QE2 - January 3, 2006 - Six Day Crossing

eroller

And of course the various advantages of it being in Princess Grill vs. Caronia.

I'm just curious (not having dined in Caronia or Princess Grill) ... do you think Princess Grill is that much better than Caronia? I know that Princess/Britannia Grill share the same kitchen as Caronia, so is the food or menu really any different?

I do prefer the smaller and more intimate size of Princess Grill, but others may prefer the larger and more "grand" feeling of the Caronia restaurant.

I have only dined in Mauretania and I was not impressed. Of course it was only a single experience and I think mine was the exception rather than the norm. A subsequent experience on Cunard's QM2 was very good in the food and service department ... and I have no hesitation to think QE2 won't also be very good this time around. Certainly the uniqueness of the QE2 and the special onboard atmosphere of a true "crossing" make up for any other shortcomings.

I guess Queen's Grill is really the place to be. They have their own kitchen and chef so I imagine it's quite different then the other restaurants. I think your room service also comes from the Queen's Grill kitchen if you are lucky enough to be in a suite. None the less, I have heard of Queen's Grill passengers "downgrading" to Princess Grill for the more intimate experience.

Ernie

I'm just curious (not having dined in Caronia or Princess Grill) ... do you think Princess Grill is that much better than Caronia?

I've never dined in either either, how in heaven's name do you expect me to answer that ;) ?

Fortunately I'm sure we have many others here who can ably answer that question. Personally I know people who swear by the Grills (and Princess/Britannia Grills in particular); I know others who say they're not worth it. I know so many regular QE2 passengers that frankly I know at least one for every conceivable opinion!

I guess Queen's Grill is really the place to be.

Well... I take back the above "every concievable opinion" statement! I actually don't think I've ever heard anyone I know say that they think Queens Grill is significantly better than the others. There is definite disagreement on whether Princess Grill vs. Caronia is really such a big difference (and in particular, whether the price difference is worth it), but almost everyone I know seems to think the nicer decor/atmosphere of Princess Grill to be enough to outstrip whatever advantages Queens Grill has. I can only presume that means the food and service aren't that different.

Personally, I think that for the fares they charge, the food and service ought to be superlative in all of the Grills!

I think your room service also comes from the Queen's Grill kitchen if you are lucky enough to be in a suite.

This applies to Q1 and Q2 grades, but not to the QS suites. (Cunard, quite correctly, do not refer to the Q2 cabins as "suites" since they are only one room, albiet one very large room.) As the QS suites are right between Q1 and Q2 in price, I assume this has to do with location; in particular with the two QS suites down on Two Deck.

On the other hand, the cabin that is the closest to the Queens Grill is actually of all things a QS! (That would be the Carmania suite; I think it's the newest cabin on the whole ship... It's located in what used to be the radio room.) But at least on paper, it doesn't get the theoretically better cabin service from the Queens Grill.

I guess Queen's Grill is really the place to be.

From food & service, probably, but arguably it has the WORST location of any of the restaurants on the ship - especially on a Transatlantic - forward, on Boat Deck, vs Caronia, more midships, two decks lower on Quarter Deck, even Mauretania, a deck lower is better, and what with the uninterrupted views of the....lifeboats, assuming you are not in the 'pit'. As one of the Scottish Aunts would have observed, 'The old disco? Very new money, my dear'.

Peter

Hi Transat Jon and Host Doug

Host Doug - thanks for your reminder/invite re the WCC over on Roll Calls. Glad to know if I could join the WCC as an associate member, having not previously done a winter crossing? Have done QE2 farewell 1 Oct 2003 WB and a Sep '05 EB as part of QE2's Canadian Crossing? Am a solo MI late seating in 1011 for the WC S'ton to S'ton. As for the last call at Manhattan, who sang "where you go I will follow" (Carol King?) and so where this grand dame sails to for as long as she sails, and for as long as I can muster up the lolly, I'll be onboard as often as poss. I expect, tho, this will be my one and only world cruise, but who knows, it may be my first of many winter crossings.

