Adult only pool-Emerald.

janecambridge

The Spa pool as well as the aft pools are and always have been Adults Only

That is why there is a singular and distinct stand-alone sign. Otherwise, why have a stand-alone sign? It trumps the other sign

I liken it to those stand alone signs that are sometimes set up in sky walkers that say Private Party in progress, yet there is also a posted sign which states 18 and over allowed, or at least there used to be

So am I to deduce that I can just barge right into someone's private party function since I am over 18 years of age and I want to go to sky walkers at that moment?

Nope.

Signs exist for a reason. Some people just like to split hairs

Over everything:rolleyes:

FWIW, they have raised the age to 21, at least on the Grand last month, for both Skywalkers and the "adult" pools. My 18 year old son, who was celebrating his high school graduation, was really disappointed! :(

I don't understand why any parent would be happy to let their child swim in such a strong current when there are other pools that are a lot safer.even adults struggled at times to keep themselves balanced without banging into others or the side of the pool.Any adult could quite easily knock a child hard whilst trying to swim against the current and losing their co ordination,Isn't it about safety,parental supervision or not?

So you would rather have people be subjected to all the noise, music, ice carvings, MUTS, etc all day long just in case the kids foul up the smaller quieter pool? What about people who just want peace & quiet? Where are they supposed to go?

btw- it's a rare occurrence when a pool gets shut down for something like that.

Unfortunately, not such a rare thing at all. We have had it happen on multiple cruises on Carnival and Royal Caribbean and at the Hyatt Hill Country Resort when the lazy river had to be shut down to clean up after a child in diapers.

People disregard the "no babies in diapers" signs all the time and even swim diapers do not contain the mess all the time. The bigger problem is the cruise lines and hotels do not enforce their own rules. Considering how concerned they are about hand washing, one would think they would be concerned about the pools getting fouled.

I don't understand why any parent would be happy to let their child swim in such a strong current when there are other pools that are a lot safer.even adults struggled at times to keep themselves balanced without banging into others or the side of the pool.Any adult could quite easily knock a child hard whilst trying to swim against the current and losing their co ordination,Isn't it about safety,parental supervision or not?

The current is not on all the time, only if someone turns it on to use it. I have only seen people using it once or twice. I would hope that if someone was actually using it, the parents would have the good sense to keep the kids out of the way.

You think the parents are going to go check out the pools beforehand?

I think not. The kids will have the run of the ship.

No, I'm not surprised and you're absolutely right. Princess decided that the "customer is always right" is the way they want to handle things. There's an element of fear that a passenger could complain and cost them their jobs. Other lines enforce policies and other than a few jerks, it works well as people understand that there are boundaries and rules. Kind of like letting a 2YO dictate the household. Who's the adult and who's the child?

On the other hand, it seems to me that there are far more people who feel entitled to do what they want when they want and throw a tantrum if they don't get their way or blame someone else who objects to their behavior. :(

We are now talking about safety, not this the customer is always right ...... Princess seems to be cutting back on staff. The only time I have used the adult pool, was way back in 2005, they had someone there all the time.

I don't really use the pools but if I was in the adult only pool I would certainly be "the guy" who pointed out the sign and told the children to leave the pool. I raised 3 kids of my own, had an "extra" kid all through his teens, and my wife ran an in-home daycare for 20 years. I actually worked full time with her for 4.5 of those years.

There is NO reason for children to be out of control or to be allowed to break the rules. Period. Children can be taught to act like human beings and, if you teach them how to behave properly at an early age, it can last throughout a lifetime.

I know people who have children who "ran the place" and absolutely everybody else I know despised those children. They were horrible kids and guess what kind of adults they grew into? People liked my children. We were often complimented by people we knew as well as by school staff and staff in restaurants. Kindergarten teachers absolutely loved having kids who had been with my wife because they already knew how to behave like nice people. It isn't hard to teach children to behave properly in public or in private. Children have a great capacity for learning but they need guidance. It really helps if you set an example for them to follow...

I wouldn't be at all worried about getting "the stink eye" from some kid's parents. The rules are posted and need to be followed. There are other pools where children are welcomed and that's where the children should be if they want to use a pool.

Unfortunately it's a anything goes, no rules. My children and my wife's children were raised with rules, and consequences.

Why would you think the sign that says children need supervision overrides the sign that says ADULTS ONLY, rather than the other way around?!

As others have said, the "Pool Rules" signs are standard, and the signs are the same all over the ship. The ADULTS ONLY signs are only placed at the Adult pools. If you brought your kids into one of the adult pools, I would ask you to leave, and contact a crew member if you refused. ADULTS ONLY means ADULTS ONLY!!!

Right there with you!

