a visit.

Aruba- Sunset Sail and Snorkel with Blue Mlody Black Pearl. Outstanding. highly recommend.

Curacao- Did an island tour previously so just walked around the port area.

Ship

The ship was in excellent repair. I am pretty critical and could not find anything to complain about. Yes it is ten years old but could not prove it by me. Some complain the ship is too small. All of our cruises have been on this size ship and it fits us. The ship has lots of glass and excellent views. Would sail her again in a minute.

Overall

Very pleased with the cruise. Royal is not as elegant or formal as Celebrity or Holland America, however it is more fun. People are actually awake after dinner on Royal. We had a great time.

Let me know if you have any questions.

I will be traveling on this same itinerary in 2 weeks. Question though another poster who traveled this same itinerary on July 12, 2014 mentioned on a recent thread that RCCL switched ports and that Curacao was Day 5, and Aruba Day 6. Our scheduled itinerary is suppose to be Aruba Day 5, and Curacao Day 6. Can you confirm your ports for Day 5 & Day 6 for me?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...
Just returned from a wonderful Southern Caribbean cruise aboard the Jewel. I am 54, my 19 year old son and I traveled together. My wife and daughter had another commitment and were unable to travel on this cruise. This was our first Royal Cruise. Previously four Celebrity cruises and one Holland America. Our Elite status with Celebrity translated to Diamond with Royal.

Arrived to port in San Juan around 1130 and embarkation was quick and easy.

Cabin

We were in 7598 a starboard almost center hump balcony. View was straight down here as the lifeboat covers do not extend over the hump. We had no noise from Centrum.Great location. Near elevators and stairs. Schooner Bar was very close. Quick elevator up to Windjammer. Cabin was smaller than our Aqua Class cabin on Reflection. However space was adequate for two. Room was in very good order. Beds were extremely comfortable. Linens were very good. Shower pressure was excellent. No smells in bathroom, or anywhere on ship for that matter.Cabin steward kept room serviced twice a day.

Do you happen to have any pictures of the cabin? We are booked in this cabin in March. Thanks!