QE2 - January 3, 2006 - Six Day Crossing

eroller

Doug, yes, it was meant as a compliment to all of us

Yes, I know. And methinks we brave souls deserve it :) .

Doug, did those flash promo prices include air to London?

Yes, they do. And incidentally, it would seem that those fares (or very similar ones) have been extended and are still around. I know someone (not a member of this site) who just booked an M3 for $799 including air. So if anyone out there is interested and still not booked yet, get in touch with a good travel agent... The deals are still out there.

According to the Cunard website, QE2 is making the westbound crossing from Southampton to NY April 21-27, 2007,at the end of the 2007 World Cruise.

I hadn't realized this before - so she's making two crossings next year!

One wonders where she goes from Ft. Lauderdale?

QE2's Silver Anniversary World Cruise.

Silver Anniversary? Hasn't she been doing world cruises since the '70s? Surely she has been for longer than 25 years, anyway...

You're so right, Ernie, that's why I've made postings the past three days of what I've been told, each of those days, by Cunard LA reservationist when attempting to obtain my room number.

I know ... I've been reading your comment and chuckling. It is rather frustrating. Who knows, maybe the reason you don't have a cabin yet is because you will receive an amazing upgrade! I think you deserve it for being tortured like this by Cunard reservations! ;) Think "Queen's Grill"! ;)

Good luck with your attempt tomorrow.

Ernie

Yes, they do. And incidentally, it would seem that those fares (or very similar ones) have been extended and are still around. I know someone (not a member of this site) who just booked an M3 for $799 including air. So if anyone out there is interested and still not booked yet, get in touch with a good travel agent... The deals are still out there.

As of today, the Flash Promo has been extended to November 23. Of course it can be retracted at anytime due to the ship filling up or air lift problems. I don't think the ship will fill up, but I do think there could be some air issues if enough people book. January 2nd is a very popular travel date, and many flights to Europe are already very full.

I would imagine it would be easier to fill the ship up with Europeans as getting air back to Europe after the crossing is much less difficult. No doubt Cunard is trying their best (with mixed results) on both sides of the pond. Lets face it, most people aren't crazy enough to take a North Atlantic crossing in January! ;)

Ernie

I have just read the last few pages of entries.

On the very rough crossing of April 2004 (19-25) the deadlights were only used on deck 5. I am aware from personal experience of about ten minutes in a deck 2 Q3 that the seas were high enough then to crash against the porthole at that level.

More impressively, the waves were at one point going over the bridge - not just spray, but huge quantities of water! Quite scary!

It seems that the crossing from Southampton to New York as part of the three week autumn New England/Canada crossing has been missed - it was a New York-Southampton this year as part of "Canadian Crossing" - and a jolly wonderful cruise that was too!

I know ... I've been reading your comment and chuckling. It is rather frustrating. Who knows, maybe the reason you don't have a cabin yet is because you will receive an amazing upgrade! I think you deserve it for being tortured like this by Cunard reservations! ;) Think "Queen's Grill"! ;)

Good luck with your attempt tomorrow.

Ernie

Of course I tried to find out today which room I'll spend the first eight days of 2006 in. Still no luck!

Although today's reservationist did not attempt to tell me when that information might be available. She said it wasn't assigned yet, and was there anything else she could help me with! Straight to the point and business like, perhaps Cunard LA could use some more like her!

Dolphin Hotel? Someone posted this-I booked it-cancellable. Looked like a very good location, so I could get up early and see the QE2 sail into the harbor. Then, I went to trip advisor. The reviews are HORRIBLE. Anyone actually stay there? Should I cancel? Suggestions if I should cancel??

We arrive LHR Jan 2 at noon- straight to Southampton. I have either been quoted or seen posted car service rates from Heathrow to Southampton from 55GBP to 240GBP for a Lincoln Town Car type vehicle for two people and luggage. THAT is a BIG difference. Obviously, I would like to save some money. But also want to make sure I get the best for my money. And is private car the best way to get there? I really wanted the Orient Express train, but guess that doesn't run for the QE2. Should I take the regular train? I am interested in a leisurely trip-seeing some of the countryside. No need to rush anyplace. Suggestions???