As it is some threads back, glad if, as a late comer, someone could refresh my memory with the timings for the gatherings again.

As for lists - there's a comprehensive packing list, an individual suitcase list, the WC itinerary of notable length with an indication daily of what I suspect will be that evenings attire, whether F(ormal) I(nformal) or C(asual) and also includes the excursions and prices I want to undertake on shore days; an attire grid with formal, informal and casual apparel listed as I tend to always want to wear favourites.....can someone think up some others I should prepare in the short time remaining, allowing for the fact I need to fly from Brisbane (Aus) to Amsterdam and then drive my car to Southampton, all before 3 Jan.

Season's greetings, safe travels to S'ton and I soooooo look forward to meeting up with you all.

Leone

Hi Peter

It is discussed on my Yahoo webpage at : http://www.geocities.com/jonclair77/fourfifty.htm

Thanks Jon,

They must have sold out fast as its back to £699/inside, £909 outside - similar to Cunard - and I've still virtually paid in $ what Cunard would have me pay in £! I am tempted to buy a share of Carnival stock and go to the next Shareholders' meeting held in the UK and ask them about the pricing differences between the US and UK!

Peter

Well..Still no documents. What the TA thought were my documents was actually the pre-documents documents. The ones with the visa applications and guest registration forms. I doubt if I will ever see my documents..*sigh*

"Don't be concerned" says the TA. "We can just have cunard fax the tickets and vouchers to us and you can pick them up here. Plenty of time before you go."

That would be true, except for it is the holidays and I have a million things to do between now and Jaunary 2. And, after today, there is only 4 business days between now and then.

I keep telling myself not to be concerned, but..I am worried. Hopefully, I'll hear from the TA today with those magic words, "you're documents are in."

Well..Still no documents.

Allis154 - the only document you need to worry about is your airticket. You are on the QE2's Manifest, you are sailing. You also have a reservation for the airticket - why they haven't done the tickey electronically I don't know. I've just been to New Zealand and back with no paper ticket - you'd think the cruise lines would work out that e-tickets would save both them and their passengers a lot of hassle and stress - and money!

Peter

Season's greetings, safe travels to S'ton and I soooooo look forward to meeting up with you all.

Leone

Welcome to the club Leone!

Nice to have you aboard, and boy am I envious of you getting to sail the entire world cruise. What a fabulous experience! See you onboard.

Ernie

I've never dined in either either, how in heaven's name do you expect me to answer that ;) ?

Doug, I know you haven't dined in either, but you do a lot of reading on QE2 and no doubt you have heard what people think and may have formed an opinion of your own. You've never been short of opinions! ;) I often read about the difference between Queen's and Princess Grill .... but rarely the differences between Caronia and Princess Grill. I'm talking strictly about the food and service since the latter share the same kitchen. I was basically wondering how different the food and service can be?

Ernie

Well..Still no documents. What the TA thought were my documents was actually the pre-documents documents. The ones with the visa applications and guest registration forms. I doubt if I will ever see my documents..*sigh*

I received documents two days ago. To be honest, they were a bit anti-climatic and more a formality than anything. None the less I understand it's nice to have them and also the Cunard leather (or leatherette) folder is nice! ;) I sure do miss the old fashioned baggage tags. Now it's the pre-printed peel-off strips like airlines use.

The ticket itself is in a spiral binder and really doesn't provide a lot of information. It does state that embarkation begins at 12 noon.

My air ticket is not a ticket at all, but just an "itinerary" since it's an e-ticket. Most airlines charge extra for a paper ticket or won't issue one at all. It's rare to see one these days.

It won't be long before cruise lines do away with tickets all together.

Hang in there Allis154 ... it probably won't be long now.

