Help, Stolen Passport!

Laurie S.

I lost - actually it fell in the room and we didn't find it till later - my wallet. Talked to the hotel and they suggested Walmart. Had hubby take cash to our local Walmart and had them send ("wire") me the money. We had to set up something to say as I had no identification on me. After he did that he called and gave me the ID numbers needed. Had the money within 30 minutes of my calling him to begin with. the cost depends on the amount you send,

THEN, while getting ready for a quick dip in the pool the wallet was found so I ended up with more cash on hand than I really cared for but at least did have cash.

This is so interesting. Thanks for this post. I never heard of

such a thing but will plant it in the back of my mind somewhere. :)

Laurie,

I hope it all works out for you and your wedding/honeymoon cruise is all you have dreamed. Best Wishes.

I haven't read all of the responses, so this information may be redundant. Any stolen passport should be reported immediately to the nearest US consulate or to the State Department. There is a dual purpose: 1) to protect the owner from identity theft; and 2) to prevent an unauthorized person from using it illegally.

Detailed instructions as well as a toll free number to call are provided by the State Dept here.

The problem with reporting it stolen is that it can't be un-reported, if it's recovered. I decided to let him deal with it because he will have to report it when he goes to the Consulate. Until that time, I'm praying for a miracle that some things might surface.

So easy to wire money to Mexico. Walmart is one way, Western Union another and then any of the many, many wire services in the illegal community in the USA. You live in Tucson-they are all over in any store that primarily serves the illegal Mexican community. There is even one out here in the middle of boonieville (between Harquahala and Hyder that sends all the farm workers money back to Mexico). NO NEED to open a Mexican bank account.

Just need ID to pick up cash although the money will be in pesos. And if he has lived in San Carlos for a number of years and is known in town, should be a piece of cake getting a wire. Copy of passport and DL and he should be good to go. Western Union can even be done over the phone via credit card from almost any place in the world.

I sure wouldn't take the chance of trying to enter the USA with a copy of a passport UNLESS you also have the police report AND the paper they give you when you apply at a consulate for a replacement passport if you don't get one on the spot.

Can't even conjure up a reason why a police report hasn't been made. You sure don't have to mention anything except DL and passport. Credit cards should have already been cancelled (they were lost). Money and back pack-just forget it. So there is truly no reason NOT to report it and it is the law.

Good luck.

Edited by greatam

I never said a police report wasn't made. Of course, he made a police report immediately after it happened. He has not informed the consulate as far as I know. He also had his FM fiscal visa stolen, which is a big deal down there. And, he lost a MAJOR amount of cash. Thankfully, his laptop was at my house so he didn't lose that.

...I'm not sure either of us wants to start a dream vacation by sitting in a crowded DMV office.

I know what you mean, but if you haven't done it before, the process for those with appts. generally goes very quickly. The sitting and waiting is for those without appointments.

Edited by Ryndam2002

Just heard from him. He has a good friend who works with government visas who will drive him up to Hermosillo to get a new passport next week. I didn't want him driving due to his concussion.

Glad it seems to be working out!

Edited by Ryndam2002

I know what you mean, but if you haven't done it before, the process for those with appts. generally goes very quickly. The sitting and waiting is for those without appointments.

Thanks, I'll see if he wants to do it and, if so, make an appointment.

So easy to wire money to Mexico. Walmart is one way, Western Union another and then any of the many, many wire services in the illegal community in the USA. You live in Tucson-they are all over in any store that primarily serves the illegal Mexican community. There is even one out here in the middle of boonieville (between Harquahala and Hyder that sends all the farm workers money back to Mexico). NO NEED to open a Mexican bank account.

Just need ID to pick up cash although the money will be in pesos. And if he has lived in San Carlos for a number of years and is known in town, should be a piece of cake getting a wire. Copy of passport and DL and he should be good to go. Western Union can even be done over the phone via credit card from almost any place in the world.

I sure wouldn't take the chance of trying to enter the USA with a copy of a passport UNLESS you also have the police report AND the paper they give you when you apply at a consulate for a replacement passport if you don't get one on the spot.

Can't even conjure up a reason why a police report hasn't been made. You sure don't have to mention anything except DL and passport. Credit cards should have already been cancelled (they were lost). Money and back pack-just forget it. So there is truly no reason NOT to report it and it is the law.

Good luck.

They aren't going to send someone claiming to be a US citizen away from the border just because they don't have the proper documents. They would send that person to secondary inspection and verify his identity and citizenship via other means (and since he does have a passport that would be the first system they would check). There are no provisions in the law to deny a US citizen entry to his or her own country. They might be subject to a fine depending on the circumstances but they can't be denied entry. Reporting the passport stolen is required but the State Department website doesn't specify a time frame, nor do they require a police report (they say it's helpful but not required).

Just heard from him. He has a good friend who works with government visas who will drive him up to Hermosillo to get a new passport next week. I didn't want him driving due to his concussion.

If you haven't already I suggest that you read the State Department's page regarding lost or stolen passports. It lists the requirements for documents etc. that are needed. (For instance, he has to have a passport photo with him.) Good luck!

Not an answer to the question. Not helpful at all.....

Well, actually, buried in all the opinion was the advice to contact the State dept so it did have some helpful advice which did answer the question.

To OP: I'm glad he has someone to drive him to the embassy. He needs to take a passport photo with him.

Regarding appt at Motor Vehicles Dept in US, not all offices offer that option unless it is for a driving exam in a car.

Edited by NMLady

Well, actually, buried in all the opinion was the advice to contact the State dept so it did have some helpful advice which did answer the question.

To OP: I'm glad he has someone to drive him to the embassy. He needs to take a passport photo with him.

Regarding appt at Motor Vehicles Dept in US, not all offices offer that option unless it is for a driving exam in a car.

California takes appt's for everything :)

All car related stuff can be done at AAA. Unfortunately anything done for a DL has to be in person at a DMV office. Some DMV offices are better than others.

A bit of shutting the barn door after the horses have fled but....

Both DD's use Pacsafe travelsafes for school. Large ones hold their laptops and other stuff. The smallest (6"x8") one holds just their checkbooks, cash, passports etc while traveling.

http://www.pacsafe.com/collections/travelsafe.html

We bought ours at ebags.com and Sportschalet.

travelsafe-5l_10470104.jpg

Yes, he knows about the photos. Another friend is taking him into Guaymas today to get that done.

And, I sent him PDFs of the documents he needs to fill out, so he'll have everything ready when they go up. He also has his birth certificate.

Edited by Laurie S.