Men's Spa Facilities on Cruise ships: Which ones do you think are the best?

I think you will find that asking for the best cruise ship rather than the best cruise line will get you more usable information. To start with on Cruise Critic's "board" page find "special interest cruising" and then choose "List of Ships with Free Steam and Sauna."  To evaluate paid spa sites, some have talked about them on this blog. 

Edited by ouse456

On 8/22/2021 at 5:17 PM, Wilkinson1 said:

Hi having retired I want to start cruising , what’s best cruise line for a single traveller with good spa facilities?! 

I find this spreadsheet quite useful - how up to date it is now  tho'  I do not know.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1ROCmeNSYj_VwCYs3IUjWbrcEomFeqOrvIDUnXG6GLTg/edit#gid=836403675

4 hours ago, ouse456 said:

I think you will find that asking for the best cruise ship rather than the best cruise line will get you more usable information. To start with on Cruise Critic's "board" page find "special interest cruising" and then choose "List of Ships with Free Steam and Sauna."  To evaluate paid spa sites, some have talked about them on this blog. 

Thank you for the information 

On 8/14/2021 at 10:22 AM, OntarioBiMe said:

Hi Idros,
The Pride sauna/steam are both a good size.  I posted pictures in this thread somewhere.
As you enter locker room you walk through two very noisy, swinging saloon-style doors:

• lockers and a bench are to your left.  Lockers have key combinations so no need to leave your card with spa staff.
  • very private shower rooms line the right side wall of the hallway straight ahead.  Shower rooms have lockable wooden doors, a small bench/changing area just inside the door, then the shower area itself with body jets and rainshower overhead.  Nicest showers I have seen and so much bigger than cabin showers, 3 or 4 people could probably fit.
  • bathroom entrance door is first along left side wall.
  • steam room is just after the bathroom (and directly across from showers).  Steam room has a full, wall-sized opaque window to outside.  Tile benches on either side facing each other, each holds 3 guys comfortably. Only natural light so nice and relaxing.  Glass door, usually fogged up but you can see in/out.
  • sauna is just past the steamroom on the left.  Sauna has a single, 2-tiered bench and a window like the steam room.  Glass door.
  • At the end of the hallway is a heavy door that elads to the gym and free co-ed hot tub.  The door is quite loud but closes slowly so it desnt actually latch shut until you are past the sauna.

All in all these are great facilities.  Never overly busy during my cruises but might get 3 or 4 guys at a time.  Late at night (last hour before closing time) is so relaxing and steam room is especially dark (I almost fell asleep once).  Late night is usually pretty empty but I have encountered Staff members enjoying the steam/sauna in their off hours and the ones I have met definitely share our love of these areas.

Enjoy!

Thanks for the detailed information.  It is very helpful and looking forward to use the facilities, not only the steam and sauna, but those showers sound amazing!!!

On 8/5/2021 at 4:46 PM, txbear said:

Wow this topic is still here , Awesome ,  I’m booked on Liberty of the seas in October, it’s in dry dock now , has anyone heard if they are removing the sauna and steam room ?  Are other cruise lines using their saunas during Covid. .?  Glad to see this is still going😜

Hey just curious I’m looking at October 2021 cruises . Which one are you booked on ? Glad to see the steamroom is still there and saw a video of it from 2019 looks like a good time and relaxing 

thanks

• 2 weeks later...

I'm currently on celebrity silhouette and pleased to report that the FREE sauna in the locker room is up and running, I've used it every day and sadly not seen hardly any one else. I'll try and get some pics taken/posted later. 

Edited by billybeachboy
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2

On 9/14/2021 at 2:51 AM, billybeachboy said:

I'm currently on celebrity silhouette and pleased to report that the FREE sauna in the locker room is up and running, I've used it every day and sadly not seen hardly any one else. I'll try and get some pics taken/posted later. 

Hopefully some of the guys on the ship are reading your post. Normally on that ship (at least pre-covid) it would be really busy every day after about 3:30. Nice setup with roomy showers. Great way to relieve tension!

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, twodjs said:

Hopefully some of the guys on the ship are reading your post. Normally on that ship (at least pre-covid) it would be really busy every day after about 3:30. Nice setup with roomy showers. Great way to relieve tension!

Glad to hear the sauna is open, i would be there every day if i were on the cruise. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

As promised above here are a few pics of the Mens sauna facility on Celebrity Silhouette.
The facility is situated in the mens locker room which serves the spa & gym area, the entrance to the locker room is hidden & is not easily found - unless like me you know it's there!  As you look at the spa reception desk the Male locker room is to the right & slightly behinmd the desk, you have to turn left & more or less double back on yourself to see the entrance.   Initially you will come across approx 20 combination lockers (no key needed), there is no bench to sit on in this area, only three fabric covered 'pouffes' - not the best for hygiene in my opinion so be sure to sit on a towel. Further along the corrdor there are two wash basins, two urinals & two WC's, next on the left is the sauna, while on the right are three large showers - one accessible. There is no bench to sit & cool between sauna sessions & no water fountain to rehrdrate yourself so be sure to take your own water bottle in with you.  Towels were plentiful during my voyage & the attendant made a visit ti wipe surfaces about every 20 minutes.

