Queen Victoria, broken again!

DB605

We were on the Queen vic in July and were told that it is having a two week refit in January 2015 (similar to Queen Elizabeths ) and that they were cancelling cruises in that two week period in January. Methinks your cruise is one of those:eek:

We were on the Queen vic in July and were told that it is having a two week refit in January 2015 (similar to Queen Elizabeths ) and that they were cancelling cruises in that two week period in January. Methinks your cruise is one of those:eek:

Thanks for that info, it would seem that they were still taking bookings even after they knew exactly what was happening. It just gets better:mad:

However, making a claim does bring its own problems, such as possible increased premiums in future.
What makes you say that? At what point in the quoting and booking process does an insurer determine who you are and what our claim history is?

What makes you say that? At what point in the quoting and booking process does an insurer determine who you are and what our claim history is?

I live in the UK. Whenever I ask for an insurance quote for house, car, etc. I am asked if I have had any claims in the past 5 years (the number can change). This affects the rating. It is also pointed out that insurance companies swap information with each other. (In other words, don't think you can tell lies about it.)

With travel insurance they know that some people will claim for little things in order to get back the amount they paid. That's why you pay the first X of any claim. Also, at one point I wondered about claiming for something and discussed it with the insurance company and the girl on the phone virtually admitted that it could affect my premiums in future. It wasn't worth it for the amount of the item I had lost.

Here's a quote I've just found in an article about travel insurance: Malcolm Tarling, from the Association of British Insurers, admitted it was up to individual insurers to decide whether, having reported a loss, you are considered to be more likely to make a future claim

In other words, if they decide that one claim makes you more likely to make a future claim, then they can increase premiums.

Edited by fantasy51
Adding last section

OK, in the US auto and home insurance premiums can be affected by claims history but for travel insurance we can go to a site like insuremytrip.com and shop travel insurance before giving any identifying information other than age. There isn't a step later where they adjust your premium after they figure out who you are.

Of course, collecting on a travel insurance claim can be a test of endurance under adversity...

• 4 months later...
Gosh hope she is ready for 20th January World Cruise.......!

We got off QV yesterday from the NYE cruise and it was already packed with contractors. Interestingly I was told to "use the contractors exit" since clearly I must look like I am about to fit a carpet, walking off a ship with Gucci weekend bag....

We got off QV yesterday from the NYE cruise too.

They also must have thought we were tradesmen, as when we disembarked not one member of staff wished us a safe onward journey, expressed a wish to see us again soon or even said thank you.

We had a great time aboard QV and Amsterdam was brilliant on NYE.

So the QV is now on her way to Hamburg to fix the propulsion problems and for a "multi million pound refit". I hope they don't take away those seating alcoves in the Lido like they did on the QE.

From this

2hmkj86.jpg

to this

2h2nozd.jpg :(

http://www.cruisecritic.co.uk/news/news.cfm?ID=5953#

Got off the Q.V. 29th December, our 11 cruise on the Q.V. but I can not recall seeing the alcove seating.:confused:

For what it's worth, a senior officer and the senior engineers wife told me that the "tin can ferry" ships should last about 15, 20 years maximum.

Boy, you sure described QE and QV to a "T". The only Cunard ship I would sail on is the real thing; QM2. I always referred to them as the "tin ships"! You take a Carnival cruise ship and put lipstick on it. :D

A good deal of activity was going on around the Queen Victoria as we passed by her in dry dock today. I posted a photo of her in my blog entry for today - scroll down a few times past all the uninteresting blurb to find it ;-)

http://elegantsufficiency.squarespace.com/blog/2015/1/5/hamburg-monday-morning.html

(Sorry, I'm sure there's a way to link to just the photo, but I have no idea how)

We last saw her when she was docked alongside us in Dubai, a couple of years ago and though it was good to see her again today, I'm sorry it was in such circumstances. Here's hoping she'll be back up and running soon and will create no further disappointments.

Gilly

Azimuth propulsion systems are an interest to me suddenly after reading this log. I don't think any of the ships I have been on have been anything but Azimuth propulsion.

I have read that this form of propulsion is quieter with less vibration through the hull.

The only shaft drive I have seen was on a tour of the old Queen Mary in Long Beach. Of course it was not running and for the most part the innards of the ship had been ripped out leaving huge dark caverns they used for tours stating there were ghosts in the ship.

I was wondering if anyone had been on the older ships with shaft drives and the new ships with Azimuth propulsion systems and could give a comparison of the sound / vibrations etc?