New to Holland America? This is for you...AKA "HAL For Dummies"

Host Walt

I'm sailing on the Westerdam in September, 2018 in a Signature Suite. I thought I had read that suite guests (and assume Signature Suites are considered suites for this purpose) receive extra amenities, such as priority boarding and disembarkation as well as a dedicated"lounge", however I do see such a lounge on the deck plan. Is there anything else I'd be entitled to as a suite guest on the Westerdam? Thanks.

I'm sailing on the Westerdam in September, 2018 in a Signature Suite. I thought I had read that suite guests (and assume Signature Suites are considered suites for this purpose) receive extra amenities, such as priority boarding and disembarkation as well as a dedicated"lounge", however I do see such a lounge on the deck plan. Is there anything else I'd be entitled to as a suite guest on the Westerdam? Thanks.

I'm sorry, but only Neptune and Pinnacle suites receive priority embarkation/disembarkation and access to the Neptune Lounge. The Signature suites do not. Below is HAL's description of Westerdam's cabin/suite categories and their included amenities:

https://www.hollandamerica.com/pageByName/Resp.action?requestPage=ships_msWesterdam&showHeader=true&showFooter=true

Signature Suite Amenities:

2 lower beds convertible to 1 queen-size bed, bathroom with dual sink vanity, full-size whirlpool bath, shower and additional shower stall, large sitting area, private verandah, 1 sofa bed for 1 person, floor-to-ceiling windows. Approximately 372–384 sq. ft. including verandah.

Include all the stateroom amenities, plus:

• New premium duvet, and soft, cotton bathrobes and slippers
  • New binoculars for use during voyage
  • A variety of firm, medium and soft pillows
  • No-host mini-bar for easy entertaining
  • Oversized bath towels
  • One-touch telephone concierge service
  • Fresh flowers
  • Complimentary DVD library

I'm sorry, but only Neptune and Pinnacle suites receive priority embarkation/disembarkation and access to the Neptune Lounge. The Signature suites do not. Below is HAL's description of Westerdam's cabin/suite categories and their included amenities:

https://www.hollandamerica.com/pageByName/Resp.action?requestPage=ships_msWesterdam&showHeader=true&showFooter=true

Thanks. That's what I suspected, but wasn't sure. (The only perk I'd value would be the priority disembarkation, a process I have avoided in recent years by traveling on small ships, like Ponant and Windstar).

Thanks. That's what I suspected, but wasn't sure. (The only perk I'd value would be the priority disembarkation, a process I have avoided in recent years by traveling on small ships, like Ponant and Windstar).

Disembarkation is no big deal in all honesty.

HAL will deliver a form for you to complete and you can choose the time slot you want to get off. Works quite well.

IMO the "priority" for the Neptune Suites + is no biggie. It just means you get off when you want. You don't get in front of the line or anything else. It's just a "leave when you want to leave"

hi everyone...again;

i've tried, really, really, tried to use both search areas to get an answer, no luck 😖.

we have open seating for our upcoming westerdam alaska cruise 4/29 (so excited, first time!!), and want to have a table for two. i read on one of these posts that open seating is only on one of the floors in the MDR. is that correct? i plan on researching that other hal website to see the mdr set up and hopefully pick out a table but not sure which floor to check. also, should we sit on the rail (if we can sit upstairs) or i saw there were a few window two tops.

thanks for your help, yep, i''m an over planner much to husbands chagrin, but he's always happy when it turns out great!!😉

Mlbl4Chris On all my cruises including the Westerdam, open seating was on the lower level. The best bet would be to go to the MDR the afternoon you board. The dining room manager is usually set-up to accept reservations. You can reserve a two top for specific times for that day and sometimes up to three days in advance, it varies with the manager.

Enjoy your cruise - Alaska was my first many years ago. I agree the search tool on CC could be a lot better.

49erteacher.... thanks for the quick response! We have booked a Neptune suite so would it be better to use the lounge concierge or go straight to the MDR?

