River Cruises with a younger demographic

MeganM

Hello all. DH and I are looking into a 2016 river cruise for our 40th b-days/10 year wedding anniversary. Any recommendations for younger cruisers out there? My hubby is concerned we'll be out of our element. Currently looking at Uniworld, AMA and A-Rosa. Very intrigued by A-Rosa but not many current reviews.

We have done 7 so far and are on the younger end of river cruisers.

By far the youngest demographic we have experienced was on our AMA cruises. AmaCerto Budapest to Prague late November for the Christmas markets was the most fun of all of them, closely followed by our wine cruise on the Danube on AmaDante.

IME, theme cruises attract a younger demographic overall - though I imagine not the ones geared to knitting and those types of pursuits.

Our three Christmas market cruises have all had younger cruises overall and we have another 2 of those booked with AMA and a wine cruise with them as well. The wine cruises tend to attract wine club members of the vineyards hosting the cruise. AMA has actual wine hosts unlike some other lines which set up a few tastings in ports and call it a wine cruise.

I really don't know if we would have continued river cruising had we not tried AMA. They offer active excursions, bike tours and we had fun dancing in the evenings after dinner to the DJ. Staff and crew on our AMA cruises has been young and warm and gracious.

We also look for lots of time in port and overnight stays so we can go out in the evenings.

Thank you ALL so much for responding to this post!!!!! I wasn't sure if I was going to get any replies!

super_grover (Love your handle btw) would LOVE to hear your review when you return. Where are you cruising to?

ewizabeff - same! Would love to hear your review and where you are going!

caviargal - thanks for the response. We are absolutely considering AMA. Uniworld is very intriguing to me because of their interiors which look so sumptuous. And A-Rosa keeps popping up but I don't see enough feedback on them to make me feel comfortable booking. Would really love to hear more feedback from people off those cruises.

Again thank you all for your responses! I can't wait to show my hubby!!!! :)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Thank you ALL so much for responding to this post!!!!! I wasn't sure if I was going to get any replies!

ewizabeff - same! Would love to hear your review and where you are going!

Definitely. I'm going to try to chronicle the trip in near-real-time on my newly launched travel blog: Gross Travel Chronicles

We're doing the Danube Discovery & Prague, starting in Vienna. We've added an extra 4 nights in Prague in an Airbnb. We're traveling with my parents, (61 & 74), so we should be able to provide some perspective from both generations.

Definitely. I'm going to try to chronicle the trip in near-real-time on my newly launched travel blog: Gross Travel Chronicles

We're doing the Danube Discovery & Prague, starting in Vienna. We've added an extra 4 nights in Prague in an Airbnb. We're traveling with my parents, (61 & 74), so we should be able to provide some perspective from both generations.

I look forward to being able to travel along with you via your blog. Thanks for doing this.

MeaganM

My wife and I were on Uniworld's SS Antoinette's Castles on The Rhine tour in July. We both are 50. We found we were on the lower end of the age spectrum although there were a number of couples younger then us. Even at 50 I was conceerned ahead of time about the demographics. On our cruise I believe the youngest passenger was about 12(the only child) with the oldest we met being 96. I would say the largest percentage of people were in thier 60's and 70's. However, it was really strange that after a day or two we really didn't notice the age difference. It was such an interesting and active group of people. Uniworld also offers several level of tours as far as activities which allows you to tour with more active individuals. Also with the bikes, fitness room, and activities such as aerobics, etc... you can gravitate to people of like interest regardless of age. Getting to know the other passengers was one of the highlights of the trip. I would highly recommend Uniworld and like you say the decoration and quality of their ships are outstanding. Especially their 3 SS class ships. Wish you the best on your search

Don't discount we seniors! I look at people as people, not age groups etc. We actually have a lot to offer. My wife and I are 70,have raised and educated 3 daughters, now have 4 grandchildren, my daughters ask me for their tech advice. We have gone on several cruises, spend 4 weeks in Cuba each year. Get to know us, we are OK, lots of experience. I am sure I will get

Sent from my SM-T310 using Forums mobile app

Oops!! Hit send by accident! My husband and I both really enjoy meeting new people. My husband is an avid networker and has no issues starting up conversations with anyone! We also don't tend to judge by the cover so to speak. My best friend is twelve years older than myself. And I love her dearly.

I think he just got skittish because most of the literature depicts an older clientele. I have read that certain lines cater to an older demographic (Gold Circle) and it seems most of the posters on CC are more traveled. I was just looking for input from fellow neophytes. :)

I didn't mean to open a can of worms. It is just that we are all people with interests, possibly can learn from both groups....... Older and younger

Sent from my SM-T310 using Forums mobile app

CWRob - I completely agree. Though it makes us more comfortable to know we will be spending a week with a variety of people (in terms of age and backgrounds) versus being the only 40 something's on a ship with all 80/90 year olds. I would imagine if the tables were turned you would't like to spend a week with a bunch of 20 something's.

We are 60 and 61 respectively and felt young on our recent AMS-BUD cruise (blog link below). The youngest was 37 and a handful in their 40s and 50s.

It is true that the majority is in the retiree age group but it's irrelevant because you go to take in the sights, which are very old. :)

I have been on two AMA cruises - a wine themed cruise and a Christmas Market cruise, in the past year. Both had a varied mix of ages - the first had siblings, family groups (no kids) and many wine clubs. People were well educated and had interesting backgrounds. It was a varied group of Americans, Canadians and Europeans with a few Brits and Aussies. I would say the average age was late 50's as many were early retirees or business owners.

The Christmas cruise was not quite as nice and particularly because of the group of Travel Agents on board. They were in a younger demographic (as young as 20's) and much less sophisticated - like freshman living away from home for the first time. I found them to be loud and annoying. I know they paid special low prices and were not used to this kind of travel - I see them as more the giant amusement park ocean ship types.

We are 60 and 61 respectively and felt young on our recent AMS-BUD cruise (blog link below). The youngest was 37 and a handful in their 40s and 50s.

It is true that the majority is in the retiree age group but it's irrelevant because you go to take in the sights, which are very old. :)

enjoyed your blog and pictures very well done. thanks.