Is this the end of Pol Aker?

Lanky Lad

I have just taken part in a survey from Cunard and it included lots of questions about the free wine. Have they finally realised that no-one likes Pol Aker?

One would think they would have got the message from all the unopened bottles left in staterooms. I assume all the Ackerhaters don't open it?

(For the record - on my only cunard trip so far we did drink it - not great to be sure but not undrinkable either. Perhaps our judgement was affected by the excitement of sailaway)

Funny store about "Pol". Several years ago we did a QM2 cruise to the Caribbean out of NY. We of course, joined in on the roll call. Several people commented that their Pol would just stay unopened in their cabin, unless someone wanted it. I said we'd be happy to take a bottle as we used it for Mimosas. When it came time for our meet and mingle, there were probably 6 or more people toting bottles of Pol.........they were looking for the "people who make the mimosas.." Had to giggle over that one!

Makes a fairly decent mimosa! haha!

We also use it for mimosas. We bring a "flip-top" stopper and it lasts a couple of days.

416m%2BU1kejL.jpg

HAL gave us a bottle of sparkling wine (Pol something) and it blew off that kind of stopper in a matter of minutes. We had to use the cork "cage" to hold the stopper in place.

OMG! I wish I'd saved a bottle. It could become a collector's item!!!

And if they do away with Pol Axer, what will we have to joke about?!?!?

On our recent cruise on QV we didn't get dear ole Pol Hacker - it was some other stuff but, sadly, I wasn't sufficiently interested to take note of the name.

J

End of Pol Acker? :eek:

(Note to self: Better obtain some on-board next month, maybe from one of the better vintages (the '06 should be ready by now). See if there are spare bottles lying around, ask the stewards. After all, once this source is gone, what will I do? Those drains won't unblock themselves)

:D

I have just taken part in a survey from Cunard and it included lots of questions about the free wine. Have they finally realised that no-one likes Pol Aker?

I would be glad if somebody would tell mw what POL AKER is, I presume it is a drink, but not being a wine drinker I have no idea?:confused:

I would be glad if somebody would tell mw what POL AKER is, I presume it is a drink, but not being a wine drinker I have no idea?
Hi luckymal,

If it is still available next time you board you'd be fine to try some (;)) as the one thing Pol Acker isn't, is any form of wine known to man :D :rolleyes: :)

Best wishes :)

Oh gosh! I hope they don't do away with PA. I actually quite like it, and as said before, it is perfectly fine for using as unpacking juice, as well as the other uses mentioned. It's all part of the tradition. Cunard makes a big thing of honouring traditions, I think it would be a mistake to do away with it, unless they change it for VC..............I could certainly go for that :) I can't see that happening however.

One would think they would have got the message from all the unopened bottles left in staterooms. I assume all the Ackerhaters don't open it?

I used to give it to my housekeeper. She would certainly miss it.

End of Pol Acker? :eek:

(Note to self: Better obtain some on-board next month, maybe from one of the better vintages (the '06 should be ready by now). See if there are spare bottles lying around, ask the stewards. After all, once this source is gone, what will I do? Those drains won't unblock themselves)

:D

Is that a hint you would like me to save mine for you? I don't drink and I've always met someone who mentions it and I tell them I would be delighted to pass on my bottle.

Hi luckymal' date='

If it is still available next time you board you'd be fine to try some (;)) as the one thing Pol Acker isn't, is any form of wine known to man :D :rolleyes: :)

Best wishes :)[/quote']

Is Pol Acker the free bottle to greet you back in your cabin, We have done over 40 Cruises with Cunard and never opened the bottle we give it to any person who wants it.:confused:

Is Pol Acker the free bottle to greet you back in your cabin, We have done over 40 Cruises with Cunard and never opened the bottle we give it to any person who wants it.:confused:
That's the one.

When I have tried giving the bottle away I've had various responses:

"What have we done to offend you?"

"Actually, I was about to offer you our bottle"

"Keep that bottle away from me or I call security"

"Um, yes please, are you sure? Thank you so much" *

Best wishes to you :) .

( * This was from my neighbours in the next cabin. Strangely I never saw them the rest of the cruise. Or heard them, although they were only next door... odd :confused: )

Edited by pepperrn

Is that a hint you would like me to save mine for you? I don't drink and I've always met someone who mentions it and I tell them I would be delighted to pass on my bottle.
Yes please! :)

Thank you, you think of everything! :)

See you next month :)