Btw, SF 49er fan or Long Beach state alum? We’re the latter:hearteyes:

I would check with the concierge first, then go to the MDR if needed. I travel in the cheap seats so don't have access to those perks, but I won't give up exploring the world just because I don't have a window. The 49er is for UNC Charlotte in North Carolina where I taught before retirement. Enjoy the perks that come with the "suite life."

• Like 1

HAL now calls them Gala nights. As long as you have nice pants and a collared shirt, you are fine. Saying this because of your comment on men's dress. Women don't have to wear pants of course ;).

Basically "nice clothes" and no jeans. Now depending on the cruise, you will see people with suits, sports jackets, etc. But it's not required and you will be fine.

How 'dressed up" everyone is depends on the itinerary, demographics of people on board, etc.

Wear what makes you feel good. If you prefer to be less, fine and if you like to dress up, fine too. Either way you will good. Do what's right for you.

The "Know Before You Go" on the HAL site has the "minimum" dress code. It's pretty effotless IMO.

I have seen people frown on and the dining room manager speak to a man about wearing tennis shoes in the MDR on gala night. Don't have to be fancy, but decent shoes are good.

I just learned the Oosterdam doesn’t have self service laundry rooms! Bummer on a 15 night cruise!

None of the Vista ships (of which the Oosterdam is one) or above (the Signatures and Pinnacle class) have self service laundry. Only the older ships offer that possiblity.

HAL has great laundry deals though - unlimited or by the bag. Assuming you are doing the Caribbean, southernly itineraries - unlimited is $7 per day and by the bag is $20 - fill it as full as you can ;)

Good alterntives.

None of the Vista ships (of which the Oosterdam is one) or above (the Signatures and Pinnacle class) have self service laundry. Only the older ships offer that possiblity.

HAL has great laundry deals though - unlimited or by the bag. Assuming you are doing the Caribbean, southernly itineraries - unlimited is $7 per day and by the bag is $20 - fill it as full as you can ;)

Good alterntives.

Thanks. We are on 15 night transatlantic! How big are the bags?

Thanks. We are on 15 night transatlantic! How big are the bags?

We can fit two pairs of pants, two polo shirts, two underwear, four pairs of socks, one dress shirt, one skirt, and two tops. Others may differ in their ability to stuff the cloth bag.

We can fit two pairs of pants, two polo shirts, two underwear, four pairs of socks, one dress shirt, one skirt, and two tops. Others may differ in their ability to stuff the cloth bag.

Thanks!Sounds like we may have to do at least one bag during the trip!

Ralph

Does HAL have non-alcoholic drink packages, or coffee packages, or just the prepaid cards?

They do have drink packages - both including alcohol and not. Just log into the HAL website and go to my reservations and choose purchase. You'll find all the options there.

there are several :)

They do have drink packages - both including alcohol and not. Just log into the HAL website and go to my reservations and choose purchase. You'll find all the options there.

there are several :)

I logged in and there is only a $25 soda card that gives $50 worth. The others are just gift cards with no value savings, $25 is $25 and $50 is $50, $100 buys you $100! no discounts like Princess.

I chatted to double check and same response. No unlimited non-alcoholic drinks packages!

I logged in and there is only a $25 soda card that gives $50 worth. The others are just gift cards with no value savings, $25 is $25 and $50 is $50, $100 buys you $100! no discounts like Princess.

I chatted to double check and same response. No unlimited non-alcoholic drinks packages!

Go to beverages - there should be a Quench package.

It's been there on all my recent cruises. And it's on mine now. I need my laptop to copy and paste the details so I will be back and edit for you.

(p.s. - don't believe everything Seattle tells you. Call 3 times, get 3 different answers. Try chatting again and see if they know what the Quench package is).