Should I take the regular train? I am interested in a leisurely trip-seeing some of the countryside. No need to rush anyplace. Suggestions???

A regular train trip will involve two changes - generally via Reading - I would not describe such a trip as 'leisurely'. Train information can be found here: http://www.thetrainline.com/

There is a direct coach every hour from Heathrow to Southampton - £13/adult - you can check timetables and book here: http://www.nationalexpress.com/home/hp.cfm

Peter

I have received my flights today. No crazy schedule on the way over, straight from Halifax to London. On the way back, Newark to Toronto, then to Halifax. Not bad overall, but the 1.5 hours to get into Toronto, get luggage, through customs, change terminals, check in and get to the next gate could be fun! Guess I had better plan for another day off from work!

Peter:

As we sit now, a little over six weeks until sailing day, any prediction on weather for our crossing ???

Shall we make it interesting by having a martini on the line ???

My guess is that our first full day out in the Atlantic we'll have some rough weather with wave height reaching 25 feet.

Tom:rolleyes:

Tom,

The UK Met Office are predicting a colder than average winter for the UK, based on weaker westerlies, blowing warmer air from the Americas, and stronger Easterlies, blowing cold air from Europe (I could get political, but I won't). That would suggest a calmer than average crossing...:( IF I have understood the Met Office Correctly - see here: http://www.met-office.gov.uk/research/seasonal/regional/nao/index.html

However, since they admit to only 60% accuracy I'm willing to stake a Dry Martini - maximum wind force we encounter is 7.

Peter

[quote name='guernseyguy']Tom,

I'm willing to stake a Dry Martini - maximum wind force we encounter is 7.

Peter[/quote]

Peter:

You have yourself a deal, a Dry Martini it is !!!

To be honest, I like [B]your[/B] odds better, however if we get my prediction I think that many of the fanatics (myself included !!) will be happy...

Of course, the drink would have nothing to do with any state of euphoria people might detect in me in such conditions !!!

Tom

GreatAm....

Contact Cheryl or Bryan at [url]www.woodfordchauffeurcars.co.uk[/url]

They are frequent cruisers themselves and very friendly towards Cruise Critic members. They are headquartered just outside Southampton and will take you anywhere you want to go.

[quote]... so I could get up early and see the QE2 sail into the harbor.[/quote]

Just a word - be prepared to get up [B]very[/B] early to view this magnificent sight. (We have never been [I]quite[/I] early enough. However, we plan to persist!) In June we were at the waterfront (in Hythe) hoping to see the Mary sail up Southampton Water before doing her turn prior to docking. It was around 4:45 am and she was almost ready to arrive at her berth. It was still an unforgettable sight - with all her lights on she looked like a jewel sparkling in the semi-darkness.

We have also missed seeing QE2 do the same and were told that sometimes the ships arrive early if the tide is on the way in. Judging from our limited experience I think it's safe to say that by 6 a.m. she will already be at the terminal.

[quote name='tandemtourer']
We have also missed seeing QE2 do the same and were told that sometimes the ships arrive early if the tide is on the way in. Judging from our limited experience I think it's safe to say that by 6 a.m. she will already be at the terminal.[/quote]

Rebecca:

You're right, it's a little unpredictable as to exactly when the ship will arrive.

Last December, the morning of our departure for NY, my wife and I got up early (5:30 AM) to see QE2 come up Southampton Water and tie up at the Queen Elizabeth II Terminal. We positioned ourselves at the end of the big curving pier/parking lot (Town Quay is it ??) between the Red Funnel and Hythe ferry facilities - a wonderful vantage point I might add. It was dark, cold, breezy [B]- and [/B]WELL WORTH getting up for.

If anyone is interested in doing this, get up early, give yourself a little extra cushion of time. You won't regret it.

