Help me choose, Explorer or Carnival Splendor

Narrowed it down to two cruises I can book for New years. Help me choose. Sailed on both carnival and RCCl before but not these ships. I think I like Explorer more on ship features but the Itinerary more for Carnival Splendor. Hard choices.

Explorer 8 night eastern- labadee, san juan, st croix, st marten, From Orlando

Or

Carnival Splendor eastrn- Nassau, san juan, St Thomas, Grand turk. From Miami

Explorer leaves from Orlando saving about $200 a person on plane ticket. Flying into FLL or MIA cost about $200 more than Orlando. But Splendor cost about $200 less a person then Explorer. So it evens out. Both itineraries look good.

How is the Explorer holding up? Since its going into dry dock early next year.

Thanks

Edited by glituner32

I've sailed on Explorer for the previous 4 Octobers & we'll be on her again this coming October, so my opinion is def biased. I love this ship. For her age, she still sparkles. But mostly what I love about her is her crew. They make everywhere you go a party. Service is always fun. I don't know if the crew will be staying on in Bayonne to staff Quantum when she arrives, or heading down to Port Canaveral. perhaps someone else can answer that, but as far as the condition of the boat herself, she's in good shape, imo. Especially the public areas... The cabins are a little tired as one would expect for a ship her age but the mattress in the cabin I've been in the last 2 years was great & the tv was new, flat panel. The housekeeping staff keeps it spotless even if the decor is a bit dated.

We'll miss her when she leaves Bayonne, that's for sure...

Rosie

Edited by browneyedgirlnb

Explorer leaves from Orlando saving about $200 a person on plane ticket. Flying into FLL or MIA cost about $200 more than Orlando. But Splendor cost about $200 less a person then Explorer. So it evens out. Both itineraries look good.

Dont forget the cost of your transfers from the Orlando airport to Port Canaveral.

...How is the Explorer holding up? Since its going into dry dock early next year.

Thanks

We sailed on Explorer twice last year and thought she was in excellent condition. The crew is outstanding.

I was on the Splendor in January and Explorer in April, tough choice.

We enjoyed both, I would probably pick my favorite itinerary between the two.

ETA: Yes if the "look" of the ship matters, the Splendor is a quite interesting pink with these round circles. It wasn't the most attractive decor, some people can't get past that.

Edited by stsnfes

Just got off the explorer yesterday nice crowds but to me it had more of a resort feel than island feel if that makes sense. My room definitely needed some tender loving care do I would have to say the splendor

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I have sailed both. We sail mostly on Carnival as we love everything about Carnival but I have to tell you The Splendor was our worst cruise. The staff was rude, the ship itself not up to par with other Carnival ships. More than half the people on our roll call was unhappy. It was not until we came home that I saw the reviews and most of them not favorable :(

Before I am bashed let me answer your question that always follows any negative thing said..Yes we went to guest service when our server left our ashtray uncleaned for 3 days on the balcony and when we arrived for dining at exactly six and our starters didn't come until 6:45 and when I asked the waiter what was going on as the food was coming out unusually slow he said relax it's coming..yes my roll call buddy went to guest services after a server humiliated him in front of everyone in the theater. And yes guest services was notified when a roll call buddy asked a server can I ask you a question and he said NO too busy and walked away!

Another big pet peeve of mine was we always book a balcony because I enjoy late nights out there by myself and reading. This was our first balcony ever where we were not allowed any lights on the balcony. When I asked guest services about it they told me it was the ships policy to keep all balcony lights off at night.

Of course this is the RC board so. . .

Just off Explorer (again) and it is showing its age for sure. The crew was out chiseling and fixing while we were on board, but still, carpets, etc. are in need of replacement at this point in its life.

We are on Splendor next month.

Edited by mizlorinj

I would pass on both.

You should try to find something else..

Don't worry, never found a helpful post from him.

Now, I would choose the Explorer for the reason that the Splendor has a very common itinerary, however finding st. croix as part of a caribbean route is extremely rare unless you leave from san juan. But whichever you use, have fun !!!

I would definitely say Explorer. I hear she's in need of a little TLC, but I recently returned from the Splendor and while we had a good time, I would definitely choose EOS over Splendor. The food was awful on the Splendor. In both the buffet, which I only visted once, which was enough, as well as the MDR. Shows are nowhere near as good and the overall atmosphere is just not as classy. No adult only pool area such as the Solarium, which is very helpful during winter, and no live band on the pool deck. Enjoy whichever sailing you choose.