Edited to say - here is the Quench package (in red):

14 DAY QUENCH BEVERAGE PACKAGE

Enjoy unlimited mocktails, juices, bottled water (sparkling 330ml or still 500ml), Exploration’s Café Beverages and sodas. Only on the ms Koningsdam, the package includes Freestyle Coca-Cola which provides 100+ refreshing Coca-Cola flavors to choose from. A 15% service charge will be automatically applied to your purchase. The Quench Beverage Package must be purchased for the entire duration of the voyage. All guests booked in the same stateroom must also purchase the package. The package is for unlimited non-alcoholic beverages. The package excludes purchases made in the Mini Bar, Chocolate Seduction, In-Room Dining, beverages purchased on Half Moon Cay. Packages are non-transferable or refundable. No sharing is permitted. Participants may order only one drink at a time. Beverage Management reserves the right to evoke the package if misused and reserves the right to refuse service for any reason.

the package is available on our Prinsendam cruise, was available on our Rotterdam and Westerdam cruises past. Hope this helps.

It's $288.96 on our 14 day segment.

Edited by kazu

Last time we were on Princess (2013), I think the unlimited non alcoholic drinks package for 7 days was $50 or less. I cannot find anywhere in the Oosterdam a similar package. In any event, seems for our consumption, we are better off just paying as we go. I do not think I will drink $288 worth of espresso coffee or lattes. Thanks!

It's been there on all my recent cruises. And it's on mine now. I need my laptop to copy and paste the details so I will be back and edit for you.

(p.s. - don't believe everything Seattle tells you. Call 3 times, get 3 different answers. Try chatting again and see if they know what the Quench package is).

Edited to say - here is the Quench package (in red):

14 DAY QUENCH BEVERAGE PACKAGE

Enjoy unlimited mocktails, juices, bottled water (sparkling 330ml or still 500ml), Exploration’s Café Beverages and sodas. Only on the ms Koningsdam, the package includes Freestyle Coca-Cola which provides 100+ refreshing Coca-Cola flavors to choose from. A 15% service charge will be automatically applied to your purchase. The Quench Beverage Package must be purchased for the entire duration of the voyage. All guests booked in the same stateroom must also purchase the package. The package is for unlimited non-alcoholic beverages. The package excludes purchases made in the Mini Bar, Chocolate Seduction, In-Room Dining, beverages purchased on Half Moon Cay. Packages are non-transferable or refundable. No sharing is permitted. Participants may order only one drink at a time. Beverage Management reserves the right to evoke the package if misused and reserves the right to refuse service for any reason.

the package is available on our Prinsendam cruise, was available on our Rotterdam and Westerdam cruises past. Hope this helps.

Not sure if you are coke fans or not, but there is also a coke package

again from the HAL site after I logged in and, like the other one, available to purchase on my cruise...

14 DAY UNLIMITED COCA COLA PACKAGE

Enjoy unlimited refills of fountain soda for the duration of your voyage. It includes a souvenir cup that you can take home with you. Only on the ms Koningsdam, the package includes Freestyle Coca-Cola which provides 100+ refreshing Coca-Cola flavors to choose from. A 15% service charge will be automatically applied to your purchase. The Unlimited Soda Package must be purchased for the entire duration of the voyage. All guests booked in the same stateroom must also purchase the package. The package is for unlimited fountain soda and does not include canned items. Guests will be issued one specialty cup to be used in connection with this promotion. The cup is not replaceable. The package excludes purchases made in the Mini Bar, Chocolate Seduction, In-Room Dining and beverages purchased on Half Moon Cay. Packages are non-transferable or refundable. No sharing is permitted. Participants may order only one drink at a time. Beverage Management reserves the right to evoke the package if misused and reserves the right to refuse service for any reason.

Hello,has anyone purchased a drinks package , unlimited soda or alcohol on Holland America.My question is, is the 15% surcharge added everytime you get a drink or is it inclusive in the package, such as on princess.Or does HAL add 15% to every drink.thanks