QE2 - January 3, 2006 - Six Day Crossing

eroller

Will one of you on the TransAtlantic portion of the upcoming World Cruise keep us posted on the weather coming across The Pond and all the news onboard? Perhaps when you have your first on boarding gathering you can designate a "poster" to those of us at home. Yes? Thanks!

Hi Peter,

Since we are now a week away, I think it's safe to say my cabin swapping days on QE2 are over. ;) Cabin change #4, and what I believe will be my final cabin on this voyage is 2108.

I look forward to meeting everyone in person, and certainly plan to participate in the "cabin cavalcade".

Ernie

You sly dog you - you've got into the Princess Grill - how did you do that? I thought you'd booked a CGTY?;)

Peter

You sly dog you - you've got into the Princess Grill - how did you do that? I thought you'd booked a CGTY?;)

Peter

Peter,

I can't reveal all my tricks! ;)

Liquor me up with a few drinks onboard and you might be able to pry it out of me! ;)

Needless to say, it's going to be vastly different than the M6 closet I had on the last crossing.

Ernie

John,

I believe it was the Renaissance London Heathrow Hotel last time I used the service. It's only about five minutes from LHR. I'll probably see you there.

Julia

Julia, Thanks for the information. I was hoping I might be able to take a stroll through Russell Square on Tuesday morning. I guess I'll just have to settle for the Promenade Deck on Tuesday evening and the following six days...

We are a unique group. How many people do you know, in 2005, who would think to cross the North Atlantic, in the winter, aboard a ship ??

Fellow WCC members (both Full & Associate) will be amused to know that we spent Christmas with a bunch of New Joisey :confused:landlubbers who weren't sure what the QE2 was, even after our detailed explanations! We had to field such questions and comments as "Are you leaving from Bayonne...? How many stops does the boat [!!!] make...? What islands are you visiting...? I hope the captain steers south to avoid icebergs... I hope the water is nice and smooth..." And: "Have a nice cruise.":eek:

Needless to say, our description of the Winter Crossing Club met with blank stares, bafflement, & expressions more of pity than of interest... But no doubt many of you have also encountered similar reactions from friends & family.

But here we are, just a week or so away...

Looking forward to meeting you all, & wishing you all safe & happy travels on your way to Southampton,

John & Maureen

Needless to say, our description of the Winter Crossing Club met with blank stares, bafflement, & expressions more of pity than of interest... But no doubt many of you have also encountered similar reactions from friends & family.

Quite amusing and yes, I can totally relate. On my recent trips (I'm a flight attendant) my flying partners have been asking me what I'm doing on my vacation. Most have heard of QE2 so they are impressed with that aspect, but I get a lot strange looks when I tell them I'm flying to London in January for a "crossing" to NY. They ask "where are you stopping" and "isn't it going to be cold and rough", and simply ... "why". They just don't get it, and that is fine. Many of my friends and especially my partner of 10 years just think I'm nuts! I tell them that may be so, but at least I'm not alone and will be traveling with many other nutty members of the WCC! ;)

On my last QE2 Winter Crossing, my best friend and his partner traveled with me. That was their first and last Winter Crossing. They loved the QE2, and my best friend doesn't get seasick (and we had VERY rough seas), but his poor partner Joe did. He was a trouper and did his best, but eventually the seas got the best of him. He is in no rush to repeat the experience which I can understand. Although I have never become seasick (knock on wood!), extended periods of rough seas will make me more sleepy and I find myself taking more cat naps.

Ernie

The current forecast I have for the Atlantic shows waves in the mid thirties for 31Dec05. In the next few days we will get a forecast for the week we will be sailing. Looks like the first couple of days might be a bit lively and day five might also be. Incredible!

Morning, All.

All this talk of high waves and rough seas brings a question to mind. I'm not sure how seasick I get since I've only been on one other large ship, and it was a cruise in the Carribean (very calm). I'm packing my ginger pills and Dramamine, just to be prepared. I've read about some sort of "magic" shot that the on-board doc can give if someone is quite seasick. Is this really the case?