Tom

Transatlantic Tom - will you and Jan be watching QE2 arrive in Southampton for this crossing? We will be at the Marina village in Hythe trying to capture her arrival on videotape. BTW I think you have suggested the perfect combination of cc meeting times and places, please notify if there is a change in plans. As I understand it on day of sailing we will plan to meet in the Chart Room at 10 p.m. and the first day at sea in the Princess Grill Bar at 6 or thereabouts.

Could there be any better experience - reading Cruise Critic while anticipating a memorable crossing, watching the departure of a ship from the NYPST in Manhattan while watching the movie Titanic on televison?

Greatam - I remember having read a discussion regarding Southampton hotels. If you do a search in this group you might find some interesting information. On a post from September 29, 2004 originated by jonmar there is a fairly comprehensive discussion regarding hotels and optimal locations for viewing the arrival of our beautiful lady.

[quote name='greatam']Dolphin Hotel? Someone posted this-I booked it-cancellable. Looked like a very good location, so I could get up early and see the QE2 sail into the harbor. Then, I went to trip advisor. The reviews are HORRIBLE. Anyone actually stay there? Should I cancel? Suggestions if I should cancel??
QUOTE]

I've stayed at the Dolphin Hotel. If you're just looking for a place to sleep and have breakfast it's fine. The rooms are clean, but certainly not anything to write home about. They'll arrange a taxi to the pier for you and are otherwise very helpful with local issues. That said, the rooms that face the street are very noisy when the clubs and pubs are open!

Julia

can i just add that most hotels ever reviewed on trip advisor are terrible ones according to the contributors...it doeesnt seem that people like to put complimentary reports there...only people with an axe to grind., Ive had a number of hotels that Ive booked and found terrible reviews to find on arriving at the hotel that most of the complaints Ive read about did not match my experience.

[quote name='tandemtourer']Transatlantic Tom - will you and Jan be watching QE2 arrive in Southampton for this crossing? We will be at the Marina village in Hythe trying to capture her arrival on videotape.

BTW I think you have suggested the perfect combination of cc meeting times and places, please notify if there is a change in plans. As I understand it on day of sailing we will plan to meet in the Chart Room at 10 p.m. and the first day at sea in the Princess Grill Bar at 6 or thereabouts.

[/quote]

Rebecca:

Yes, Jan and I will most definitely be up before the crack of dawn on January 3rd, at Town Quay on the Southampton side, waiting for our ship to arrive. We'll wave to you and captaintandem over in Hythe !!!

It was quite a dramatic experience last year, seeing QE2 slowly moving closer to us, ablaze with lights in the darknes of early morning. She kept approaching as if she'd continue up the River Test, but then of course swung around to starboard, and finally tied up at the terminal. Well worth getting up for !!

As for our CC meetings aboard ship they will indeed be fabulous. Peter, John, Host Doug, Ernie - and many others - have made many helpful suggestions that have gotten us to where we are....so far no one seems to have any major objections, therefore it looks as if the two meeting times/places pass muster !!

January 3rd (Sailing Day), 10 PM - The Chart Room
January 4th (First day at sea), 7 PM - The Princess Grill Bar/Champagne Bar

Tom

[quote name='greatam']Dolphin Hotel? Someone posted this-I booked it-cancellable. Looked like a very good location, so I could get up early and see the QE2 sail into the harbor. Then, I went to trip advisor. The reviews are HORRIBLE. Anyone actually stay there? Should I cancel? Suggestions if I should cancel??

We arrive LHR Jan 2 at noon- straight to Southampton. I have either been quoted or seen posted car service rates from Heathrow to Southampton from 55GBP to 240GBP for a Lincoln Town Car type vehicle for two people and luggage. THAT is a BIG difference. Obviously, I would like to save some money. But also want to make sure I get the best for my money. And is private car the best way to get there? I really wanted the Orient Express train, but guess that doesn't run for the QE2. Should I take the regular train? I am interested in a leisurely trip-seeing some of the countryside. No need to rush anyplace. Suggestions???[/quote]

Hello, greatam. I just read your post, and a few places came to mind for your "night before sailing" stopover:

The town of Rye, in Sussex. (A Google search of "Rye Sussex" will lead you to several useful websites.) It's a small, scenic, upscale town with some fine historic pubs and guest houses. (Henry James lived there, at Lamb House, in the early 1900s; also--in the same house, though a few years later--E. F. Benson, author of the Mapp & Lucia stories). However, although it's on the south (well, southeast) coast, the rail journey from Rye to Southampton takes at least three and a half hours and involves several changes of train--so perhaps that's a drawback if you're at all nervous about making it down to Southampton on Tuesday in time for our sailing! (After all, there's a difference between a "leisurely" journey and one that proceeds in fits & starts--or by swings & roundabouts, as our British friends say.)

Arundel is another small town you might want to investigate as a possible overnight stop--a somewhat sleepy place (or at least it was when I was there, some years ago) with a splendid "modern" castle. It's only an hour and a half from Southampton by train.

Salisbury and Winchester are even closer to Southampton (less than a half hour by train, without any need to change).

However, my personal first choice might well be Yarmouth, on the Isle of Wight--a very pleasant (indeed, "quaint") & upscale small town, again with nice pubs & restaurants & guest houses/small hotels, right on the water. (I was there last spring.) Ferries run continually to/from Lymington, in Hampshire, to Yarmouth--a little foretaste of the nautical adventure to come! The train goes right to the ferry terminal in Lymington; the entire trip (ferry & train) between Yarmouth & Southampton takes only an hour & a half, and goes through New Forest--quite scenic. In fact, the easiest way to get there would be to go directly from Heathrow to Southampton, as you currently plan, & then go on to Yarmouth from there. Yarmouth probably is quite sleepy in winter, but maybe that's what you want, rather than a bustling city? Google "Yarmouth Isle of Wight" for some websites that will give you a good idea of the place.

Hope this information is helpful.

Best regards,
John

As Stowaway2K and Calliope know, I am aboard QM2 this week, practicing for the Winter Crossing Club. It's very hard work, let me tell you all, but I want to be in top form come January.

Anyway, a quick hello to you all from the calm mid-atlantic.

Chris

[quote name='BrianBoru']As Stowaway2K and Calliope know, I am aboard QM2 this week, practicing for the Winter Crossing Club. It's very hard work, let me tell you all, but I want to be in top form come January.

Anyway, a quick hello to you all from the calm mid-atlantic.

Chris[/quote]

Chris:

Nice touch, QM2 and QE2 crossings as "bookends" around the holiday season !!

Given the calm seas you are apparently experiencing now on QM2, do you have a prediction for our weather in early January ???

Tom

Still no room assignment yet, and today's reservationist explained that it won't be until, "everone else whom is making the full 109 day World Cruise has their room assigned." So I guess that this goes in the week before crossing you'll find out what your room is category! Everyone else here that has had their stateroom assigned recently, it could be just a dream!

Are you awake, Ernie, Doug, et.al.? ARRRGH!

[quote name='Calliope']Everyone else here that has had their stateroom assigned recently, it could be just a dream![/quote]
Well, mine was not [i]assigned[/i] recently so much as I [i]chose[/i] it as I did not book as a guarantee (didn't have to).

I am told that new bookings are guarantees again, and that right now they are not assigning cabins to existing guarantees any more... So your reservationist could have been right.

It would be rather nice if they had some sort of facility to check one's booking online... After all, they are now using POLAR (Princess' reservation system) which allows for the Princess "cruise personalizer", but no such facility exists on Cunard's web site. You can't even fill out the "guest registration form" (I am still of the staunch opinion that if they insist on calling me a "guest", they ought to refund my fare) on line. The paper form says right on the bottom, "Guest registration form is also available on our website at www.cunard.com" but it turns out that this simply refers to a PDF of the paper form. One still has to fax it back to Cunard. Surely it would be much easier if this could be done online, and I can't understand why it can't be since they are plugged into POLAR which has such a facility!

(End of Rant)

Archived