My wife and I love to have quiet, adult time around the Adult pool. I have no problem telling kids, even if their parent is around, to go to the other pools. In my older years, I've learned to be more vocal when people act outrageous or rudely. I've asked crew members on past cruises to remove kids in an Adult pool and it works. I just keep going up the chain of command until I get results.

I'll do the same for the dummy's that barely have clothes on in the MDR. I don't yell at crew members, but I certainly let them know it's inappropriate and breaking the rules that the cruise line set up.

Well this was interesting. Some of you folks will need to avoid Carnival at all costs. Once in all our trips on any line was an issue at a pool with children. They were jumping into the large hot tub clearly marked Adults Only with a separate one for the little darlings. Was jumped on and when I spoke up nicely to her mother was told to F off only with several other colorful suggestions as to what I could do with myself. Fine after a quiet word between us she left quickly. I understood from a couple of folks who joined me after her and her 6 kids left they were a problem daily but the staff refused to address it. So hope Princess would address any issues should I ever have one.

Well this was interesting. Some of you folks will need to avoid Carnival at all costs. Once in all our trips on any line was an issue at a pool with children. They were jumping into the large hot tub clearly marked Adults Only with a separate one for the little darlings. Was jumped on and when I spoke up nicely to her mother was told to F off only with several other colorful suggestions as to what I could do with myself. Fine after a quiet word between us she left quickly. I understood from a couple of folks who joined me after her and her 6 kids left they were a problem daily but the staff refused to address it. So hope Princess would address any issues should I ever have one.

This is a situation that you would hope they get booted off in the most foreign/distant port possible. :mad:

This is a situation that you would hope they get booted off in the most foreign/distant port possible. :mad:

This is an issue for all of us that cruise. The more we talk about it to officials at Carnival or Princess and bring it to their attention the better chance we will have that it will be addressed and corrected. They won't care so much about losing a few customers when they realize they will be pleasing a lot of regular customers and those to come!

I'm sorry but the way I read it (as do many others) is that kids under the age of 16 are allowed as long as there's supervision. What's so hard to understand?

DSC09845LOTUS5_zpsfaf32c07.jpg

This sign is referring to the hot tubs. The warnings on it are the key.

If kids are playing in the hot tubs without parents, you have the right to have them removed. That is unless the parents stand by the tubs and supervise.

hi,i think the op is refering to the baltic heritage from southampton on 26 july.we were on that cruise and every day in the baltic was 25 degrees plus,fantastic for that region.i think for the first time the brits outnumbered the yanks.a lot of pepes were getting back early from ports to get by pool including me,the kids we are talking about are a lively 13 plus multinational group who were a bit loud in tubs but then i thought good luck to them,some of them are probably on their first cruise with so many friends of same age from different backgrounds.christ i am brobably louder after a few vodkas if in the right company and i am a 62 year old fart,cheers brian.

I have never used a ship's pool nor their hot tubs as I don't trust their sanitation levels, especially when there are children in them. However, I do enjoy sitting in the adults area only for the likelihood of it being a bit more quiet.

I have absolutely no problem with telling a child who is misbehaving to cut it out. I've done several times and I've done it with the parent sitting right next to me. I could care less about receiving the "stink eye." I implored the parent to take the whining child (more than 1/2 hour) back to his room after expressing that I had a right to sit in a peaceful area without his tantrums. The parent immediately removed the child and I never got a stink eye from him. In fact it looked more of a look of embarrassment. Maybe my stink eye is more scary than theirs. :D

Oh, and if a child (supervised or not) were to attempt to play in the ADULTS ONLY swim against the current pool, I too would turn on the switch and get the current going. There is absolutely no reason why children have to have access to every pool on the ship.

Yes it is.

Well I think that's rubbish! So parents with kids have to be subjected to the lido pool with MUTs noise and the band playing so loud that relaxing is out of the question. My eight year old doesn't break the rules or swim in adult only pools and she knows not to splash adults in any pool. I would have thought it would be more sensible to keep the Lotus pool completely child free and enforce this properly. I don't mind if the aft pools are only for children that have adult supervision but I love the aft pools and don't find the noisy pools relaxing.

We had a terrible experience on the Voyager of the Seas where the children seemed to run wild and even my daughter complained of the other children behaving badly, splashing and doing the wrong thing. I had to explain to her not to tell other children off. lol. There were groups of unsupervised boys with glasses of coke in the hot tub spitting coke and ice at each other. But by far the worst culprits were the young adults in the adults only area. Riding on each others shoulders and throwing each other around in the pool splashing water over people even into other peoples cocktails and when people politely asked them to refrain they were met with aggression and they carried on their bad behaviour. The pool attendant seemed to be blind to it. Think we will stick with Princess but I hope it stays balanced where children doing the right thing can enjoy the pools. Not the Lotus of course even I love the serenity there. :)

Edited by silverwillow
  • Like 1