Advice on trains from Milan to Venice

NANCYR2

Will be in Milan for several days before our cruise out of Venice. We are planning on taking the train from Milan to Venice on a Wednesday. Do we need to purchase our train tickets in advance of our arrival in Milan?

Nancy

I would probably just buy the tickets on your first day in Milan. That's what we usually do, get them a day or two before so we don't have to stand in line the date of our journey and we know exactly what time we need to get to the station.

OTOH you might get a significantly reduced price by buying them in advance so that's something to consider. I have bought tickets before and just printed out my voucher and used it in a machine at the train station in Italy along with my credit card that I used to purchase the tickets and it's worked well.

Check trenitalia.com for schedules and pricing.

The trenitalia website is easy to use, and I believe you can save a considerable amount of money by purchasing approximately 90 days in advance. We paid 38 Euros for two tickets from Venice to Milan last September, a very good price IMO.

Also, we had friends from the same cruise who did not purchase their Venice to Florence tickets in advance and although they arrived at the station at 8 AM, they were unable to get seats until a mid-afternoon train.

Often the high speed trains in Italia are booked out several days in advance .

To be safe book pre book your e-tickets including seat reservations (compulsory) on the Trenitalia website before you leave home.

FROM station is : Milano Centrale TO station is : Venezia - St.Lucia

Your e-tickets will include the seat reservations and be date and time specific . As such these tickets do not need to be validated before boarding .

Edited by kuldalai

To be safe book pre book your e-tickets including seat reservations (compulsory) on the Trenitalia website before you leave home.

Your e-tickets will include the seat reservations and be date and time specific . As such these tickets do not need to be validated before boarding .

Does your luggage( 2 suitcases) stay with you or is there a luggage areas?

Does your luggage( 2 suitcases) stay with you or is there a luggage areas?

Depends on how large your bags are; I can lift my Osprey Sojourn 25" (25x13x14) bag up onto the overhead rack (they are open racks, not enclosed like an airline overhead). Anything larger than that, or if you pack too heavy for you to lift overhead, they do have larger luggage racks at the ends of each train car.

Is there a big difference in 1st class and 2nd class tickets? I just found the seats in 2nd class for 37e for the two of us.

Is there a big difference in 1st class and 2nd class tickets? I just found the seats in 2nd class for 37e for the two of us.

IMO, not at all, just wider seats. That is a very good price; go ahead and book it. I left my large suitcase on the luggage rack at the end of the car and kept my eye on it during the stops. Smaller luggage can go on the rack above your seats.

No ticket validation required; just give them to the conductor when he comes by. Also be sure to sit in your assigned seat; others boarding at other stops may have reserved the seats that are open.

Edited by CintiPam

We took the train from Venice Mestre to Milan a few years ago and really enjoyed the trip. We booked when the tickets first came out and got them at a very good price. I think they were 19 e each but they might have been less. There are certain trains that are guaranteed to run even if there is a strike. I suggest you look into that as Italy is known for that. Good thing they are announced in advance

Not a big difference between First & Economy . Basically First is 2 and 1 wide, Economy is 2 and 2 wide . Leg room similar . Luggage racks for lerger bags at ends of cars and also mid car. Overhead racks for smaller bags and items .

Old Italian joke : "Whats the difference between First & Second Class ?"

Answer "The colour of the upholstery !!! "

I thoroughly enjoyed that train trip. Actually, any Freccia trains (bianca, rossa, cargento) are comfortable. Your train will be the Frecciabianca. Power socket so you can use your tablet or Mp3 player. Grab an espresso. Load up with Andrea Bocelli tunes before the trip - it's just so relaxing to listen to him sing as you go across the Italian Countryside!!!!

If you buy your tickets in advance and get them either via printer on e-ticket, you don't have to validate at the station. double-check the fares - sometimes you can get the 1st class super economy fare very reasonable. But, 2nd class is quite fine.

Enjoy!!!