QE2 - January 3, 2006 - Six Day Crossing

eroller

If you really want to make things interesting, you can come up with all sorts of shocking and fun professions .... such a prostitute on Hollywood Blvd! ;) Just kidding.

Ernie

Boy could I tell you a couple of stories.

Put a couple of pints in me in the Golden Lion Pub...

I'm not far from where a certain British movie star and a certain nutty professor got their names in the papers for, well, ...hey it was Ernie who brought up the subject! :eek:

Well, after years of just lurking without registering to the board, I finally managed to spend those 5 minutes doing just that! Now let's add me on the list for Jan 3rd! ;)

Ron Acosta

My Site: http://www.myspace.com/cunarder

QE2 - Apr 1998, Caribbean

Nov 1999, EB

Dec 2000, WB

Dec 2002, WB

Dec 2003, WB

Apr 2004, EB

Dec 2004, WB

Jan 2006, WB

QM2 - Mar 2004, Caribbean

Apr 2004, Maiden WB

Well, after years of just lurking without registering to the board, I finally managed to spend those 5 minutes doing just that! Now let's add me on the list for Jan 3rd! ;)

Welcome Ron! It will be good to see you again. By any chance will Melanie be with you again?

Looking forward to January 3rd!

Ernie

Well, after years of just lurking without registering to the board, I finally managed to spend those 5 minutes doing just that!

Good to have you on board, literally and figuratively!

Now where are Kyle's Long Island, London, and Virginia lurkers? Come on people, don't be shy ;) ...

Same goes for "So, what do you do for a living?" conversations. I find that most people form opinions on who you are by where you work. And, if you work for some places, like goverment, you can be subjected to a barrage of complaints and issues.

I disagree on this one, but I think intent is important here.

I don't care WHAT people do, I don't judge their value as a human being by it! Some very well-to-do-people may chose to do a low paying job just to meet people or to keep from sitting home watching Oprah and eating BonBons!

When I ask a person "what do you do when you're not sailing the ocean blue?" or something to that effect) It is a genuine interest in other people, a conversation starter, and often leads to some fascinating conversations. I do not just ask and then shut up, I ask them about their work (or hobby or avocation) I try to learn and understand and ask intelligent questions and I find most people do want to talk about themsleves. If someone answered, " I work in an ice cream parlor in the summer, I might further the conversation by saying, "I'll be you meet some very interesting people there!"

Of course that's just me.

OTOH, I would never ask someone what they paid, or how much they make, though I am not shy if they really want to know my particulars (although truthfully, I always have to look on my paycheck to remember how much I make. It goes in the bank, I spend it, and save some (goes out before I ever see it!) and if I have enough of it, I take a cruise!) I might ask the "how much" question if I was looking to buy something Like, "Gee, around how much would one of those widgets cost? I've been wanting one but wasn't sure if I could afford it. If you don't mind, and I'll understand if you say no."

Karie

P.S. Feel free to ask me what I do, on the January 3 Carib Panama cruise. But be prepared for a sort of long and inexact answer. Marc too. It's kind of heard to explain what each of us does. I have a job title, but that is kind of meaningless. Heck, I forget my title myself! But I love what I do, and am always willing to help people when they know what my skillset is like. (Goes back to the Doctor at the cocktail party..."Oh, I'm the piano player in a whorehouse!" )

On this board I will be happy to give some generalizations, as I think that I have. I think that what I have posted might add some info into the collective pool of knowledge about how upgrades are doled out.

I certainly appreciate being on the receiving end of an upgrade, and I'm happy when other friends get them too. Both Cheryl and I are thrilled to be upgraded. Will I still hope for others, you bet. Will I be upset if I don't get one on a future trip, no way. I pay to be in the room that I want and can afford. I've never been disappointed, and there are times, like this, when I'm thrilled beyond belief!

To tell you the truth, when I talked to Cunard the other day, asking if I was still in the same cabin and would I still be considered for an upgrade, I looked over where my cabin is, and what is around us, convenience to things, and so on. (On one of my many copies in various formats of the deckplans!<G>) Honestly, as I looked around at what I might possibly upgrade to, I really am most happy where I am!