Hopefully this will be a nonissue; however, given the placement of my cabin, I'm preparing for everything!;)

--Christy

I've read about some sort of "magic" shot that the on-board doc can give if someone is quite seasick. Is this really the case?

--Christy

Hi Christy,

I don't get seasick, but I do know people that do and yes, the "shot" works wonders and works quickly too. People I have known that received the shot were up and about in no time, and felt like a million bucks. I think the key is not to wait, and if you start to feel ill then request the shot from the doctor ASAP. I also don't think the shot puts you into a coma like typical dramamine does. ;) The crossing is only 6-days, so no time to waste on being sick!

Regarding your cabin ... well, if it gets really rough the entire ship will be rocking and not just your cabin. The motion may be more pronounced up front, but if you are prone to seasickness it won't matter where your cabin is. The best thing is to get out of the cabin and into the fresh air or at least some of the larger and more open lounges.

Hopefully none of this will apply to you ... but best to be prepared and it sounds like you are.

Ernie

As well as my QE2 1971 Trans Atlantic Deck plan I have scans of some older deck plans, such as Mauretanias I & II, Olympic, Aquitania and Normandie - would anyone be interested in these - or have others to share? I think they are interesting because they show the basic, 'First in the middle, Cabin aft and third for'ard that we see to some extent on the QE2.

Peter

would anyone be interested in these

What kind of question is that??? Of course bring them along!!! ;)

My personal request is to see your plans of NORMANDIE. I have never seen deck plans for this ship (which I consider an all time favorite of mine) and would LOVE to!

I would really enjoy seeing your others as well.

What could be better than being on a true ocean liner, crossing the North Atlantic, and looking at deck plans of other ocean liners?? That is what I call heaven! :-)

Ernie

What kind of question is that??? Of course bring them along!!! ;)

My personal request is to see your plans of NORMANDIE. I have never seen deck plans for this ship (which I consider an all time favorite of mine) and would LOVE to!

I would really enjoy seeing your others as well.

What could be better than being on a true ocean liner, crossing the North Atlantic, and looking at deck plans of other ocean liners?? That is what I call heaven! :-)

Ernie

Fair's fair, Guernsey Guy,

Can you fax them over to the QM, so we can also enjoy them?

<G>

Karie

I hope they don't prove disappointing - they are A4 scans from the Shipbuilder Book - so they are slightly cropped and the text is tiny - hope your eyesight is good!

Peter

I hope they don't prove disappointing - they are A4 scans from the Shipbuilder Book - so they are slightly cropped and the text is tiny - hope your eyesight is good!

Peter

I don't need glasses yet, so I think I'll be ok. ;)

Ernie

I'd like to see the Normande deckplans.

Two things are striking about the Normandie plans - the marvellous suite of First Class rooms, which we all know about - and unique in the set, Normandie put Tourist Class AND Third class at the stern - unlike Cunard or White Star who put Third Class forward. While forward of course gets more pitching, its free from the vibration over those great cavitating screws, or Normandie's wobbly stern - and a lot of the $$$ was in Third Class. Perhaps Yourkevich's slender hull did not allow enough space for Third Class forward (the Queen Elizabeth's naval architects also wanted to stick Third Class aft, but were over-ruled by Cunard management) - whatever the reason, despite the sumptiousness of Normandie's First Class rooms, compared to the Queen Mary commercially she came a distinct second......

Peter

Will one of you on the TransAtlantic portion of the upcoming World Cruise keep us posted on the weather coming across The Pond and all the news onboard? Perhaps when you have your first on boarding gathering you can designate a "poster" to those of us at home. Yes? Thanks!

Is there a computer room with internet access on board available for use by the passengers? I didn't want to bring my laptop since I will already have several luggage items. ;)

Ernie, thanks for the info about the shot. Believe me...I won't waste any time.

