Group Cruises - Are there perks?

szdiver

I was just curious if anyone knows what, if any, perks are involved with a group cruise. We have been transferred to a "group" on our cruise by our TA, and there doesn't appear to be any benefit from this. Anyone else been there?

Thanks for any info.....

Sounds to me like your TA is trying to get the benefits of lower prices. Many TAs book many clients together as a large group to get lower prices. Usually this means nothing to you (except maybe the price if they pass it on.) I have friends that fell into this once and the TA just pocketed the discount as part of their commission. Never heard what happened after my friends found this out.

Does this make sense?

I was just curious if anyone knows what, if any, perks are involved with a group cruise. We have been transferred to a "group" on our cruise by our TA, and there doesn't appear to be any benefit from this. Anyone else been there?

Thanks for any info.....

Tell your TA that you want in on the group perks!!!!!! $100 Cabin Credit or Bottle of wine every night but you feel you should get something!!! Tell her The folks on Cruise Critics said so.. If they balk at this tell them you are going to start booking with CC and not them any more,,, that you should get something for the group rate booking!!!

Ahh.. if it were that easy, Chucksta:( :rolleyes: ... Most large agency block group space on their preferred cruise partners throughout the year on numerous cruises and 99% of the time the passengers don't realize it is a "group"... the type of groups we do here on CC are completely different from that. Unless the group that the original poster refers to was set up by people they are traveling with through that agency the group thing doesn't really work the same way..

that being said we DO have some great groups through CC!

• 10 months later...

As a travel agent myself - I often will book clients into a "group" to get a discount for the client. If there aren't more than 5 cabins booked - the only advantage probably is just the discounted price (which can sometimes be pretty significant). If there are more than 5 cabins - then you might get a shipboard credit or bottle of wine or something. I always pass any "freebies" on to my clients - isn't that what customer service is all about?

• 4 weeks later...

Our TA is a franchise. they book "groups" for the price break.

some of this is passed on to us in the cost, and the past two cruises we have gotten a 100$ s&s credit and a bottle of bubbly.

we dont drink the stuff (prefer stronger).

i think this year i will pick a young couple and give them something to celebrate with.

• 3 months later...

Most of the time booking with a group is just a savings from the cost of the cruise.

But if you are booking WITHa group often other things may come with it. As mentioned credit on board, free wine, and often special other perks for the group such as private parties, open bar times, group rooms, group excursions, special seating for dinner.

It all depends on how it is set up. Although all those perks cost $$$, so you may end up paying more for the cruise than you would have by going without the group.

Unless you are traveling during a peak travel period such as Christmas, Spring Break, or July and August, you should probably be getting some form of a group perk.

For groups of 16 or more on a 7 day cruise, you are probably looking at about $100 per cabin onboard credit and possibly a free one category upgrade or cocktail party.

It is true that Travel Agents do have the option never to tell you about these perks and just take an extra commission instead. If you are using a reputable agent, however, they should be giving you the perks and not be taking the extra commissions for themselves.

Archived