And I would hate one of those forward suites, I think it is, where Hoi Polloi <G> are looking down on you on your balcony! How will I EVER get that all-over tan THAT way! <G>

Karie

3. The "Cabin Cavalcade". This should be a fun event one afternoon while at sea. I guess we can decide when and where to start at one of our onboard get togethers. I went through the many pages of posts and came up with these cabin numbers. If you don't want to participate in the Cabin Cavalcade no problem. I promise we won't come banging on your door! ;) If you do want to participate and don't see you name and cabin, please add it. Also, if I have any wrong cabin numbers listed please let me know. I think we have a nice variety of categories listed and it should be a fun way to spend an afternoon. Points are not deducted for messy cabins! ;)

Sfo-john – 4217 – Cat M1

Transatlantic tom (Tom and Jan) – 4115 – Cat M1

Host Doug (Doug) – 4143 – Cat C5

Allis154 (Kyla & Troy) – 5168 – Cat M4

Transat (Chris) – 3099 – Cat P2

Greatam (Dennis &Gina) – 2045 – Cat P2

Calliope (Frank & Cheryl) – 3036 – Cat C2

Post Captain (John & Maureen) – 4203 – Cat C3

Juliecat (Julia) – 4248 – Cat C4

BrianBoru (Chris) – 3006 – Cat MO

Chris & Angela – 8184 – Cat Q2

NewtoQE2 (Christy) – 3008 – Cat C5

Ernie, you don't have your name on the list - surely you are joining in? Anyroad up, we can add another C5 - 4165 - Guernseyguy - Peter & Jon.

Peter

Hi Christy

I do know of another math professor who is making this trip too.

As for the question of jobs, when I was at university a couple of my doctor friends used to say they were in construction to girls they had met as it gave better results than saying they were medical students. They found out the hard way that saying you are a doctor attracts the wrong kind of girl!

As for my job, it is somewhere I should be on my way to at this moment. I have so much to do in the next six days that it is not even slightly funny.

Good to have you on board, literally and figuratively!

Now where are Kyle's Long Island, London, and Virginia lurkers? Come on people, don't be shy ;) ...

One of them you just welcomed aboard, and another one flies to the UK today for his pre-crossing holiday, so we may not hear from him...

Well, I'm a natural conversation killer. When I tell people that I'm a math professor, they just go "ohhhhhhhhhh" and walk away. I love lists, charts, maps, too!:D

I'm an English professor, Christie, the other natural conversation killer. :D (Don't worry folks: I never correct people's grammar--even my own!)

Oh yeah--I love charts, maps and lists!

Chris

Ernie, you don't have your name on the list - surely you are joining in? Anyroad up, we can add another C5 - 4165 - Guernseyguy - Peter & Jon.

Peter

Hi Peter,

I've played "musical cabins" so many times (four so far I think) I'm still not sure where I will end up. ;) In any case, when my cabin is confirmed I will post it .... and certainly plan to participate in the "Cabin Cavalcade".

Ernie

Karie

P.S. Feel free to ask me what I do, on the January 3 Carib Panama cruise. But be prepared for a sort of long and inexact answer. Marc too. It's kind of heard to explain what each of us does. I have a job title, but that is kind of meaningless. Heck, I forget my title myself! But I love what I do, and am always willing to help people when they know what my skillset is like. (Goes back to the Doctor at the cocktail party..."Oh, I'm the piano player in a whorehouse!" )

Hey Karie,

You have me intrigued. Sounds like a fun question in the Chart Room after a cocktail or two! ;)

Ernie

Hey Doug, Ernie, Kyle and the rest of the bunch,

Thanks for the welcome! It feels good to actually reply back for once. :D

Well, count me in for this "Cabin Cavalcade", folks. I'll be in cabin 5147 (Cat. M1) which coincidentally and unintentionally by Cunard, happens to be the same cabin I was in during last year's winter crossing.

Sorry Ernie but Melanie won't be able to make it. I'll fill you in of course, @ the Yacht Club over drinks on embarkation day. (FYI, a couple of us Liner Loony WC members tend to meet here on embarkation day, usually an hour or two before sailing.) And don't worry, Ernie, she's Okay!

