Milk(?) in the Windjammer

I was on the Vision this past week and hoped to have cereal on occasion and have milk with our meals. I discovered gone was the good old "school milk cartons" we all had while in school and had been replaced by a type of milk that doesn't need refrigeration. The "fake" milk was awful!

The taste was NOT like real milk.

My question of "is this fleet wide now" couldn't be answered by the WJ staff.

Does anyone know if this "fake" milk is on the Allure or Indy or do we still have the option of real milk?

I was on the Vision this past week and hoped to have cereal on occasion and have milk with our meals. I discovered gone was the good old "school milk cartons" we all had while in school and had been replaced by a type of milk that doesn't need refrigeration. The "fake" milk was awful!

Does anyone know if this "fake" milk is on the Allure or Indy or do we still have the option of real milk?

I hope not......I like my milk cold and I also like skim milk. Did they have that?

Gwen :)

Haven't been on a cruise in a couple years so I don't know. Is the milk you are referring to UHT milk? If you don't know it probably is. That is the milk that doesn't need refrigeration because it is heated to. Much higher temperature than regular pasturized milk so it has a longer shelf life usually 6 months or more until it is opened. It is real milk but I have heard before that it does have a different taste. Some say it tastes burnt. I've never had it and I like my milk also. Guess I will see on my cruise next week. Sorry you didn't get to enjoy your usual milk.

I have to say I had this milk on the Freedom and had no problem with it at all. Unlike what the OP posted, this is, indeed, REAL milk. The taste was fine. I was drinking the whole milk rather than the low fat so maybe that makes a difference. I drink milk daily and, to me, the taste was very good. Yes, there was a slight difference in taste due to the Maillard reaction, but it was, by no means, bad. Of course...tastes are subjective depending on the individual..

However, I have also gotten milk in the Windjammer that has soured and have heard of many cases where someone is complaining because the milk they took back to their cabin went bad because the "refrigerator" did not keep it cool enough. I would MUCH rather have the UHT milk than taking a big swig of soured.

Sometimes...I think a lot of it is in the mind rather than the taste buds.

As for being fleet-wide, I had it on freedom but did not have it on Radiance about 6 months later. So...I suppose you just have to take a chance.

Last month on the Explorer they had the milk cartons.

I hope they do this month too. Will be on the Explorer Aug. 28th. I need my daily dose of milk for breakfast.

Someone said that the "fridge" in the cabin didn't keep the milk cold....of course not, it isn't a fridge, it's just a cooler. Won't keep things cold for long.

I hope they do this month too. Will be on the Explorer Aug. 28th. I need my daily dose of milk for breakfast.

Someone said that the "fridge" in the cabin didn't keep the milk cold....of course not, it isn't a fridge, it's just a cooler. Won't keep things cold for long.

A trick we have found helpful is to drape a hand towel on the outside door that hides the Fridge

(and tell your stateroom attendant not to remove the towel or close the otter door).

Reason being that any cooling device does not make cold- it transfer heat from one place to another.

It takes the heat from inside the Fridge and dumps it onto the grid in the back of the Fridge, and then into the air.

When the outer door is closed it traps the heat inside the cubicle and the transfer of heat is hampered.

Give it a try, I always felt that the Fridge got cooler and you are correct -too cold it will never get.

While I appreciate everyone's opinions and thoughts, I'm only interested in finding out if the regular school type milk cartons are available on the Allure and the Indy when she returns to Ft Lauderdale.

Everyone has different tastes and I found the "new" milk to be distasteful and could not drink it.

We were on the Freedom last month, and they had cartons of chocolate, skim, and either whole or 2%. If I recall correctly, the milk was Borden's. That was a bit of a surprise, since I the Borden's brand was no longer used for fluid milk.

I didn't read all your responses, but that was bad. :(

We just got off the Freedom of the Seas the end of April, and as far as I know, they had the carton milk. The reason I say this, I work for Dairy Farmers of America, and we purchase milk from the farmers, so I was just curious if they had milk in the buffet area.

While I appreciate everyone's opinions and thoughts, I'm only interested in finding out if the regular school type milk cartons are available on the Allure and the Indy when she returns to Ft Lauderdale.

Everyone has different tastes and I found the "new" milk to be distasteful and could not drink it.

Radiance had normal Milk too, chocolate, 2% and skim.

The UHT milk does not taste much different if you refrigerate it...when at room temp milk tastes weird.

Edited by robandana

We were on the Freedom last month, and they had cartons of chocolate, skim, and either whole or 2%. If I recall correctly, the milk was Borden's. That was a bit of a surprise, since I the Borden's brand was no longer used for fluid milk.

It seems this milk is also UHT...http://www.bordenshelfstablemilk.com/borden/borden_BQ.htm :eek:

Radiance had normal Milk too, chocolate, 2% and skim.

The UHT milk does not taste much different if you refrigerate it...when at room temp milk tastes weird.

I guess I will just have to put ice in my milk, if that is the case. I can't drink milk at room temp.:eek: