Realistic earliest debarkation - Los Angeles / Golden Princess

Tapi

Hi!

I know that there are many factors that can affect the answer to this question but I'm just looking for a consensus. :)

We will be sailing on the Golden Princess out of Los Angeles next month. What's the earliest you've been off the ship at this cruise terminal? I'm trying to coordinate transportation. Thanks for your input!

First time on Princess, last time I sailed from Los Angeles was in 1998!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Edited by Tapi

We have been off as early as 8 am but then again we like breakfast in the dining room before we drive home. :) We also carry off our own luggage.

Edited by waltd

I think a more pertinent question might be how many of us have experienced delays. One we were at least an hour late leaving the ship because of Customs, something I've heard is not uncommon at San Pedro.

I think it all depends. I've seen first disembarkation at 7:30am and I've seen it at 8:30am. What's the "norm"? I don't know. I arrange for transportation at 9:15am because I know I can be off by then but that's driving, not getting to an airport. In checking the disembarkation form from my Sapphire cruise out of San Pedro last March, the earliest independent arrangements time was 8:45. The first "walk off" was 8am.

I think it all depends. I've seen first disembarkation at 7:30am and I've seen it at 8:30am. What's the "norm"? I don't know. I arrange for transportation at 9:15am because I know I can be off by then but that's driving, not getting to an airport. In checking the disembarkation form from my Sapphire cruise out of San Pedro last March, the earliest independent arrangements time was 8:45. The first "walk off" was 8am.

I agree, we got off the Sapphire as you boarded and the first walk off was 7:30 so you just don't know. :eek:

Thank you. These answers give me a good idea! Enjoy the rest of your day. :)

Roads start to clear around 9am.

Now that's a relative term for LA area freeways...clear! :p Driving to WLA this morning it was stop & go most of the way even in late morning & without any accidents or Caltrans closures. ;)

Edited by Astro Flyer

A few cruises ago, the earliest passengers were able to disembark was 8:45am due to customs and immigrations boarding late. And there was only one other ship in port.

We also drive home and when on the Hawaiian cruise, we've hired land transportation (too much luggage for either of our trunks) and found that 9:30 was a good time to tell them (with updating the driver as needed if that wasn't the case).

Now traffic to LAX is another matter. Commuting on the 405 for way too many years and can attest that there isn't such as a thing as "rush hour" as it could be bumper to bumper even in late morning. And even on weekends.

Thank you. These answers give me a good idea! Enjoy the rest of your day. :)

The 9:15am time that Pam recommended is a good time. You might get off starting between 7:30am and 8:00am but there can be problems with Immigration and Customs. We have been delayed disembarking more than 30 minutes because they delayed the time they started processing passengers. Another time the line was backed up all the way to the ship and it was about a 30 minute wait in the line. The better question to have asked was "What was the latest time you were off the ship with walk-off disembarkation?" With walk-off we have been to our car no later than about 9:00am, even with the above delays.

Now that's a relative term for LA area freeways...clear! :p Driving to WLA this morning it was stop & go most of the way even in late morning & without any accidents or Caltrans closures. ;)
Oh, yeah. :) It clears up only if the planets are in alignment, CalTrans hasn't decided to reduce the number of lanes, there's no accident, and it's not a full moon. If it's a "super" moon, all bets are off.

After moving to Southern California from the Chicago suburbs seven years ago, we learned to describe distances not in miles but in hours and that varied depending upon the time of the day :eek: We try our best to avoid doing the 100 mile trip to Santa Monica to visit our kids during "rush hour" and isn't that an oxymoron :eek:

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

• 3 weeks later...

At the Port of Los Angeles, we're usually off between 8:30 and 9:00. Once, however, we got caught up in some sort of Customs/Immigration action & weren't allowed to disembark until nearly 1:00pm! Fortunately, Princess opened one of the pool bars as a "cash bar" and we didn't have the worry of missing/rescheduling a flight. Felt bad for those waiting to board; the terminal was a mess!