Now, I'm not sure if this topic has been brought up before but in regards to Liner List members (I haven't been on the Yahoo site in ages and dare not try to look through tons o' pages), is the LL having any get-togethers while aboard? Doug, I'm sure you'll have the answer to this Q. ;)

Looking forward to seeing you all aboard!

- Ron

My Site: http://www.myspace.com/cunarder

Travel-to-go wrote

When I ask a person "what do you do when you're not sailing the ocean blue?" or something to that effect... It is a genuine interest in other people... .

But that's a wonderful question to ask someone, precisely because it's not the cut-and-dried "What do you do..." It may indeed lead to someone telling you about their career or profession, but it can lead down much more interesting pathways than that.

As for the Cabin Cavalcade, I would love to participate. Cabin 3113 here, though I think I've read that an almost identical cabin is already on the list; the only custom feature will be the photo of the cat on the dresser.

And I would hate one of those forward suites, I think it is, where Hoi Polloi <G> are looking down on you on your balcony!

I think you must mean the aft suites on QM2, where the hoi polloi can look up at one, not down - and surely one would rather be "looked up to" rather than "looked down upon" ;) ...

In the forward suites on QE2, the only hoi polloi who could look up or down at one would have to be those in a helicopter/airplane/airship/very tall building. Not sure about QM2; those forward suites are much more private than the aft ones but I'm not sure if they're 100% hoi polloi-proof.

One of them you just welcomed aboard

Sorry, was it Long Island, Virginia, or London that annexed Miami ;) ? (I assume not Long Island, at least I wasn't aware that we annexed anything...)

Forget "Winter Crossing Club" - maybe we ought to call this the "Chart, Map, and List Lovers' Club" ;) ?

Thanks for the welcome!

You're... Er, well, I was going to say "you're welcome" but that would sound kind of redundant ;) !

is the LL having any get-togethers while aboard? Doug, I'm sure you'll have the answer to this Q.

Not that I know of. You have reminded me to invite them to ours though!

I really know of no get-togethers of any sort other than ours which are not strictly "Cruise Critic" get-togethers, but rather "anyone any of us wants to invite" get-togethers.

the only custom feature will be the photo of the cat on the dresser.

The first time I read that, I missed the "the photo of" and was wondering if you had got their permission or were planning on smuggling the cat in your bag ;) ...

I'm an English professor, Christie, the other natural conversation killer. :D (Don't worry folks: I never correct people's grammar--even my own!)

Chris

It must be something about our names....

:) Christy

Hi, All.

I have what most may consider to be a very strange question, but here goes....

If you had to choose one coat and only one coat to bring on this trip, what would you bring...or what qualities would this coat have?

Thanks,

Christy

Lets start a list of pros and cons of different types of coats. First we need a list of types of coat.

On deck it will probably be pretty windy although above freezing for most of the time, it will get colder the further west we go.

One thing to remember is that there will be lots of salt spray so do not take your new favorite coat.

I would proabably go for a fleece type jacket and a throwaway cagoule or just anything fairly warm and waterproof (so you can get the residue of the ocean off).

Host Doug wrote...

Forget "Winter Crossing Club" - maybe we ought to call this the "Chart, Map, and List Lovers' Club"

Um, does creating a spreadsheet as a packing list for the suitcases count?

Hi, All.

I have what most may consider to be a very strange question, but here goes....

If you had to choose one coat and only one coat to bring on this trip, what would you bring...or what qualities would this coat have?

Thanks,

Christy

Christy,

I was wondering the same thing, because I can only choose one coat, also. I want a very warm coat so that I can be outside on decks and stay warm. It should be comfortable enough to wear for all occassions while in London and traveling to Southampton. Dressy yet casual. What are your choices?

Jan

:confused:

Um, does creating a spreadsheet as a packing list for the suitcases count?

Absolutely! Spreadsheets are even better than lists!

Actually, I don't make "to-do" lists, shopping lists, packing lists, etc. I don't know why... I just don't! I am obsessed with other kinds of lists though!

Strange, isn't it?

Archived