Ernie

Just spoke with TA. Our documents have arrived. They still show the original cabin assignment of 5168, an M4. She called Cunard, and they said that we still might get a further upgrade from our current C2, and the tickets were issued with the first cabin assigned.

So, I might be in 1012 or I might not be. Who knows!? I am just glad that I have my documents!

I received documents two days ago. To be honest, they were a bit anti-climatic and more a formality than anything. None the less I understand it's nice to have them and also the Cunard leather (or leatherette) folder is nice! ;) I sure do miss the old fashioned baggage tags. Now it's the pre-printed peel-off strips like airlines use.

The ticket itself is in a spiral binder and really doesn't provide a lot of information. It does state that embarkation begins at 12 noon.

My air ticket is not a ticket at all, but just an "itinerary" since it's an e-ticket. Most airlines charge extra for a paper ticket or won't issue one at all. It's rare to see one these days.

Ernie

It is the emerency contact information that we were looking for. We like to leave that sort of stuff with our families and house sitter. And our air information would have been nice to have, along with the tranfer vouchers. The rest of the booklet is just nice to have.

Allis154

I'm just curious (not having dined in Caronia or Princess Grill) ... do you think Princess Grill is that much better than Caronia? I know that Princess/Britannia Grill share the same kitchen as Caronia, so is the food or menu really any different?

I do prefer the smaller and more intimate size of Princess Grill, but others may prefer the larger and more "grand" feeling of the Caronia restaurant.

We were in Caronia last year and were joined by friend from Princess for a couple of evenings. They said that the food was the same although they could rquest a la carte items for the next day if they wished.

Only a few days left.:)

Peter

Host Doug - thanks for your reminder/invite re the WCC over on Roll Calls.

You're very welcome! Glad to have you on board.

you do a lot of reading on QE2 and no doubt you have heard what people think and may have formed an opinion of your own.

I don't form opinions of food I haven't eaten ;) !

But seriously, I have heard what other people think... Trouble is, they don't agree! All I can say is that there are a lot of people who think it's very different and a lot of other people don't think it's different at all. Can't tell you much more than that, I'm afraid.

I was basically wondering how different the food and service can be?

Speaking purely hypothetically, it could be very different. I'm not saying it is, but it could be.

We were in Caronia last year and were joined by friend from Princess for a couple of evenings. They said that the food was the same

Frankly, if I were that friend, I'd be a little annoyed if I'd paid all that extra money and found the food to be the same!

they could rquest a la carte items for the next day if they wished.

Why should one have to order a la carte items a day early?

Count me in. Cabin 8208 Q3.

That should be interesting - I've always wondered what these boat deck cabins are like!

I'm off to the airport in about an hour to begin my trek...

LAX-LHR-DUB-EDI-LGW-SOU-QE2-NYC-FLL-LAX

See you all in Southampton!

Still no cabin for me, I'll find out when I get there. My Cunard World Club Platinum status is completely worthless with this.

You'll all know me when you see me, I'm the one with his left arm in a cast.

Bon Voyage to all of you.

I'm off to the airport in about an hour to begin my trek...

LAX-LHR-DUB-EDI-LGW-SOU-QE2-NYC-FLL-LAX

See you all in Southampton!

Still no cabin for me, I'll find out when I get there. My Cunard World Club Platinum status is completely worthless with this.

You'll all know me when you see me, I'm the one with his left arm in a cast.

Bon Voyage to all of you.

I am certain they are saving the best for last! Maybe no assignment will give you a big surprise.

Make sure you write on that cast in big neon letters- "YA SHOULDA SEEN THE OTHER GUY!"

No one will ask any questions and they'll give you anything you want!

Merry Christmas!

Safe trip!

Karie

QE2 Winter Crossing Club

January 2006 Crossing

Southampton-NY

* Brian Boru (Chris)

* Stowaway 2K (Kyle)

* Ken W

* sfo-john

* transat jon

* guernseyguy (Peter)