What is cabin guarantee?

barney6895

Generally near sailing date, after final payment, lines have several random unsold cabins to fill.

So they open a Guarantee Cabin type within each type (inside, OV, Veranda, Concierge, Aqua and Suite) that they need help filling.

They do not assign you a specific cabin until whenever they feel the need to, sometimes close to when you book, sometimes a week out, sometimes you may not know till you arrive at the pier.

This lets them allow people to book specific cabins till the last minute for the normal cabin fares, and then fill in any random unsold with those in Guarantees into whatever empty cabins remain, often the less desirable for whatever reason, but you never know. Such as across hall from a service door, under the buffet or pool chair storage, next to the engine room and vibration, cabins with obstructed views....

Guarantee fares are almost always lower in price then the current lowest available cabin category within a cabin type.

So you may book Suite GTY for $1200, see Sky Suites selling for $1300, and the PH still open for $20,000, and you may if very, very lucky, find yourself sailing in the Penthouse for $1200! Or you may be in an accessible sky suite no one wanted, but you saved $100.

They can also move guarantees UP in category if they sell them, all, like if you reserve an inside GTY, and they actually sell them all, you may sail in a Veranda as that was the only thing left open once they chose to assign the guarantees.

I just booed my first Guarantee this monday for an inside on Summit for $499 pp sailing Aug 31. I got my cabin assignment yesterday. The next best inside price was $799 pp, so I saved $400 as a solo traveler.

GTY won't be best advice for any people who are very particular about specific cabin and location, but if you are flexible, it's a great way to save money.

How did you book that? Are you sailing with someone? I've always been told that GTY are not available for singles

Funny you mention this.

I was TICKED off I couldn't book it online when it popped up friday night late as a solo, it forced me to the next reserved cabin fare, from $998 ($449 pp) plus taxes to $1798 ($899 pp) plus taxes. I got my Travel agent involved and she got them to honor the singles rate. I booked it on 24 hour hold friday night, and she called saturday to sort it all out, got them to hold it till monday for me in case I found a #2, but then booked and confirmed it solo.

Otherwise I was going to book with a second in the cabin who mysteriously just never arrived....thus I was watching the thread about no shows carefully.....!

From a PH on the Eclipse to an Inside on the Summitt:eek:

Prepare yourself Curt, prepare yourself:D

LOL, I either want it all or nothing. I actually love the complete darkness for sleeping so kind of looking forward to it. Some friend I met on other cruses going have been asking me to come, I told them only if I found a fare under $1000 and then there it was....so I pulled the trigger.

I wil miss the butler though, I do know that. But I survived in Aqua without him in May :D

This disease that is cruising, it's like crack! Whatever it takes for the next hit!

LOL, I either want it all or nothing. I actually love the complete darkness for sleeping so kind of looking forward to it. Some friend I met on other cruses going have been asking me to come, I told them only if I found a fare under $1000 and then there it was....so I pulled the trigger.

I wil miss the butler though, I do know that. But I survived in Aqua without him in May :D

This disease that is cruising, it's like crack! Whatever it takes for the next hit!

We did that last Bermuda cruise two years ago, some kids but not overwhelmed like the rest of the summer.

So you were not able to book the GTY as a single, is that right, Cle-guy? That matches my experience, they will not allow singles to book GYY.

Yes it was finally booked as a solo at the GTY rate but only once my TA got involved with the X reps on the phone.

I will admit I did resort to pulling the "have you reviewed my sailing history" card though...not sure if it helped or not.

Edited by cle-guy

I see all these posts about suite guarantee and cabin guarantee and how people are getting bumped up to pretty nice cabins. Can someone explain this to me?

As others have said, the cruise lines use guarantees for their own flexibility in both cabin assignment and pricing. Cruise line gets the flexibility and the passenger gets a discount.

While it is not uncommon to read reports of people getting an upgraded cabin assignment on guarantees I'd guess the majority just get the minimum cabin category. I think the disparity is because people who get upgraded tend to post that info on these boards more than those that don't posting about getting the minimum.

When you book a guarantee you can always be hopeful for an upgrade but you should also be in a position to be happy with the worst cabin in the guaranteed category.

As others have said, the cruise lines use guarantees for their own flexibility in both cabin assignment and pricing. Cruise line gets the flexibility and the passenger gets a discount.

While it is not uncommon to read reports of people getting an upgraded cabin assignment on guarantees I'd guess the majority just get the minimum cabin category. I think the disparity is because people who get upgraded tend to post that info on these boards more than those that don't posting about getting the minimum.

When you book a guarantee you can always be hopeful for an upgrade but you should also be in a position to be happy with the worst cabin in the guaranteed category.

Good post

And that last statement is the one I live by when I cruise...

Pick a cabin at a cost you can live with in case that is all you end up getting.

We are the opposite end of this scenario... We like to choose a cabin for ourselves... Infact we are very picky.

So we book very early, and pay the going rate for what we want. Then we sit back and watch... Our past cruises (and the 2 we have booked now) all continue to go up in price.

So no regrets for us. We've seen ourselves get price adjustments (on booked cruises before Final Payment) and we've seen ourselves go on cruises where costs have rose... So much so that on one cruise the 2 of us paid combined just slightly less than the cost for one person in the same category !!

In both cases...

We smiled happily... All the way to the bank so to say. :D

Cheers!

Otherwise I was going to book with a second in the cabin who mysteriously just never arrived....thus I was watching the thread about no shows carefully.....!

Hi cle-guy ... I am considering doing this - booking for 2 people at the GTY rate and then only 1 turning up. Have you heard of any pitfalls of doing this? Is there a thread about no shows of this kind?

Thanks

Hi cle-guy ... I am considering doing this - booking for 2 people at the GTY rate and then only 1 turning up. Have you heard of any pitfalls of doing this? Is there a thread about no shows of this kind?

Thanks

Review this thread:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2070069

Seems as if it works....and no pitfalls that I have read about.

Getting upgraded to higher level categories is really not all that common at all. Theoretically, any 'upgrades' to a level higher than the one you booked is completely a random, luck of the draw type of thing. I personally am skeptical - when you hear about upgrades on these boards it is very often a person new to Celebrity. So you may have that going for you. Or I could be completely wrong and the upgrades could truly be by chance. In either case, be sure you would be happy with any cabin in any location at the lowest category in that guarantee before you decide to book.

Some people have had luck changing cabins after theirs is assigned to get a more preferred location - within the specific category only (or perhaps a lower one - not sure). Others have been told no. Although another word of advice - if you are told no by one Celebrity customer service agent, it often pays to call back. You may be told something different.