--Christy

Is there a computer room with internet access on board available for use by the passengers? I didn't want to bring my laptop since I will already have several luggage items. ;)

--Christy

Hi Christy,

Yes, there is a computer room. It's located on Two Deck forward. Just don't expect the connection to be very fast or too reliable. Hopefully it has improved since my last time onboard? As I recall, it was quite pricey as well so I used it on a very limited basis. Waiting a full minute or more for a single webpage to download can get very expensive! ;) I finally gave up all together.

Ernie

Has everyone received their docs? Mine are floating around DHL someplace. Left Valencia, Ca Friday evening. Overnight service specified on the tracking form on DHL website. I did not expect them to be delivered on Saturday or Sunday, but I sure expected them to be delivered before now (4:00PM MST).

Just called DHL and got the standard reply "they are in our system, out for delivery". When questioned why they weren't delivered yesterday-"that station didn't work on Monday". "Anything sent out after Dec. 17 will get there when it gets there". What????

We are in the logistics business and even though a lot of businesses were closed yesterday, FedEX, UPS, the Post Office, everyone except DHL delivered.

I know I can get on the ship without the docs. But that means I have to stand in a bunch of lines just to get the luggage tags. And schlepp the luggage throught the line. Not my idea of fun.

Cunard needs to reasses their courier service and if nothing else, at least file a claim for service failure on my package. I know it is only about $10.00 or so, but lost pennies fail more businesses than lost dollars do.

Has everyone received their docs? Mine are floating around DHL someplace. Left Valencia, Ca Friday evening. Overnight service specified on the tracking form on DHL website. I did not expect them to be delivered on Saturday or Sunday, but I sure expected them to be delivered before now (4:00PM MST).

Just called DHL and got the standard reply "they are in our system, out for delivery". When questioned why they weren't delivered yesterday-"that station didn't work on Monday". "Anything sent out after Dec. 17 will get there when it gets there". What????

We are in the logistics business and even though a lot of businesses were closed yesterday, FedEX, UPS, the Post Office, everyone except DHL delivered.

I know I can get on the ship without the docs. But that means I have to stand in a bunch of lines just to get the luggage tags. And schlepp the luggage throught the line. Not my idea of fun.

Cunard needs to reasses their courier service and if nothing else, at least file a claim for service failure on my package. I know it is only about $10.00 or so, but lost pennies fail more businesses than lost dollars do.

Greatam,

You have my sympathies.

On my list of things to do before we sail, is call DHL one more time (Useless) then file a claim. Marc and I sent two boxes back home from Key West last month. They contained some merchandise we had bought there and some arts and craft supplies. (We were at a convention where there was a balcony decorating contest... or would have been if Hurricane Wilma hadn't torn most of the balconies off our host hotel, and we all had to relocate.) It wasn't really critical stuff, but it was MY stuff. We weren't concerned when it didn't arrive immediately. After all, we'd experienced delays in shipping from Key West (USPS) in the past, and after all, we knew that both UPS and FEDEX had lost all of their trucks in the hurricane. After two weeks, we finally checked on it. It said it had been delivered November 11. We live on 64 Clark ROAD. DHL delivered it to 64 CLARK LANE. Well, we always get mail delivered to us in error, and I knew that the woman on Clark La had died 3 months ago. We tried to contact the new people- left notes on the door, knocked- but no one answered, even though cars were in the driveway and lights on, door open downstairs. We got their name from town hall (from the closing) and from the daughter of the former resident. They have a non published phone number. We spoke to neighbors. We asked DHL to try to regain our packages. They came to OUR house for pick-up! They left a note which was scrawled in what looked like a child's handwriting, in pencil, with horrible grammar and spelling. I know that UPS at one point had so many applicants they required a college degree to even apply.. As a package handler! They are union and quite well-paid. I must say I will never again trust DHL with my deliveries. I was NOT impressed!

Good luck. Maybe Cunard can FAX your tags? I know that's crazy, but it's better than waiting in line! You could cut them out and glue them to cardboard - or maybe scan them and print them on a color printer.

Surely there is a way!

P.S. DHL seems to be very cavalier in their attitudes about their mistakes!

I must say I will never again trust DHL with my deliveries. I was NOT impressed!

P.S. DHL seems to be very cavalier in their attitudes about their mistakes!

My experience is just the opposite. Every year we ship many packages via DHL to California on the 23rd, and they always arrive on the 24th. Never had a problem, and I've been treated well by DHL.

It's Fedex I will NEVER use unless there are no other options. We have been treated poorly by them on so many occasions. This last time was for packages shipped to us from California. It took well over 7-days from when my partner's dad sent them. On the tracking info, it would say "out for delivery" and then never be delivered. This pattern went on for several days. One time it stated "delivery attempted, occupant unavailable". That was a total lie as we were home all day. We have also been treated very poorly by Fedex Customer Service at their 1-800 number. The last guy we talked to was downright rude. Eventually the package did arrive, and even though we were supposed to sign for it, it was just left at the door. Pretty bad. Christopffre's dad is still trying to get a refund.

Ernie

as to DHL/FedEX, I supsect if we asked three more people we would get equally strong opinions of UPS USPS and, uh, well,. whoever else there is! <G>

I guess it is who last lost your whatever!

Maybe it's our local people here, also.

I had a friend who had to ship her livelihood- a laptop out- Insured to the hilt- I can't remember who it was lost it- Fed-Ex I think.

This is what she does for a living! Not pretty.

Well, let's hope Cunard has it together better than all of them! (Although I still thinki it is queer that they still don't know that John Maxtone Graham will be with YOU folks onthe QE, not with us on the QM come next Tuesday!

And I have asked a number of times, informed them of what I knew, and still their info in incorrect.

And two res agents have tried to tell me that my obstructed view balcony is an inhull! It is not! (8 deck- glass, but with lifeboats hanging in front of the balconies)

Oh well! It's still better than being at work, or in a ice/sleet/snow/freezing rain storm in Connecticut!

Mojitos at noon, if I wish! Or mimosas for breakfast!

Karie!

as to DHL/FedEX, I supsect if we asked three more people we would get equally strong opinions of UPS USPS and, uh, well,. whoever else there is! <G>

I guess it is who last lost your whatever!

Very true Karie. The same can be said about airlines. If you fly enough, and use different airlines, you *will* eventually have a bad experience on every airline. At times, all the major airlines can be pretty decent, and at other times they all have the potential to be very poor. Much of it depends on your individual circumstances, state of mind, and whom you are dealing with. One employee with a decent attitude can make all the difference in the world ... even if something goes wrong.

I'm often amused by the same behavior on cruises. It doesn't matter what ship I am on (even something pretty upscale like the QM2 or Silversea), I will undoubtedly ask someone what they think of the ship. Their response will be something like "this ship can't compare to "X" ship or "X" line". I usually chuckle to myself. I can assure you these same people will go on their next cruise and rave about how much better the ship we were just on was.

With airline passengers, I always chuckle inside when someone says "I will never fly this airline again"! I know that will only hold true until said airline offers a fare that is a dollar cheaper on the next flight they want to take. ;)

Ernie

FedEX, UPS, the Post Office, everyone except DHL delivered.

The Post Office? I certainly didn't get any mail yesterday...

Either way, "it gets there when it gets there" is not an acceptable answer to something shipped with overnight service!

I do hope you get your docs, though they are really not all that important. As Jon says, I am sure they could make up baggage tags for you in a jiffy.

Our cabin number has changed and our pre-printed tags have the wrong number... Not sure if I should just cross it out or what? I am inclined to simply not put them on until we get to Southampton and simply ask the Cunard staff there what to do. Cunard will not have anything to do with our baggage until we get to the terminal anyway.

Archived