Spa (1)n.jpg

Spa (2)n.jpg

Spa (3)n.jpg

Spa (4)n.jpg

Spa (6).JPG

Spa (8).JPG

• Like 5

So glad to see they HAVEN'T updated the Celebrity Solstice class ships to remove the single-sex free sauna in the locker area. The Edge class (their newest) has none. 

Just back from our second Alaska cruise on the Holland America's Nieuw Amsterdam.There was plenty of available space in their single-sex free sauna (has it been so long that guys have forgotten the sauna exists?). Hope active participation picks up by Thanksgiving time on the Koningsdam in Mexico. Great set-up on that ship with those floor-to-ceiling windows out to the ocean!

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, twodjs said:

So glad to see they HAVEN'T updated the Celebrity Solstice class ships to remove the single-sex free sauna in the locker area. The Edge class (their newest) has none. 

Just back from our second Alaska cruise on the Holland America's Nieuw Amsterdam.There was plenty of available space in their single-sex free sauna (has it been so long that guys have forgotten the sauna exists?). Hope active participation picks up by Thanksgiving time on the Koningsdam in Mexico. Great set-up on that ship with those floor-to-ceiling windows out to the ocean!

Was the sauna empty all week? That's too bad. I'm far from the target demographic of Holland America but a sauna with a view sounds amazing! That's my favorite part about the sauna on NCL's Jewel class of ships. 

On 9/23/2021 at 9:57 AM, tonygcharles said:

Good to see this thread still running 

Last cruise was end of 2019 

That was on Jewel  .. all facility's where open then 

I'm  going on Jewel OTS again  end of October . Greek islands 

Will report back .. not expecting sauna to be open but🤞

I was Adventure a few months ago and was so disappointed it was closed. I'm going on Carnival next week and I'm fairly certain everything is open. I'm probably doing Jewel OTS in December, so hope you have a great cruise! Can't wait for you to report back. In the normal times, how are the facilities on that class of ships? 

• Like 1

On 9/25/2021 at 11:43 PM, natefish95 said:

I was Adventure a few months ago and was so disappointed it was closed. I'm going on Carnival next week and I'm fairly certain everything is open. I'm probably doing Jewel OTS in December, so hope you have a great cruise! Can't wait for you to report back. In the normal times, how are the facilities on that class of ships? 

Just off the Carnival Pride. The sauna and steam rooms were open although the heat in both was less than optimal.The sauna was consistently 118 degrees F.  Signs were posted that they were for the use of vaccinated passengers although I noted no policing.

Would appreciate news about RCCL's s and s rooms. Are they currently open?

Edited by ouse456
  • Like 3

2 hours ago, celecruise19 said:

Hi twodjs I think we might be on the same boat.

You're right! Same ship, same cruise. I see you've been on the Celebrity Summit. Quite a bit different, but Koningsdam has the most variety of the Holland America ships. And a much better free sauna than their older ships. Great way to spend Thanksgiving!

• 2 weeks later...

Sailed on Royal Allure of The Seas last month (September 2021) and the spa facilities are as follows:

• NO separate men's steam or sauna. 
  • Separate men's locker room with showers, but only accessible if using paid spa services. Showers were closed for COVID reasons during my sailing.
  • Coed "Thermal Spa" had just re-opened with restrictions (pre-scheduled 1-hour time blocks) on my sailing. Paid $120 for a one week pass. The restrictions (1-hour time limit eased but not the need for reservations) eased up some as the week went by.
  • Coed Thermal Spa consists of two steam rooms and a dry sauna, and heated loungers in the area in front of the saunas. 
Edited by TexasCruiseDude

On 10/24/2021 at 9:50 AM, spaBme said:

Going on RC Mariner of the Seas 02NOV. Anybody know if sauna/steam is open/free?

Thanks!

As far as I understand, the separate steam/sauna facilities in the fitness center locker rooms were preserved during the last renovations of Mariner, unlike what they did to Navigator (and plan to do to the rest of the sister ships, sadly). So they would still be free. Sounds like ships do have saunas open, but it may vary by ship and sailing what the policies are. I've been seeing reports that they are open on many ships.

11 hours ago, CntPAcruiser said:

As far as I understand, the separate steam/sauna facilities in the fitness center locker rooms were preserved during the last renovations of Mariner, unlike what they did to Navigator (and plan to do to the rest of the sister ships, sadly). So they would still be free. Sounds like ships do have saunas open, but it may vary by ship and sailing what the policies are. I've been seeing reports that they are open on many ships.

Thanks!

On 9/23/2021 at 2:57 PM, tonygcharles said:

Good to see this thread still running 

Last cruise was end of 2019 

That was on Jewel  .. all facility's where open then 

I'm  going on Jewel OTS again  end of October . Greek islands 

Will report back .. not expecting sauna to be open but🤞

Update

Just off Jewel of the sea 

Sauna/ steam room  closed for the whole week

Ship returning to Miami from Cyprus now