Disappointed in Carnival customer service

tiggrbaby

We booked on the Fascination at the beginning of the month for the 8/25 cruise with Carnival. The agent assured us the price would not go lower, and if it did to call back and they would work something out. Well, the price did and DH called. Apparently Carnival's agent's word was worthless. The only thing they would do was move us from the HA cabin they had us in (we don't need it and I only discovered it was one through CC). I was thinking a shipboard credit for the difference, but they wouldn't budge. It would be a small gesture but would bring such goodwill. Right now I am not feeling very positive towards Carnival!

Too bad you didn't get an agent that knew the fare codes a little better. Or you didn't do a little research on fares.

Looks like you've cruised on other lines. Do they only have one fare code?

On Carnival, the only fare that will get you prices drops after final payment is Early Saver.

You booked less than a month out, so ES wasn't available.

Edited by KenMo

What made you thing an agent would know if prices would go up or down????

No one knows for sure, blame yourself!!!:cool:

True; I will never book a Carnival cruise more than a week in advance again!

Too bad you didn't get an agent that knew the fare codes a little better. Or you didn't do a little research on fares.

Looks like you've cruised on other lines. Do they only have one fare code?

On Carnival, the only fare that will get you prices drops after final payment is Early Saver.

We usually cruise NCL or DCL. We have never had a problem with price drop without some sort of compensation, although it usually never drops.

On Carnival the only people that EVER get price drops after final payment are the ES bookings.

It's rare that the price drops in the last month before the cruise, but she did just say to call back and something could be worked out.......that something was the cabin change which presumably was an upgrade.....

The agent did exactly what she said she would do, you just assumed based on your inexperience with Carnival that it would be an OBC.

Tiggrbaby, I am a bit confused. I have never sailed NCL, but are you saying if I pay $1,000 pp for a balcony room on NCL, and a month before sailing they have a sail and the price drops to $700 that NCL will credit me with the difference?

I thought all the cruise lines made you stick with the price after final payment.

On Carnival the only people that EVER get price drops after final payment are the ES bookings.

It's rare that the price drops in the last month before the cruise, but she did just say to call back and something could be worked out.......that something was the cabin change which presumably was an upgrade.....

The agent did exactly what she said she would do, you just assumed based on your inexperience with Carnival that it would be an OBC.

Actually, we went from a 4E to a 4C so it would not be a HA cabin.

Tiggrbaby, I am a bit confused. I have never sailed NCL, but are you saying if I pay $1,000 pp for a balcony room on NCL, and a month before sailing they have a sail and the price drops to $700 that NCL will credit me with the difference?

I thought all the cruise lines made you stick with the price after final payment.

We've always been able to book NCL through Costco and the price was always lower even at the end.

Thanks for the reply, but you did not answer my question. Does NCL allow you to get OBC for price drops after final payment? According to your original post it does, but I went to the NCL board and found several posts that say after final payment NCL DOES NOT give OBC for price drops.

Thanks for the reply, but you did not answer my question. Does NCL allow you to get OBC for price drops after final payment? According to your original post it does, but I went to the NCL board and found several posts that say after final payment NCL DOES NOT give OBC for price drops.

Sorry, that was Disney that we got an OBC for.

We've always been able to book NCL through Costco and the price was always lower even at the end.

OK so you didn't get any OBC, after final payment? Then what was your comment in post 4 about with "compensation"?

Frankly you made wrong assumptions. NONE of the crusielines with late booking are going to reprice you, because the price drops the next week, sorry, and your purchase is fixed.

Waiting until the week prior, can yield great discounts, so if that is your priority, then that may be the way to go. you need a lot of flexibility and the acceptance of not going.

We booking a Carnival cruise we always book as far ahead as possible. That way we have a better chance to get the cabin we want. We always book early saver. Thirteen of our last fifteen cruises had price drops that gave us on board credit.

We try not to book within 70 days of the cruise because early saver is not available and the prices have been more than months out.

Not necessarily so. I saw a price drop two days ago for our upcoming cruise. Originally booked under military rate with a $25pp OBC. Price went down after final payment. I called and stayed in the same cabin, still military rate, and got us $145 OBC. We lost the promotional $25pp but still made $95 in the deal.

I would call again (late night always seems better) and just state the the rates went down and you were wondering if they'd do a price adjustment.

Good luck! Hope it works out for you!!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Why is it that people expect an OBC when price drops and they haven't booked that fare. I booked ES and have to give my deposit to Carnival a minimum of FIVE months prior to sailing to have this feature with my booking. Along with that I am locked in for making and switches without a penalty.

Why would you get this when you only booked a month out. Personally I wish Carnival would never make these exceptions and give people OBC because they make a stink. Maybe I should call and ask for interest on my money as an OBC.

Personally, I think that it is quite generous that people have the option to get upgraded. What do the airlines do???

The poster may have "misinterpreted" what they agent said in this case but it is always posted as bad customer service on Carnival's part for adhering to rules as outlined.

Why is it that people expect an OBC when price drops and they haven't booked that fare. I booked ES and have to give my deposit to Carnival a minimum of FIVE months prior to sailing to have this feature with my booking. Along with that I am locked in for making and switches without a penalty.

Why would you get this when you only booked a month out. Personally I wish Carnival would never make these exceptions and give people OBC because they make a stink. Maybe I should call and ask for interest on my money as an OBC.

Personally, I think that it is quite generous that people have the option to get upgraded. What do the airlines do???

The poster may have "misinterpreted" what they agent said in this case but it is always posted as bad customer service on Carnival's part for adhering to rules as outlined.

You nailed it

We booking a Carnival cruise we always book as far ahead as possible. That way we have a better chance to get the cabin we want. We always book early saver. Thirteen of our last fifteen cruises had price drops that gave us on board credit.

We try not to book within 70 days of the cruise because early saver is not available and the prices have been more than months out.

How you do your bookings is your choice. I don't see how it relates to this thread;)

True; I will never book a Carnival cruise more than a week in advance again!

We usually cruise NCL or DCL. We have never had a problem with price drop without some sort of compensation, although it usually never drops.

DCL does not always give a price adjustment after final payment. If you've paid (full price) and then they offer an IGT/OGT/VGT discounted rate, they don't give you OBC. Your only chance is to cancel, pay the penalty and rebook (which sometimes can still be worth it because some of those rates are very good).